Spacetoad is back to modding

Status
Not open for further replies.

smbarbour

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but unlike TE3 which supports RF to MJ natively, BC requires other mods to do the conversion for it. I would love to see BC add a pipe with dependency on te3 being install that will convert mj into RF., Redstone Flux Pipe? Electrum ingot+redstone dust+electrum ingot for 8 of those pips?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk
Buildcraft wants to remain as not having any outside dependencies. Having BC add a pipe would also not address the issue of having Forestry and/or Railcraft installed without BC and enabling those engines to provide power to Thermal Expansion.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
The request was both ways or no interaction. You could just finish the Kinetic Dynamo...

Why should the onus be on only KL to do so. I know that Forestry has one-way compatibility from EU to MJ. What makes that acceptable but the one-way RF->MJ not?

Both CJ and Mysteriousages are now maintaining forestry BOTH

Ah. The more you know. Thanks. ^.^

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft wants to remain as not having any outside dependencies. Having BC add a pipe would also not address the issue of having Forestry and/or Railcraft installed without BC and enabling those engines to provide power to Thermal Expansion.

Problem with this is that it's sort of going "Hey let's compromise! Well...actually YOU compromise. Well maybe not compromise, you do this."

It is beyond trivial from both a code and computational resource point of view to support RF. The same can't be said of MJ - there *is* a computational cost, despite the relative simplicity of the new API.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft and Forestry to add their own then? If TE3 manages to have the conduits power machines for the 2 mods, I see no reasons it can't be implemented by them unless it is excluded by choice.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SynfulChaot

smbarbour

Jul 29, 2019
Problem with this is that it's sort of going "Hey let's compromise! Well...actually YOU compromise. Well maybe not compromise, you do this."

It is beyond trivial from both a code and computational resource point of view to support RF. The same can't be said of MJ - there *is* a computational cost, despite the relative simplicity of the new API.
There is a computational cost any time you call a function. There's an additional computational cost to run multiple power systems simultaneously. There's also an additional memory cost (in PermGen) for the extra power systems.

CovertJaguar

Jul 29, 2019

And Player and cpw have also done plenty of tests that show that 100 Entities take as much cpu, memory, and bandwidth as 100k Tile Entities. So you must also ask if this is even a relevant concern. Remember, we talking a handful of primite value if statements here, not a O(n^2) algorithm. The Hotspot compiler removes most of the so called "cost".

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
And Player and cpw have also done plenty of tests that show that 100 Entities take at much cpu, memory, and bandwidth as 100k Tile Entities. So you must also ask if this is even a relevant concern.

As long as Minecraft is single-threaded, the answer to this is always yes. Every point counts. Also, that benchmark *definitely* depends on the tile entities.

CovertJaguar

Jul 29, 2019
As long as Minecraft is single-threaded, the answer to this is always yes. Every point counts. Also, that benchmark *definitely* depends on the tile entities.

Not at the expense of data validity, consistency, compatibility, and JIT Optimizations it isn't.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
At this point I think we're entering the weeds and I'm going to call a time out and lock this. Lots of informative stuff in here, and perhaps another thread could be created to go through it all, but the clash of philosophies probably at this point isn't doing much to welcome SpaceToad back.

Thanks all for participating. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.