Thaumcraft 4 Hungry Node

tofuturkey

Jul 29, 2019
How do I deal with this kind of node? I can't get close enough to use it, which also makes moving/destroying it rather difficult at best. There is one right next to my home; I didn't realize it was there until quite a ways into the game.

On another note, how big is the radius of a hungry node's field of effect? Or do they vary? I couldn't find any real info on these nodes anywhere. Thanks for the help.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
First dealing with the node: excavation focus (other remote mining stuff like a lase might work too)

As for the radius, i think it is something like 8 blocks, I haven't tested it but every other AOE thing in thaumcraft seems to be 8 block radius.

tofuturkey

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I'll give that a shot. I'm kinda hoping there is a way to actually utilize the hungry node somehow; all those blocks being "digested" by it has to be a pretty good source of aspects.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I'm kinda hoping there is a way to actually utilize the hungry node somehow; all those blocks being "digested" by it has to be a pretty good source of aspects.

When you manage to destroy the node, it will drop essences of the aspects that it has consumed. I ended up with about 9 different essences from a node near me, getting three of each.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I have a hungry node next my basr, its growing and i think i will grow up forever

give it some animals from time to time as a sacrifice and you should be fine... actually... thinking about it.... it'd be cool if you could actually do something like this, and you can somehow "tame" the hungry node and use it for your benefit...

I know people suggested before that the hungry node should lead to an alternate Thaumcraft dimension, which still sounds really cool

tofuturkey

Jul 29, 2019
If the Hungry Node really is useless, I will be rather sad. I might try to contain it sometime and deposit it far away, but I can't believe Azanor would add in a destructive feature into Thaumcraft without there being a purpose somehow. And if someone finds a purpose, please add it to the ftbwiki, so other poor souls don't tear their hair out too :)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
If the Hungry Node really is useless, I will be rather sad. I might try to contain it sometime and deposit it far away, but I can't believe Azanor would add in a destructive feature into Thaumcraft without there being a purpose somehow. And if someone finds a purpose, please add it to the ftbwiki, so other poor souls don't tear their hair out too :)

well... it's useful if you've alot of annoying mobs around, but seeing as capturing it is really really hard... mwyeah...

SavannahMan

Jul 29, 2019
I've experimented on hungry nodes a bit and seem to of found out a few things.

1. They seem to always have the Fames (hungry) aspect in them. However this may of just been coincidence. You might find that the node type is influenced heavily by the aspects in them aka. fames=hungry. death/darkness/undead = sinister. Life = pure. Now it might just be that nodes of a certain type will have a certain kind of aspect in them (particularly in world gen). However if node aspect does have an influence then it would be very interesting to see if this was expanded on in the future.

2. You can collect them in a jar.

3. They can't munch through obsidian and their feeding rate is slow.

4. You could use 2 fillers to surround the node in glass and then put the planks on top and jar the node. Next you could make an obsidian prison for it with an opening which will allow a far away wand recharge pedestal to feed off it. As long as you have a system to stop your wand getting sucked in then you could fill it very effectively from the node. Throwing in the primal aspects along with a tier 7 aspect like fabrico (and practically all the others) could give you a potent source of aspects.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who has frequent contact with the thaumcraft addon bandwagon I can say that hungry nodes being expanded on is a distinct possibility however current focus is on the taint and the nether.

SavannahMan

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who has frequent contact with the thaumcraft addon bandwagon I can say that hungry nodes being expanded on is a distinct possibility however current focus is on the taint and the nether.

Thaumcraft addon bandwaggon? Is this just people making small addon mods or do you have contact with Azanor or Vazkii.

Rather than focusing on just hungry nodes we could have node outputs based on the compound aspects in them:
e.g. Nodes with Herba in boost plant growth.
Nodes with sano in them heal mobs around them.

Anyway, I'm going to pen a few ideas for an addon mod on another post.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I believe I once heard that Azanor has been thinking of changing the node system up a bit... I believe he wanted to take out the option to bottle the nodes and place them somewhere else, and rather give the player the option to create an artificial node instead... don't know if he still has this planned or not, as it looks like he's coding a whole new Thaumcraft version instead of an update for TC4...

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft addon bandwaggon? Is this just people making small addon mods or do you have contact with Azanor or Vazkii.

Rather than focusing on just hungry nodes we could have node outputs based on the compound aspects in them:
e.g. Nodes with Herba in boost plant growth.
Nodes with sano in them heal mobs around them.

Anyway, I'm going to pen a few ideas for an addon mod on another post.
I have contact with:
Vazkii - Thaumic Tinkerer + Botania
LycaonX - Advanced Thaumaturgy
Kihara - Player Beacons
SpitefulFox - Forbidden Magic
Flaxbeard - Thaumic Exploration
Haighyorkie - Known for making videos on TC and addons.

to name a few.

We talk e'ryday on skype chat together and help each other out with ideas and devving.
we even have our own private servers we go on and are in the process of creating a modpack together.
I do hope my credentials are good enough for you.

Now to the point: The idea that was being bounced around was Hungry Nodes being the center for a pseudo-power network, given their unharnessed ability to create energy that would power some items to assist with your thaumcrafting.

LycaonX himself is focusing more on node based guffins as well as thaumaturgy.