Something The Modding Community "Ruined"

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
To me it is still a little early for 1.6 mod packs. Give it some more time. There are still quite a few major mods that are still in the works. I'm not exactly please with the direction of IC2 as well. Also keep in mind that forgecraft is a constant work in progress that they keep updating with pre-release code and more mods. So not all of what you see is finalized yet.

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
There a a few things I am looking forward to for IC2 and Buildcraft in 1.6.2, most notably the chance to 4x ores, the gate conditional for engines to run only when power is requested from the network (Direwolf's recent coverage), and the Floodgate.

Since I moved from 1.4.7, I have been missing RP2's pump for making man-made lakes with no flowing blocks, and the floodgate fills that need. Nothing better than creating waterfilled caverns in a hollowed out mountain.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
4x ores are boring unless you implement them in a "interesting" way.
Every other mod is fighting over it.
When i think about it the only reason im on 1.6.2 is for blood magic and vineacraft when i get it out....

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Yeah.. anything beyond ore doubling is probably overkill and not needed. I usually wind up needing other materials like AE quartz or redstone before I run out of metals. So what is the point if you need to quarry to other needed items. I've deliberately capped my 1.4.7 at 32k. Anything more than that either gets recycled or voided.

Reactions: RedBoss

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
4x ores are boring unless you implement them in a "interesting" way.
Every other mod is fighting over it.
When i think about it the only reason im on 1.6.2 is for blood magic and vineacraft when i get it out....

4x ores?! Link? Sounds cool, but also overpowered :/.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah.. anything beyond ore doubling is probably overkill and not needed. I usually wind up needing other materials like AE quartz or redstone before I run out of metals. So what is the point if you need to quarry to other needed items. I've deliberately capped my 1.4.7 at 32k. Anything more than that either gets recycled or voided.

My concern is that ore quadrupling (it's actually more than that) is just a bait for the switch that is the ongoing gregification.

And 4x ores by itself is not interesting unless its got a beautiful mechanic to back it up.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
My concern is that ore quadrupling (it's actually more than that) is just a bait for the switch that is the ongoing gregification.

And 4x ores by itself is not interesting unless its got a beautiful mechanic to back it up.

I only know a small bit from Soaryn's stream, as I had to leave right after they started talking about it. From what I know, it is macerating the ore, washing it, then some other step, then smelting. Of course, Greg has been rumored to nerf it a bit, possibly bringing it down to 3x, which still is better than the current. If Factorization had more power options and took less time to process, I would go for that, but now IC2 is beginning to take over.

I really hope some GregTech toys make it into standard IC2. I have never played with them due to the ultra hardmode crafting and material cost.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
@KirinDave ok so I'm going to throw some personal opinion here. Please take it as just that my opinion and a point of view based on my own playstyle. I'm not saying anyone else's view or opinion is wrong in anyway here.

Ok so ore multiplication. I honestly dislike it as it is something that was added to assist with the higher needs for modded MC. But really it is only needed due to automation of ore collection and the ramped up need for resources to make most mid to end tier (tier not game there is no end game it is a lie) items. Instead of locking mid and end tier stuff behind some other sort of tread mill (and lets me honest that is all it is a tread mill) that requires some sort of thought early devs chose the MOAR STUFFS option to balance. This started a sort of arms race in mods that has seen all sorts of 'hard mode' recipes in the name of balance. They all chase this same idea of making their high tier stuff use something is hard to farm or multiply. And then some other mod comes along and breaks that. First it was stuff like blaze rods or the ender dragon egg. Then it was nether stars. Now we are starting to see that it does not matter what MOAR STUFFS HARD STUFFS option you go with so other mod is going to break it.

I think we need to get out of this mind set as a community. Do the math for some end tier items like say the 64K storage for AE and you will see the sheer ridiculousness of resources needed. Why? jazz hands that is why. So few people do anything by hand anymore because of the sheer amounts needed. People build systems that auto collect, auto farm, and auto build for them and most of the time you ask people why and the answer is so they don't have to worry about it can just go build pretty stuffs. But why has it come to this in the first place?

Don't get me wrong I am a firm believer in balance and pacing in game play. But I think we have gone down the wrong path in modded MC and I personally would like to see a change. I like how mods like TiC and TC have come in and freshened the idea space up a bit. Sure they are not prefect but they are a fine sight better then MOAR STUFFS as an answer.

Sub

Jul 29, 2019
@KirinDave ok so I'm going to throw some personal opinion here. Please take it as just that my opinion and a point of view based on my own playstyle. I'm not saying anyone else's view or opinion is wrong in anyway here.

Ok so ore multiplication. I honestly dislike it as it is something that was added to assist with the higher needs for modded MC. But really it is only needed due to automation of ore collection and the ramped up need for resources to make most mid to end tier (tier not game there is no end game it is a lie) items. Instead of locking mid and end tier stuff behind some other sort of tread mill (and lets me honest that is all it is a tread mill) that requires some sort of thought early devs chose the MOAR STUFFS option to balance. This started a sort of arms race in mods that has seen all sorts of 'hard mode' recipes in the name of balance. They all chase this same idea of making their high tier stuff use something is hard to farm or multiply. And then some other mod comes along and breaks that. First it was stuff like blaze rods or the ender dragon egg. Then it was nether stars. Now we are starting to see that it does not matter what MOAR STUFFS HARD STUFFS option you go with so other mod is going to break it.

I think we need to get out of this mind set as a community. Do the math for some end tier items like say the 64K storage for AE and you will see the sheer ridiculousness of resources needed. Why? jazz hands that is why. So few people do anything by hand anymore because of the sheer amounts needed. People build systems that auto collect, auto farm, and auto build for them and most of the time you ask people why and the answer is so they don't have to worry about it can just go build pretty stuffs. But why has it come to this in the first place?

Don't get me wrong I am a firm believer in balance and pacing in game play. But I think we have gone down the wrong path in modded MC and I personally would like to see a change. I like how mods like TiC and TC have come in and freshened the idea space up a bit. Sure they are not prefect but they are a fine sight better then MOAR STUFFS as an answer.

That is something I actually referred to in the original post. Once a well known mod does something all the other minor mods just do the same and they don't even have a reason to do so. One example would be dartcraft adds an engine armor and utilities that have been seen in other mods. Why make a mod to do all the things another mod does? My guess here would be something I call "lining" which is the order in which things are available to the player so in this case dartcraft adds other mod's feature's in an earlier lining (earlier game).

now this would happen to all communities not just minecraft community I would say Alblaka Flowerchild Eloraam and Spacetoad are the only modders that are to take respect (or hate) for shaping the modding community. And they all left (except for eloraam kinda) and probably the community was the problem.

Reactions: SpoonsV

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
And they all left (except for eloraam kinda) and probably the community was the problem.
Wait, what? I think Alblaka's still around, just not too active, like Eloraam. Flowerchild left us for sure, he's going his own direction. Spacetoad is still around as well (I think)? I could be wrong with all of these though.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Racing to the bottom of the design space, indeed.

One of the things I've always respected the most about Thaumcraft and Thermal Expansion is that they have proposed alternative balancing factors besides just cramming more stuff into a single recipe. I really hope @MachineMuse finds her way to this as well (because right now a full powersuit is like you know, a pyramid of solid iron strapped to your chest. Thaumcraft and TE, for their flaws, said, "Well instead of increased cost why don't we take unusual things and ask for your to automate that same sum of resources in new ways."

Thaumcraft did this with research and environmental pollution. TE did this by making all the best recipes require molten materials which to this day still fluster novice automators (and I only know one one mod that can really automate the liquid transposer "well.").

But people, and that includes us in these forums, keep using "have you seen the cost? Wooowwwwww" as a balancing factor. "This is too cheap" is a common complaint against Mekanism's ore tripling line despite the fact that it's actually more expensive in terms of actual machine costs. Mekanism just doesn't play quite as deep into the "resource use as gating factor" idea of minecraft balancing.

Indeed. Several of our friends sort of look down on my playstyle as being too slow and not being aggressive enough, but in reality all I try to play to is an organic pace. Like, "I need this so I build it" not "I can accomplish these X things, achieve resource post-scarcity, then make something."

The most amazing thing about TiCo is that there IS a progression from day one to day one hundred. The mod starts out useful and measured, and then proceeds to grow. It us usable by hand, with primitive automation, and with advanced automation. It's a shame mDiyo is feeling so burnt out already.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed. Several of our friends sort of look down on my playstyle as being too slow and not being aggressive enough, but in reality all I try to play to is an organic pace. Like, "I need this so I build it" not "I can accomplish these X things, achieve resource post-scarcity, then make something."

And this right here is probably the biggest point that keeps me form really looking into doing an LP. I think most would find my play style fairly boring as is and add to the fact I do stuff in really weird non-optimal ways just means more complaints that I'm doing it wrong. I have no issue spending hours or days on a system that is only sort of optimal. Case in point my coke system or my BT to EU system. Both horrible ways to do something if you look at just the 'best' way to play. The fact that I actively avoid some of the 'best' mods or tools would drive people batty.