Request Suggest mods for creation here

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
this is probably more of a wish for existing mods, but it'd be also a nice idea for new mods.
I love playing with mods that add world generation for you to explore, especially things like dungeons and such.

there are already a few mods based around that idea, such like Better Dungeons, DungeonPack, Ruings, Floating Ruins, Battle Towers and Roguelike Dungeons
there's also a few other mods who add world generation aswell, for example Thaumcraft, Unique Artifacts, Twilight Forest and Mystcraft

but there's 1 problem with those kinds of mods... if you have explored one dungeon type, you know exactly what to look out for if you encounter the same dungeon again...
it'd be nice if those world generations could be randomized, so 1 dungeon type can have several versions which can be shuffled with each generation.
one time you'd have to look out for that ladder and don't step on that plate, the other time you shouldn't flip that switch
this way the dungeons will always be a new experience when you explore them, and it'll become more of challenge to clear them
This could be quite possible, It could be done say EX. A castle is split into 8 section and those sections have 4 different possibilities that are generated each time it generates.

Reactions: Yusunoha

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
IDK, i think you'd need a much more in-depth procedural generation- a few layout in different aren't fooling anyone, you learn them all in a week and the rest of the experience is samey. If every layout is completely different, it's a unique experience, but it requires much more work to make a challenging, sensible dungeon then a bunch of caves (due to cave generation not needing a challenge logic other than "expose lots of blocks and spawn monsters while you find and mine the ores")

Skvapter

Jul 29, 2019
A Zombie Apocalypse type deal, I know there were mods in the past like MineZ (Based on DayZ) which was abandoned, but I'd really love a Mod that brings an actual real-ish-but-obviously-not-real Apocalypse into Minecraft. Randomly generated settlements, "Adventure-mode" like gameplay -- definition: Ability to place only wooden planks & such, support beams for actual-realistic-housing; barricades and a lot of other things.
Looting chests (Randomly generated loot for survival.) and killing animals, making farms & surviving seasons (if ever implemented, kind of like TerraFirmaCraft does.)
And of course, HOARDS and I mean HOARDS of Zombies in cities and such, only ever so many when you enter like, for e.g., a woodlands or hill area (non-civilized.)
I'd love a Mod like this.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
A Zombie Apocalypse type deal, I know there were mods in the past like MineZ (Based on DayZ) which was abandoned, but I'd really love a Mod that brings an actual real-ish-but-obviously-not-real Apocalypse into Minecraft. Randomly generated settlements, "Adventure-mode" like gameplay -- definition: Ability to place only wooden planks & such, support beams for actual-realistic-housing; barricades and a lot of other things.
Looting chests (Randomly generated loot for survival.) and killing animals, making farms & surviving seasons (if ever implemented, kind of like TerraFirmaCraft does.)
And of course, HOARDS and I mean HOARDS of Zombies in cities and such, only ever so many when you enter like, for e.g., a woodlands or hill area (non-civilized.)
I'd love a Mod like this.
If only TFC were compatible with other mods, you could just drop Zombie Awareness in the mod folder with it. :/

T10a

Jul 29, 2019
A Blast Furnace mod, which follows the real life process to make pig iron and then you throw the Pig Iron in a Bessemer Converter to make Steel. Manganese not necessary.

Blast furnace inputs Flux (Limestone dust), Iron Ore and Charcoal or Railcraft's Coal Coke on the TOP. Then it cooks up for a while and then spits out Molten Pig Iron (Or Ingots), and also spits out Slag (Compatible with Thermal Expansion's Slag).

Bellows are needed to keep a Blast furnace hot and there are now 3 types: Hand Operated (For the budget jobs, early steel), Mechanical (Compatibility only with Rotarycraft or Resonant Induction) and Electric (Runs off RF). The air from the Bellows can be piped around, allowing multiple bellows to feed a single furnace easily)

the Pig Iron then goes into a Bessemer Converter, where it is blasted with air and further Flux (Limestone Dust) is added, and the Steel is DONE! Adding Manganese Dust (From Mariculture or Metallurgy) will double the output of steel at the cost of ANOTHER ORE mined for production!

Normal bricks cannot withstand the intense heat of 3000 degrees Celsius required for Steel, so Fire Bricks, baked from Fire Clay (Which is Kaolinite Dust and Clay combined in a Crafting Table), are necessary. Iron or Steel is used as a lining for the furnace and Converter.

For budget jobs, you can use an IC2 Forge hammer on a Pig Iron ingot, to make High-Carbon Steel, which is hammered again to make a single ingot. Useful for your first steel ingots, but you'll soon want a Bessemer Converter.

Also, both the Blast Furnace and Bessemer Converter are HUGE Multiblocks (The Blast furnace is 3 wide, 3 long and 8 tall (Told you it was expensive :p), and the Bessemer Converter is a more forgiving 3x3x4!

Side note: Crucible.
This hot puppy uses fuels to melt down metals into liquids, then casted into Ingots with an Ingot Mould. Useful for those without Tinker's Construct.

(I know Railcraft, Tinker's Steelworks AND Rotarycraft has blast furnaces. It would be super cool to see a modder try to code a realistic blast furnace and Bessemer converter!)

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
This could be quite possible, It could be done say EX. A castle is split into 8 section and those sections have 4 different possibilities that are generated each time it generates.

yes, I was thinking of something like that. with that you could also rotate the mob spawning of structures, so one time you could come across a zombie spawner, and the next time it'll be a creeper one
that does makes me think of the spawners of floating ruins, as some of those spawners can actually rotate the types of mobs it spawns

but talking about mob spawning... I sort of feel mixed about actual mob spawners in dungeons in modded minecraft, as it's quite easy to abuse them
I know better dungeons and twilight forest has spawners that are basically an 1 time use, and I like that idea, because that way you can't abuse them too much
it'd be nice if it was possible for a spawner to let's say spawn about 5 mobs before disappearing.

but talking about abusing... I also feel it's kind of hard to balance a dungeon... you want to use as many materials as possible, but some of those materials can be quite unbalanced for gameplay, for example let's say things like diamond blocks and enchanting tables. so I was thinking it'd be balanced if those blocks can be used as they are in the dungeon, but if you try to break them they don't drop anything, so dungeons won't be an easy resource collection.
perhaps the lower parts of the dungeons could drop blocks, with perhaps the risk of perhaps instead of dropping a block, it could spawn a mob, perhaps silverfish (wouldn't it be cruel to have silverfish spawn from other blocks aswell instead of just stone :p )

all in all... I guess there's quite some things that could be changed for dungeon mods...

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
yes, I was thinking of something like that. with that you could also rotate the mob spawning of structures, so one time you could come across a zombie spawner, and the next time it'll be a creeper one
that does makes me think of the spawners of floating ruins, as some of those spawners can actually rotate the types of mobs it spawns

but talking about mob spawning... I sort of feel mixed about actual mob spawners in dungeons in modded minecraft, as it's quite easy to abuse them
I know better dungeons and twilight forest has spawners that are basically an 1 time use, and I like that idea, because that way you can't abuse them too much
it'd be nice if it was possible for a spawner to let's say spawn about 5 mobs before disappearing.

but talking about abusing... I also feel it's kind of hard to balance a dungeon... you want to use as many materials as possible, but some of those materials can be quite unbalanced for gameplay, for example let's say things like diamond blocks and enchanting tables. so I was thinking it'd be balanced if those blocks can be used as they are in the dungeon, but if you try to break them they don't drop anything, so dungeons won't be an easy resource collection.
perhaps the lower parts of the dungeons could drop blocks, with perhaps the risk of perhaps instead of dropping a block, it could spawn a mob, perhaps silverfish (wouldn't it be cruel to have silverfish spawn from other blocks aswell instead of just stone :p )

all in all... I guess there's quite some things that could be changed for dungeon mods...
rotating mob spawning doesn't sound that hard. create a "database" of all the spawners you want to cycle through, and when a thing generates in the world, randomly decide on one of the ones in the database. you could add a conifg file to let people add mobs to the "database" as well probubly. ofc for this to work, they would need to use vannila's spawning system, or maybe have it check during "biome decoration" or whatever phase dungeons are generated in.
better dungeons uses custom spawners so it would be fine, however, HEE would be strange if creepers were in the end structures.... hmmmmm.....

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
rotating mob spawning doesn't sound that hard. create a "database" of all the spawners you want to cycle through, and when a thing generates in the world, randomly decide on one of the ones in the database. you could add a conifg file to let people add mobs to the "database" as well probubly. ofc for this to work, they would need to use vannila's spawning system, or maybe have it check during "biome decoration" or whatever phase dungeons are generated in.
better dungeons uses custom spawners so it would be fine, however, HEE would be strange if creepers were in the end structures.... hmmmmm.....

ooh, adding mobs from other mods to the dungeons... I was thinking of something like that aswell but didn't really know a good way of doing it
I was thinking of perhaps having any hostile creature be able to spawn, with a blacklist of certain entities, but that'd just be too messy to configure and could produce some very unwanted situations...

but that's another thing I always hoped for, dungeons that would feature additions from other mods, like blocks and such, certain entities and rewards.
there's the dungeon chest that could contain some modded rewards, but what if there were dungeons that were themed around other mods? there are already villagers and villager houses for mods, why not dungeons aswell?

I do know that Roguelike has spawners that could allow mobs to spawn wearing armor, so it could be possible to make the lower levels harder to explore by having mobs spawn with better armor at each level
but by reading everything I've posted so far.... I don't think anyone would even want to create a mod like this XD

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
ooh, adding mobs from other mods to the dungeons... I was thinking of something like that aswell but didn't really know a good way of doing it
I was thinking of perhaps having any hostile creature be able to spawn, with a blacklist of certain entities, but that'd just be too messy to configure and could produce some very unwanted situations...

but that's another thing I always hoped for, dungeons that would feature additions from other mods, like blocks and such, certain entities and rewards.
there's the dungeon chest that could contain some modded rewards, but what if there were dungeons that were themed around other mods? there are already villagers and villager houses for mods, why not dungeons aswell?

I do know that Roguelike has spawners that could allow mobs to spawn wearing armor, so it could be possible to make the lower levels harder to explore by having mobs spawn with better armor at each level
but by reading everything I've posted so far.... I don't think anyone would even want to create a mod like this XD
1. a whitelist would work better than a blacklist IMO

2.hmm, like "if "somerandommod" is loaded then, add to dungeongenpool ("dungeonWrandommodblocks", "dungeon2Wrandommodblocks")

cladiniron

Jul 29, 2019
I've been long wanting storage crates. The same function as the Forestry crate that allows you to crate items in to 9x patterns and thusly save room stacking them, but you can't place these items in the world. Something that allows me to place crates containing items packed in 9x or more would be sweet. Barrels from factorization come close, but they hold way too much stuff and interface only in one direction, plus I don't like the idea of getting items out simply by clicking it in the purpose of having a warehouse stacked full of storage crates. Ideally it'd be the exact same thing that forestry has but placeable in the world.

Last edited:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Actually I would like to place those crates in the world- as long as you could see the crated item as a texture effect.
(though it'll be only for the looks- as storing 9 items per block is a little inefficient)
Sadly the really cool mechanics like Foresty's crating get overlooked and forgotten as everyone just whacks it into AE drives.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
A Blast Furnace mod, which follows the real life process to make pig iron and then you throw the Pig Iron in a Bessemer Converter to make Steel. Manganese not necessary.

Blast furnace inputs Flux (Limestone dust), Iron Ore and Charcoal or Railcraft's Coal Coke on the TOP. Then it cooks up for a while and then spits out Molten Pig Iron (Or Ingots), and also spits out Slag (Compatible with Thermal Expansion's Slag).

Bellows are needed to keep a Blast furnace hot and there are now 3 types: Hand Operated (For the budget jobs, early steel), Mechanical (Compatibility only with Rotarycraft or Resonant Induction) and Electric (Runs off RF). The air from the Bellows can be piped around, allowing multiple bellows to feed a single furnace easily)

the Pig Iron then goes into a Bessemer Converter, where it is blasted with air and further Flux (Limestone Dust) is added, and the Steel is DONE! Adding Manganese Dust (From Mariculture or Metallurgy) will double the output of steel at the cost of ANOTHER ORE mined for production!

Normal bricks cannot withstand the intense heat of 3000 degrees Celsius required for Steel, so Fire Bricks, baked from Fire Clay (Which is Kaolinite Dust and Clay combined in a Crafting Table), are necessary. Iron or Steel is used as a lining for the furnace and Converter.

For budget jobs, you can use an IC2 Forge hammer on a Pig Iron ingot, to make High-Carbon Steel, which is hammered again to make a single ingot. Useful for your first steel ingots, but you'll soon want a Bessemer Converter.

Also, both the Blast Furnace and Bessemer Converter are HUGE Multiblocks (The Blast furnace is 3 wide, 3 long and 8 tall (Told you it was expensive :p), and the Bessemer Converter is a more forgiving 3x3x4!

Side note: Crucible.
This hot puppy uses fuels to melt down metals into liquids, then casted into Ingots with an Ingot Mould. Useful for those without Tinker's Construct.

(I know Railcraft, Tinker's Steelworks AND Rotarycraft has blast furnaces. It would be super cool to see a modder try to code a realistic blast furnace and Bessemer converter!)
I won't be going for total realism, but there will be several ways to make steel in Ultratech, starting with an expensive method in the basic alloy smelter, then going to a multiblock blast furnace (good for continuous production, needing an air compressor and producing slag, and must hold molten metal as a heat reserve), and finally an electric arc crucible (fast, small-batch production with a high energy cost).

There is a Tinkers' Steelworks addon for Tinkers Construct which adds a "high oven" and "deep tank" for smelting metals and storing multiple fluids in one multiblock (makes automating your metals production even easier). The high oven has several semi-realistic recipes, apparently produces slag if TE is installed, and does do reducer->oxidizer->purifier to make steel. It even has "pig iron".

T10a

Jul 29, 2019
I won't be going for total realism, but there will be several ways to make steel in Ultratech, starting with an expensive method in the basic alloy smelter, then going to a multiblock blast furnace (good for continuous production, needing an air compressor and producing slag, and must hold molten metal as a heat reserve), and finally an electric arc crucible (fast, small-batch production with a high energy cost).

There is a Tinkers' Steelworks addon for Tinkers Construct which adds a "high oven" and "deep tank" for smelting metals and storing multiple fluids in one multiblock (makes automating your metals production even easier). The high oven has several semi-realistic recipes, apparently produces slag if TE is installed, and does do reducer->oxidizer->purifier to make steel. It even has "pig iron".
Sounds cool! I'll check it out!

(Although it would be cool for Tinker's Steelworks to be standalone!)

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Request: Dimensions using Terrain Generators mod.

Vanilla has a number of terrain generators, and with BoP and ATG installed even more terrain generators are available.

So, I would like a mod that allowed additional dimensions to be created, each using an available Terrain Generator, as well as adding portals to reach these dimensions.

This could allow SMP games (or SSP) to offer superflat presets, ATG generation etc to supply mining and visually stunning extra dimensions, import save games as scenario dimensions that continue to generate properly. And be a lot less complex than a certain other mod that can't actually replicate ATG generation anyway.

Reactions: keybounce

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Request: Dimensions using Terrain Generators mod.

Vanilla has a number of terrain generators, and with BoP and ATG installed even more terrain generators are available.

So, I would like a mod that allowed additional dimensions to be created, each using an available Terrain Generator, as well as adding portals to reach these dimensions.

This could allow SMP games (or SSP) to offer superflat presets, ATG generation etc to supply mining and visually stunning extra dimensions, import save games as scenario dimensions that continue to generate properly. And be a lot less complex than a certain other mod that can't actually replicate ATG generation anyway.

Getting something like mystcraft to replicate another mod's generation is PAINFUL. I've come up with a way, in theory, to do it, but in practice it will probably be hard.

You need two symbols to do it, per world. The inspiration comes from the pair "standard terrain" and "native biome controller" -- which can be renamed as "vanilla terrain" and "vanilla biomes". From that, you can see the potential for "ATG terrain" and "ATG biomes".

Where the problem comes in is the idea of duplicating a mod generation's decorated terrain. Duplicating undecorated chunks is not as hard -- you just need to find a way to ask that mod for a single chunk's undecorated generation, which should not affect or be affected by any other chunk.

If this sounds easy, XCompWiz has assured me that it is really a lot harder than it sounds; the system is not designed for this at all.

Dealing with a decorated chunk is a nightmare in recursion -- any chunk can decorate into other chunks, which will include some not yet generated (so you'll generate more chunks than you expected -- no biggie, you can add those to the world at the same time that you add this chunk), as well as some already generated (which requires you to figure out what modifications need to be caught and placed into an existing chunk), all without polluting the world that already has generated chunks with what the routine you are calling thinks ought to be there.

The context that this came up in was my asking about getting a nether chunk, an overworld chunk, and merging the bottom of the nether chunk (up to about Y=110) with the top of the overworld chunk (down to about Y=45), and in some places, seeing the oceans from the top leak down into the bottom. And, to top it all off, keeping the overworld caves/ravines/mineshafts below Y=45 and letting them alter the lower portion of the world -- such a beast was going to be called the "Lost world terrain".

Due to the expected height of the resultant chunk, ores would be a serious problem. My solution was to let the overworld chunk be decorated -- so it would have normal ores -- and then merge that into the underworld chunk. It was the issues with getting that top half decorated that led Xcw to basically say it was impossible without major changes to the worldgen architecture.

===

Suggestion for a mod: A support framework to
1. Call a world provider for a single chunk in a way that will return that chunk, without putting it into the world, and without generating or altering any other chunks.

2. Decorating a chunk based on a relative offset. For example, normal decorations are based on a Y range of 1 to 64+; mineshafts, for example, start at 45 and go down, "rich" ores are found near the bottom. Being able to decorate chunks based on a range of Y=64 to 127, as a direct translation / Y shift.

3. Given that case 2 will require generating new chunks, being able to catch/trap those, and let the user of this framework use #1 as needed to eventually say "Here is your new chunk to decorate" instead of letting the decorator try to generate a chunk itself.

I suspect this would require significant support inside of Forge itself.

Reactions: Eyamaz

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
A mod that allows you to customize Villager trades. I googled it and found one but it had no features for non-vanilla items and is on hiatus as the creator works on a game. So yea, a villager trade customization mod would be nice.

Reactions: Not_Steve

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I thought of an idea for a mod I call Crushing Limits. What's it about? Well, for starters, it'd have methods of item, liquid, and RF transport whose throughput can be vastly upgraded, with things like...

• Limitless Transport Pipe: The basic pipe for the mod. Think of it like the transfer pipes from Extra Utilities; they connect nodes to one another to form a useable network for transportation. The only hard limit to their transportation abilities is the limit of the long data type in Java. (Read 2^64 signed, so 9,223,372,036,854,775,807.)
  • I/O Block: For connecting to various blocks to the network. It has slots for cards which will determine what mode they're in (send and/or receive) and what they're allowed to accept and/or transmit (items, energy, and/or fluids). It also has a slot to allow certain items like ender pearls, diamonds, emeralds, and nether stars, to be used to upgrade throughput. Each upgrade increases the throughput to the next power of two, so if you input four ender pearls (or whatever the Tier I upgrade item is), your throughput is capped at 2^4 (since all methods of transport start at 2^0), or 16 items, RF, or millibuckets of fluid per tick. The block can connect to a single machine per side, and what each side can input and/or output can be configured in the block's GUI.
  • Four tiers of upgrade materials: To get the most out of your transport network, you'll need to upgrade your I/O Block endpoints. There are four tiers of upgrades, and each tier represents 16 doublings, representing 64 total increases in throughput. As you might now realize, getting all the endpoints of a large network will be very, very expensive.
  • Single-Block Water Generator: Generate water with a single block! Like everything else, this block can be upgraded using upgrade materials to increase the amount of water it creates per tick, as well as upgrading its internal capacity, for a potentially massive amount of water!
  • Ender-Nether Dimensional (E.N.D.) Tank: This wonderful little tank can hold any fluid, and hold a lot of it. You can upgrade its capacity using the same rules as the other machines in the mod, and also use upgrade cards to allow it to store multiple types of fluids, all in a single block!
Of course, it could have other blocks and such that fit said theme of extreme upgradability. Ideally, the player (or server owner) would be able to configure exactly what items are used as upgrade materials. So, if you wanted the Tier 4 upgrades to cost iridium ingots instead of nether stars, you could easily do just that. You'd also be able to configure whether or not the endpoints cost power to maintain, similar to buses and interfaces in AE. There would be no per-block losses, and the pipes themselves would be expensive, but each crafting would net you a large amount of them, say...16 pipes per crafting, which would also be configurable. Also, I/O blocks and pipes would be able chunk load themselves, if configured to do so, but that functionality would be disabled by default, to decrease server load. The mod would keep track of networks, only adding or removing parts of them when necessary; this is to allow for near-instantaneous transport with a minimum of tick-based overhead.

Who would this mod be for, exactly? People, like me, who are sick and tired of needing to switch between cable grades for power, not having a cable available to carry a given amount of power, wanting a way to store massive amounts of fluids without having to bother with GregTech, and a way to quickly transport things without having to rely on Applied Energistics.