1. Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Something The Modding Community "Ruined"

Discussion in 'General FTB chat' started by Sub, Aug 27, 2013.

1. GPuzzle

GPuzzle New Member

4x4, like the one from Better Than Wolves.

2. matpower123

matpower123 New Member

But what if I like odd numbers? :p
    Anyway,I think 4x4 or 5x5 would work for me :p
    Edit:Fixed a horrible mistake :p

3. MachineMuse

MachineMuse New Member

I'm trying! I had plans for this with MPS but I'm not going to re-explain why I'm fed up with it.

One of the first mechanics of Anima, which I'm working on right now, is to feed animals in order to catch the attention of their associated 'great spirit' who will then provide you with means to contact them and obtain boons and quests.

4. KirinDave

KirinDave New Member

I don't understand, but I'll take your word for it. :)

This is a fantastic idea. If even half of that works then you'll be ahead of the curve again.

Museli and SpitefulFox like this.
  5. MachineMuse

MachineMuse New Member

Err, I mean with MPS in general, not that specific aspect.
    to summarize:
    1) outdated, spaghettified codebase, half of which is in java still
    2) nobody has contributed any new models, which is disappointing, and the customization ui didn't turn out how I wanted it anyway
    3) a lot of it just stands in for functions that other mods provide, for example the omniwrench, and requires me to maintain those features separately
    4) it puts kind of a monopoly on the armor equipment slots
    5) a huge amount of back-end functionality (ie. the tinkering system) is superseded by the Vanilla attribute system, and it'd be a pain to convert everything
    6) it's 'not minecrafty'
    7) both my artists are MIA and I'm nowhere near as good as them
    8) a lot of stuff was written as a hacky workaround instead of just making a coremod or submitting a pullrequest to Forge.
    9) what a lame name! So not 'me'.
    10) TOO MANY BUTTONS

I hope so! I'm a lot more enthused about it, for sure.

6. SpitefulFox

SpitefulFox New Member

Aww. :( That awkward point in development when you realize you've created a monster and have no choice but to put it down and start fresh or just keep tangling it further.

7. MachineMuse

MachineMuse New Member

yep! In addition, I didn't like how the armor part worked. Most people (myself included) would just skip over plating wherever possible.

RedBoss and matpower123 like this.
  8. matpower123

matpower123 New Member

To be honest,I never used any plate,I would just wait until I could get enough stuff for a forcefield-protected MPS :(

9. RedBoss

RedBoss New Member

Well I still thank you for your efforts even if they didn't turn out as planned. It's an awesome option for people who want to stand out in a room of people who were all wearing the same armor.

SpitefulFox likes this.
  10. Sub

Sub New Member

I do however hope you don't give up on such a good idea. You could start everything over without starting as big, I would even pay for a mod which would let you customize a speed to armor level. It doesn't even need to be a full fledged mod just an add-on could work (maybe thermal expansion as its concept is expansion of metals based on heat you could take power(MJ's) to heat the armor's metal and make it more protective but make you walk slower). Nonetheless I do hope you add the tinkering system you had in mind for any mod I had been looking forward to it for a while.

11. fergcraft

fergcraft New Member

Am I the only one who misses buildcraft power pipes exploding. @machinemuse I actually enjoy the fact it's not minecrafty since I feel it gives the mod a nice difference kind of like the universal electric mods. It feels more technology based to me but thats just my opinion.

12. SpitefulFox

SpitefulFox New Member

Having to completely rewrite something from the ground up in order to "do it right this time" can be fairly soul-draining. Working on a new mod instead sounds like a good idea. :)

13. namiasdf

namiasdf New Member

Eh, I can't be bothered to "discover" crafting recipes. If you think half the recipes in FTB have their items placed intuitively, you're in for a long shot. I employ you to imagine a scenario where you accidentally fall upon a machine frame or discover other such things. Though this may the the point to your post, there's only so much nine spaces in a 3x3 pattern can offer in terms of making things intuitive.

14. Sub

Sub New Member

Thats not the point of my post its actually kinda the opposite, the crafting system in minecraft is something no other game has yet I have yet to see a mod that makes something out of it. What I mean by that is I want some mods that improve crafting in intuitive ways. Take for example electrodynamics, you craft your starter items and later everything else is crafted on the world.