Thaumcraft 4 Hungry Node

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I was just flying around my world and I saw a node over water. It looked like it might be a pure node, as the swirly glow was a bit different to normal fuzzy nodes. I flew towards it, thinking I'd scan it and see what it was, when I noticed a squid leap up out of the water and start to attack it! The squid died, and another lept up out of the water and started freaking out at the node. I realised just in time that it was a hungry node! It's sitting right there in front of me now and I'm scared.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I was just flying around my world and I saw a node over water. It looked like it might be a pure node, as the swirly glow was a bit different to normal fuzzy nodes. I flew towards it, thinking I'd scan it and see what it was, when I noticed a squid leap up out of the water and start to attack it! The squid died, and another lept up out of the water and started freaking out at the node. I realised just in time that it was a hungry node! It's sitting right there in front of me now and I'm scared.
CAP-TURE IT
CAP-TURE IT

null123

Mar 27, 2014
FEED IT PIZZA AS A PIECE OFFERING!!! Setup an auto pizza factory, and have it automatically dump into the hungry node :cool:

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Do not taunt, feed, or pet the node. Do not look at the node, do not think about the node. Turn around (SLOWLY) and begin to retreat. Keep arms and legs away from the node at all times.

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to start a new world tomorrow(nothing new for me) and one of my main goals is going to be to capture a hungry node and put it in a dark room behind glass to watch mobs spawn and be eaten >:)

Reactions: guiguilyon

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Leave it alone for ages, let it swallow up EVERYTHING then using obsidian blocks capture it. It takes some planning and maybe 2 people but the amount of essences in it should be massive.

Basically I had one next to my base on the last server I played, he ringed the node with 2 obsidian rings to stop it from pulling him in then created the "jar" with obsidian blocks then used a equal trade focus to replace the obsidian on the jar with glass.

http://postimg.org/image/piw8g2m6h/full/
http://postimg.org/image/jj8hcf1e1/full/

Shame I didn't screenshot the essences that were in it, the list was looooooong.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
So then what do you do with it? Is it still hungry once it's been trapped and released? If you release it and immediately obsidian-wrap it, can it power a nearby wand recharge station or one of the other newfangled node tapping gadgets?

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
So then what do you do with it? Is it still hungry once it's been trapped and released? If you release it and immediately obsidian-wrap it, can it power a nearby wand recharge station or one of the other newfangled node tapping gadgets?

The common thing that I've seen is to taint the node, which removes the hungry effect. From there many then energize the massive node, which *doesn't* remove tainted but *does* remove the node spreading taint. I believe for wand recharging multiple nodes are considered superior to single large nodes.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
instead of moving the node by jarring it up just use a teleposer from Blood Magic. you could even telepose it several times so you can keep moving it to new locations for the node to suck up blocks.
though in my opinion crafting tables are still the best diet for a hungry node.

because I was a bit bored yesterday I jarred up a hungry node in a creative world and kept placing the node down (because I was in creative) and I put together a 5x5x5 area of the same hungry node.
I then kept teleposing these nodes around to new areas for them to suck up blocks, and in the end only a few nodes were left because they sucked the other nodes dry.
but their aspect points weren't that amazing compared to one hungry node that I have in another creative world that I kept feeding crafting tables.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
instead of moving the node by jarring it up just use a teleposer from Blood Magic. you could even telepose it several times so you can keep moving it to new locations for the node to suck up blocks.
though in my opinion crafting tables are still the best diet for a hungry node.

I read that Way blacklisted Thaumcraft nodes from teleposers in the newest versions of Blood Magic. AE2 spatial storage should still work, though.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I read that Way blacklisted Thaumcraft nodes from teleposers in the newest versions of Blood Magic. AE2 spatial storage should still work, though.

MiyW2kw.gif

now I'm really hoping one of the thaumcraft addons steps up to the plate and adds a way of jarring a node without damaging it.
for example what if you'd use arcane glass and silverwood slabs with a bit higher vis cost instead of normal glass and slabs?

along with that... it'd be really nice if there was also a more efficient way of combining nodes and actually being able to nullify effects of nodes by using an advanced node stabilizer

but it seems Azanor is already working on perhaps a new thaumcraft version, because he's been asking for alot of feedback on the current mechanics and if it should be changed or not.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
now I'm really hoping one of the thaumcraft addons steps up to the plate and adds a way of jarring a node without damaging it.
for example what if you'd use arcane glass and silverwood slabs with a bit higher vis cost instead of normal glass and slabs?

along with that... it'd be really nice if there was also a more efficient way of combining nodes and actually being able to nullify effects of nodes by using an advanced node stabilizer

but it seems Azanor is already working on perhaps a new thaumcraft version, because he's been asking for alot of feedback on the current mechanics and if it should be changed or not.

Perhaps it's time for yet another Thaumcraft add-on? Or for one of the existing ones to pick up this functionality?

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
In 41 there was a natural cap in which each node could add aspects, but not any more of the aspects than its natural cap. Is that the same way in 42? How can grow a hungry node?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Perhaps it's time for yet another Thaumcraft add-on? Or for one of the existing ones to pick up this functionality?
It seems odd to me that people are looking for an add-on to remove a feature of ThaumCraft. It's clear that the downgrading of nodes when they are moved is a deliberate design decision. It's not a missing feature or bug or ill-considered side effect.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
It seems odd to me that people are looking for an add-on to remove a feature of ThaumCraft. It's clear that the downgrading of nodes when they are moved is a deliberate design decision. It's not a missing feature or bug or ill-considered side effect.

That so many are speaks volumes as to the popularity behind that decision. Not that there is a way that downgrades nodes but that there is *no* way that *doesn't*, even later on in the mod's progression.

And this would not be the first time, either, that this has happened in modded Minecraft. I recall once hearing that the BC/RC/Forestry would not move to RF, yet now they are there. I recall hearing that RC would get electric rails but not RF rails, yet now they are there. In both cases, the mods shifted just slightly to the desire without losing what they are.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
That so many are speaks volumes as to the popularity behind that decision. Not that there is a way that downgrades nodes but that there is *no* way that *doesn't*, even later on in the mod's progression.

And this would not be the first time, either, that this has happened in modded Minecraft. I recall once hearing that the BC/RC/Forestry would not move to RF, yet now they are there. I recall hearing that RC would get electric rails but not RF rails, yet now they are there. In both cases, the mods shifted just slightly to the desire without losing what they are.

My personal rule is, I bottle nodes in the wild. Once they are in my base I move them around with an archimedes ships console.

I am, unlike many, not a good builder. I reserve the right to smash everything ive built and rebuild it a few meters away / entirely differently. If I followed @Azanors rules on this all my nodes would be fading and consequently unusable.