Something The Modding Community "Ruined"

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
One of the things I've always respected the most about Thaumcraft and Thermal Expansion is that they have proposed alternative balancing factors besides just cramming more stuff into a single recipe. I really hope @MachineMuse finds her way to this as well (because right now a full powersuit is like you know, a pyramid of solid iron strapped to your chest. Thaumcraft and TE, for their flaws, said, "Well instead of increased cost why don't we take unusual things and ask for your to automate that same sum of resources in new ways."

I'm trying! I had plans for this with MPS but I'm not going to re-explain why I'm fed up with it.

One of the first mechanics of Anima, which I'm working on right now, is to feed animals in order to catch the attention of their associated 'great spirit' who will then provide you with means to contact them and obtain boons and quests.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying! I had plans for this with MPS but I'm not going to re-explain why I'm fed up with it.

I don't understand, but I'll take your word for it. :)

One of the first mechanics of Anima, which I'm working on right now, is to feed animals in order to catch the attention of their associated 'great spirit' who will then provide you with means to contact them and obtain boons and quests.

This is a fantastic idea. If even half of that works then you'll be ahead of the curve again.

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand, but I'll take your word for it. :)
Err, I mean with MPS in general, not that specific aspect.
to summarize:
1) outdated, spaghettified codebase, half of which is in java still
2) nobody has contributed any new models, which is disappointing, and the customization ui didn't turn out how I wanted it anyway
3) a lot of it just stands in for functions that other mods provide, for example the omniwrench, and requires me to maintain those features separately
4) it puts kind of a monopoly on the armor equipment slots
5) a huge amount of back-end functionality (ie. the tinkering system) is superseded by the Vanilla attribute system, and it'd be a pain to convert everything
6) it's 'not minecrafty'
7) both my artists are MIA and I'm nowhere near as good as them
8) a lot of stuff was written as a hacky workaround instead of just making a coremod or submitting a pullrequest to Forge.
9) what a lame name! So not 'me'.
10) TOO MANY BUTTONS

This is a fantastic idea. If even half of that works then you'll be ahead of the curve again.

I hope so! I'm a lot more enthused about it, for sure.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
to summarize:

Aww. :( That awkward point in development when you realize you've created a monster and have no choice but to put it down and start fresh or just keep tangling it further.

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
yep! In addition, I didn't like how the armor part worked. Most people (myself included) would just skip over plating wherever possible.
To be honest,I never used any plate,I would just wait until I could get enough stuff for a forcefield-protected MPS :(

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
yep! In addition, I didn't like how the armor part worked. Most people (myself included) would just skip over plating wherever possible.
Well I still thank you for your efforts even if they didn't turn out as planned. It's an awesome option for people who want to stand out in a room of people who were all wearing the same armor.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Sub

Jul 29, 2019
to summarize:
1) outdated, spaghettified codebase, half of which is in java still
2) nobody has contributed any new models, which is disappointing, and the customization ui didn't turn out how I wanted it anyway
3) a lot of it just stands in for functions that other mods provide, for example the omniwrench, and requires me to maintain those features separately
4) it puts kind of a monopoly on the armor equipment slots
5) a huge amount of back-end functionality (ie. the tinkering system) is superseded by the Vanilla attribute system, and it'd be a pain to convert everything
6) it's 'not minecrafty'
7) both my artists are MIA and I'm nowhere near as good as them
8) a lot of stuff was written as a hacky workaround instead of just making a coremod or submitting a pullrequest to Forge.
9) what a lame name! So not 'me'.
10) TOO MANY BUTTONS

I do however hope you don't give up on such a good idea. You could start everything over without starting as big, I would even pay for a mod which would let you customize a speed to armor level. It doesn't even need to be a full fledged mod just an add-on could work (maybe thermal expansion as its concept is expansion of metals based on heat you could take power(MJ's) to heat the armor's metal and make it more protective but make you walk slower). Nonetheless I do hope you add the tinkering system you had in mind for any mod I had been looking forward to it for a while.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one who misses buildcraft power pipes exploding. @machinemuse I actually enjoy the fact it's not minecrafty since I feel it gives the mod a nice difference kind of like the universal electric mods. It feels more technology based to me but thats just my opinion.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019

Having to completely rewrite something from the ground up in order to "do it right this time" can be fairly soul-draining. Working on a new mod instead sounds like a good idea. :)

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, I can't be bothered to "discover" crafting recipes. If you think half the recipes in FTB have their items placed intuitively, you're in for a long shot. I employ you to imagine a scenario where you accidentally fall upon a machine frame or discover other such things. Though this may the the point to your post, there's only so much nine spaces in a 3x3 pattern can offer in terms of making things intuitive.

Sub

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, I can't be bothered to "discover" crafting recipes. If you think half the recipes in FTB have their items placed intuitively, you're in for a long shot. I employ you to imagine a scenario where you accidentally fall upon a machine frame or discover other such things. Though this may the the point to your post, there's only so much nine spaces in a 3x3 pattern can offer in terms of making things intuitive.

Thats not the point of my post its actually kinda the opposite, the crafting system in minecraft is something no other game has yet I have yet to see a mod that makes something out of it. What I mean by that is I want some mods that improve crafting in intuitive ways. Take for example electrodynamics, you craft your starter items and later everything else is crafted on the world.