Something The Modding Community "Ruined"

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
And this right here is why even though I do prefer some aspects of TC2 I won't go back, I just love the golems far too much.

Though you did list Taint as a con, to me taint was a major pro either do things right or lose your base and if you happened to have a natural taint field near where you wanted to build, get that research done to clean it up. Also playing tag with tainted creepers was fun.

It's baaaaAAAAACCCkkkk!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8MPq4hyz0cE

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
For the third time.
If you happen to find out that something is not working the way it was intended, you either scrap it or change it. Which is a good thing.
Great, another research system. In the end it's probably going to be you jumping on a table and generating knowledge which you have to bucket up and drink to research things.
Not..really. More like "Doodle God meets Minecraft meets Thaumcraft Research".
"TC 3.1 - Discovery": http://goo.gl/FsjVTW
"TC 3.1 - More on research": http://goo.gl/HJFCSY

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Its not so much crafting, but I'd love to see more mechanics; instead of crafting or pumping into a magic box- a block is placed in world, and then a mechanism makes it into something else. (like AE using a blast to make quantum entangled singularities, of Fz's dark iron/wrath forge).

'Research' would still be NEI/Wiki, but the 'discovery' lies in building a system around the 'machine' to automate the process- so the core mechanic remains the same but there's many ways to go about it.

100+ mods and almost all of them favor traditional crafting or a furnace mechanic over a system with a little more potential.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
--*Personal* view incoming--
In my opinion, "discovery" is great...once or MAYBE twice. (Preferably on-camera for best results. :p ) After that, though, it's a lot more fun to be able to just speed through it so you can get to the fun toys.

In essence, I guess, I'd like some way for the game to be able to check your real-world experience with whatever aspect or item or mechanic instead of just per-world or per-server experience with said aspects, items, and mechanics. That'll NEVER happen (at least, never within our lifetimes), because there's no feasible way to track experiences and memories within the human brain, but still. :)

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
I had a crafting app installed on my phone a few weeks before i bought the game. Mostly to help understand what I was watching in youtube lets play's. To me crafting was never about discovery, so much as a mini game of how many recipe's can I remember before having to resort to my phone or the wiki.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
But I've watched most of DW20's Season 4 where he played with Thaumcraft 2. Holy smokes is TC2 a billion times more awesome than TC3. Makes me want to go back and fire up a modified tekkit instance to play that. I wonder if people would watch a retroMC series.
Someone on a server I used to play on actually made a public modpack using 1.2.5 called Equivalent Nostalgia. http://tigersfangs.com/

Also, modded Minecraft would be just a pain in the ass if it weren't for NEI. I play modpacks with 80-150 mods, and a lot of those mods I have never tinkered with before. I really like the way mDiyo set up the instructions for TiC.

Reactions: KirinDave

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Someone on a server I used to play on actually made a public modpack using 1.2.5 called Equivalent Nostalgia. http://tigersfangs.com/

Also, modded Minecraft would be just a pain in the ass if it weren't for NEI. I play modpacks with 80-150 mods, and a lot of those mods I have never tinkered with before. I really like the way mDiyo set up the instructions for TiC.

This is awesome and I am definitely gonna play it. I might even ask for permission become his primary host on ATLauncher so as to it's easier to get.

Honestly, EE2 was a brilliant mod in concept (perhaps lacking in technical execution, but...). It just didn't play well with IndustrialCraft, and so a lot of butthurt ensued. As time goes on, I've sort of learned that the IC2 fanbase has a small but strident minority of people who want Minecraft to be EVE Online, and I've come to realize I do not like them and do not want to play the game they are making.

Anyone who says it shortened the game need only go to youtube and type "tekkit" and see how many people played for MONTHS in tekkit classic, doing new things all the time, and it was OKAY that they had insane supertools.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
This is awesome and I am definitely gonna play it. I might even ask for permission become his primary host on ATLauncher so as to it's easier to get.

Honestly, EE2 was a brilliant mod in concept (perhaps lacking in technical execution, but...). It just didn't play well with IndustrialCraft, and so a lot of butthurt ensued. As time goes on, I've sort of learned that the IC2 fanbase has a small but strident minority of people who want Minecraft to be EVE Online, and I've come to realize I do not like them and do not want to play the game they are making.

Anyone who says it shortened the game need only go to youtube and type "tekkit" and see how many people played for MONTHS in tekkit classic, doing new things all the time, and it was OKAY that they had insane supertools.
Tekkit was a great modpack, especially for it's time. I played for months on a friends server, nuking each other, making huge systems, learning the mechanics of the mods when together. I guess the thing I liked most about it was the fond memories I had with my closest friends. #touchingpost

Reactions: Museli

Kazeodori

Jul 29, 2019
TC2 vs TC3

Pros:
- System is significantly more automation-friendly than TC3. The mod was more "magitech" than "magic", with machines and power and piping, which is a lot easier to automate and mass-produce than having to manually count out a specific amount of aspect, zap a crucible, and then deal with the alembics.
- Flavor-wise, the aesthetics were more interesting (At least to me. Taint is dark like my soul. :p )
- Dark Obelisks and everything underneath them were the most gorgeous and badass things in modded Minecraft.
- You could actually make useful things that didn't require research.

Cons:
- Not SMP compatible. Part of the reason for TC3 was to rewrite the mod from the ground up to work with Forge SMP.
- Taint was significantly more unforgiving than Flux. All it takes is one misstep or an unlucky world gen and your entire map is now purple.
- Research System was PURE AWFUL. Instead of the at least somewhat intuitive aspect system that TC3 has, in TC2 you'd just waste stacks upon stacks upon STACKS of meaningless items for the purely random chance of maybe getting research done. Instead of burning up all your precious resources at a research table, you'd throw stacks of cobble into the research table and then go get yourself something to eat.
- Significant lack of golems in top hats.

I have to agree with this entire post. I miss having the purple pipes all over the place. Those made it so much fun to have a grid of pipes across the ceiling, to the point of designing a building JUST for that. And finally being able to get into the Dark Obelisks? It was a celebration. Those awesome shiny metal chests and textures. Can we have them back? Growing your own crystals was also kind of fun, even though it was frustrating when you always needed more and they weren't growing fast enough.
For the research system, there was some... Dungeon mod that had TC2 research stuff you could get in the chests. I don't remember what it was called, it's been a very long time. But the frustration of saving up the items and throwing stacks upon stacks upon stacks of items and paper at it and hoping for something to come out of it was ridiculous.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
For the research system, there was some... Dungeon mod that had TC2 research stuff you could get in the chests.

Base normal TC2 had artifacts spawn as dungeon loot. They were the only items to offer a sizeable boost to research chances, but the research system all but guaranteed to burn an item every research cycle, so it was always a matter of "Do I really want to waste this Rare Artifact just to gain a single dot of progress on this theory?" They were pretty much Too Awesome To Use.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Base normal TC2 had artifacts spawn as dungeon loot. They were the only items to offer a sizeable boost to research chances, but the research system all but guaranteed to burn an item every research cycle, so it was always a matter of "Do I really want to waste this Rare Artifact just to gain a single dot of progress on this theory?" They were pretty much Too Awesome To Use.
So they were essentially inanimated Kaminas (Too Awesome To Live)?
If they were, that's like a vegan describing a sandwich with meat or a barbecue - TOO FUCKING BADASS.

SpoonsV

Jul 29, 2019
Crafting is the act of placing things in a grid according to pre-defined pattern. There is no challenge to it. The crafting patterns, even in Vanilla, are not intuitive enough to discover by trial and error anyway. It would take months and you would never know if you had found them all.

That sounds like grinding, not challenging so I'm glad NEI/Wiki's exist. The clipboard in Unleashed is the best crafting aid ever added.

The challenge in Vanilla or modded Minecraft is what you do with the blocks after you take them out of your crafting grid. i.e. Anyone can make furnace but you need some knowledge to automate it's use.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The challenge in Vanilla or modded Minecraft is what you do with the blocks after you take them out of your crafting grid. i.e. Anyone can make furnace but you need some knowledge to automate it's use.
THIS! Make a bronze cast of this post and plaster it everywhere.

Reactions: SpoonsV

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
This is not really why people play industrialcraft. But you could just, you know, remove NEI.[DOUBLEPOST=1377626291][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah well he IS going to replace it with a more activity-oriented thing.

But I've watched most of DW20's Season 4 where he played with Thaumcraft 2. Holy smokes is TC2 a billion times more awesome than TC3. Makes me want to go back and fire up a modified tekkit instance to play that. I wonder if people would watch a retroMC series.
Actually,with you talking about RetroMC,I did a pack for this,if you want a link I could give it
Modlist:
Advanced Machines
Buildcraft
ccSensor
ComputerCraft
EE2(The good and old EE2,so many memories)
EnderStorage
Forestry
IC2NuclearControl(Back when it was stable :p)
Immibis mods(Core,Peripherals and TubeStuff)
IC2(when it was "useful")
InvTweaks
Laser Mod
LP(1.2.5 isn't the same without LP)
MFR(Using BC power frame)
Compactsolars
IronChests
Mystcraft
NEIPlugins(For BC,Forestry,RC,RP2 and TC2)
NetherOres
Railcraft
RedPower2(Back in 1.2.5 days,it was a must have)
SneakyPipes
Steve's Carts 1
ThaumCraft 2(The reason of me making this pack)
Thermal Expansion(In his first days)
WRCBE
Adv Repulsion System(By immibis but I decided to keep separated :p)
NEI
Anyway,I wish Azanor would release another preview of TC3.1,it's looking better than 3.0 atm

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019

Now you're reminding me of my very first go at modded minecraft mass automation: An EE2 "flower" diamond factory running on pneumatics with a Retriever (and eventually two Retrievers, as I expanded the factory floor) pumping all that delicious EMC to charge what would eventually become my Klein Star Omegas. I think I ended up populating the factory floor with something like 100 of those flowers, all geometrically arranged so they were sharing their bordering glowstone.

I probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for that damn thing. That was so much more fun to me than grubbing manually for stuff. Totally overpowered by almost everybody's standard I guess, but it was beautiful watching all the diamonds shuffle along in those tubes I kept under the glass covers... =)

Reactions: Pokefenn

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Now you're reminding me of my very first go at modded minecraft mass automation: An EE2 "flower" diamond factory running on pneumatics with a Retriever (and eventually two Retrievers, as I expanded the factory floor) pumping all that delicious EMC to charge what would eventually become my Klein Star Omegas. I think I ended up populating the factory floor with something like 100 of those flowers, all geometrically arranged so they were sharing their bordering glowstone.

I probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for that damn thing. That was so much more fun to me than grubbing manually for stuff. Totally overpowered by almost everybody's standard I guess, but it was beautiful watching all the diamonds shuffle along in those tubes I kept under the glass covers... =)

Disclaimer: I regret posting this in a moment of weakness, but I did it and there really isn't any way to take it back. I'm having a bad day filled with yak shaving though so take that in account.

This sounds delightful. I really miss this kind of build.

Public confession time: I think I hate IC2 and BuildCraft now. I do not know what these folks are doing but what they have gives me a toothache. And so I sit here trying to put together a modpack for 1.6 and I look at what ForgeCraft2 is running and you know what? I think it's rubbish. It is about as interesting and appealing as the water that collects on top of garbage when it rains over a dump site. The nasty attitude Covert has been throwing my way (sorry I only read your blog and not EVERY git commit, Covert. Please stop implying I'm retarded) and the strong Greg-isms that are flooding into IC2... Not helping my opinion of it.

The technical modded ecosystem is totally broken in 1.6, and the magic mods are conspicuously absent this round. And as such, I've played less than 3 hours of minecraft in 3 weeks (instead spending time on Eve Online and FFXIV). Because I cannot see any fun. I fired up and chain-watched DW20's escapades and he's making the best of it (and I'm happy to see SC2 get some love), but 1.6 has no compelling features and the mods that did go there got worse, not better. Did you see Direwolf20 have to audibly stop himself from cursing and then talk himself down today when he broke a compressor? I lol'd.

So an old-school modpack with some really strong mods sounds incredibly appealing to me, right now. Something where the goal is not to build some arbitrarily balanced tech tree but a really engaging experience that is not outright UN-balanced.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I've played less than 3 hours of minecraft in 3 weeks (instead spending time on Eve Online and FFXIV).

Sometimes it is good to get away.

I've been mixing it up between Skyrim and FFXIV between MC build sessions.