Something The Modding Community "Ruined"

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly would like to see more mods go the way of TiC and TC were there are nice in game docs avable to point you in the right direction.

I would much prefer if they would just make it available on a website. Looking up this kind of stuff in minecraft books that don't remember the page you were on is bloody annoying. I sure hope this 'fad' of in-game books blows over soon. The AE website is a splendid example of how it should be done.

If they provide both, fine. But site/wiki first, in-game books for whoever likes them second.

But anyway, it's miles better than all the mods who rely on youtubers making video's. I mean, seriously, WHY? You can't search in a video, I don't want to sit through 45 minutes of some video just to learn how to create "recipe X".

Sorry, pet peeve of mine...

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
I would much prefer if they would just make it available on a website. Looking up this kind of stuff in minecraft books that don't remember the page you were on is bloody annoying. I sure hope this 'fad' of in-game books blows over soon. The AE website is a splendid example of how it should be done.

If they provide both, fine. But site/wiki first, in-game books for whoever likes them second.

But anyway, it's miles better than all the mods who rely on youtubers making video's. I mean, seriously, WHY? You can't search in a video, I don't want to sit through 45 minutes of some video just to learn how to create "recipe X".

I agree, it's pretty annoying to have to learn stuff in-game sometimes, but in other circumstances its a bit more convenient to have the information readily available in-game (Thaumcraft is a good example).

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, it's pretty annoying to have to learn stuff in-game sometimes, but in other circumstances its a bit more convenient to have the information readily available in-game (Thaumcraft is a good example).

TC is a good example where I much prefer to have the info on a website. I understand it's hard because of the research aspect but having to look up recipies again and again and the stupid book forgetting the location you were on is just bloody annoying.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
TC is a good example where I much prefer to have the info on a website. I understand it's hard because of the research aspect but having to look up recipies again and again and the stupid book forgetting the location you were on is just bloody annoying.

Eh, I see what you mean. Maybe it would be best to have a website and a book for every mod :p.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

If only there was some tool you could use in game to look this stuff up quicker then digging through an in game book or visiting a website....

Reactions: GPuzzle

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
If only there was some tool you could use in game to look this stuff up quicker then digging through an in game book or visiting a website....

Are you referring to NEI? That new WikiLink mod? Or actually inquiring? :p

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Are you referring to NEI? That new WikiLink mod? Or actually inquiring? :p

Just being a little silly. since the point of the thread is that things like NEI and Wikis are basicly as the op belives ruining the game so to speak i found it amuing to suggest that as the answer to the fellow that has a haterd for in game documation.

Reactions: Symmetryc

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
What? I didn't play TC2 all that much, but I don't remember it being that good. What made it so much better?

To clarify, I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just asking for your opinion.

TC2 vs TC3

Pros:
- System is significantly more automation-friendly than TC3. The mod was more "magitech" than "magic", with machines and power and piping, which is a lot easier to automate and mass-produce than having to manually count out a specific amount of aspect, zap a crucible, and then deal with the alembics.
- Flavor-wise, the aesthetics were more interesting (At least to me. Taint is dark like my soul. :p )
- Dark Obelisks and everything underneath them were the most gorgeous and badass things in modded Minecraft.
- You could actually make useful things that didn't require research.

Cons:
- Not SMP compatible. Part of the reason for TC3 was to rewrite the mod from the ground up to work with Forge SMP.
- Taint was significantly more unforgiving than Flux. All it takes is one misstep or an unlucky world gen and your entire map is now purple.
- Research System was PURE AWFUL. Instead of the at least somewhat intuitive aspect system that TC3 has, in TC2 you'd just waste stacks upon stacks upon STACKS of meaningless items for the purely random chance of maybe getting research done. Instead of burning up all your precious resources at a research table, you'd throw stacks of cobble into the research table and then go get yourself something to eat.
- Significant lack of golems in top hats.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
The 3x3 crafting system is pretty poor for experimentation. It's too simple for people to just make detailed representations of objects to see if they're craftable, but it's too complex for people to just throw random items in and see if they're recipes. Do you know how many different combinations and arrangements of items you can fit into a 3x3 grid? o_O

It'd be slightly more feasible if all recipes were shapeless and was just a matter of "What if I combine... THESE ITEMS?"

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
TC2 vs TC3

- Significant lack of golems in top hats.

And this right here is why even though I do prefer some aspects of TC2 I won't go back, I just love the golems far too much.

Though you did list Taint as a con, to me taint was a major pro either do things right or lose your base and if you happened to have a natural taint field near where you wanted to build, get that research done to clean it up. Also playing tag with tainted creepers was fun.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Though you did list Taint as a con, to me taint was a major pro either do things right or lose your base and if you happened to have a natural taint field near where you wanted to build, get that research done to clean it up. Also playing tag with tainted creepers was fun.

I listed it as a pro too! I love me some dark purple! ^_^

Anyways, from what I've seen, once taint takes hold, it's extremely difficult to get rid of. Can you imagine playing SMP with that mechanic? All it takes is one goofball being careless with their piping and tainting the map for everyone else.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I listed it as a pro too! I love me some dark purple! ^_^

Anyways, from what I've seen, once taint takes hold, it's extremely difficult to get rid of. Can you imagine playing SMP with that mechanic? All it takes is one goofball being careless with their piping and tainting the map for everyone else.

Or one person that enjoys greifing as it is fairly easy to delibertly make taint spread.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I totaly disagree with the OP...
Crafting is and was never fun for me, it was means to an end.
If I had not stumbled on the minecraft wikki I would NOT have continued to play. Imagine trying to discover how to make a piston and not useing the wikki, and as we know pistons open up a hell of a lot of possibilities.
I know if I didn't have NEI and or wikkies I would have stopped playing ages ago due to assuming the game has way to little content despite the truth of the matter.

Sub

Jul 29, 2019
I've read through the different opinions and I think I was misunderstood in my point.

I never said I wanted a community without wikis or NEI I was trying to induce the use of implemented crafting assistance within the mod itself or having an original crafting system, that and also remove the mentality of "just let the player use NEI" that the current modding community has.
However my main point was of how powerful crafting could be and how underestimated it is right now. There are millions of mod possibilities that are opened up by vanilla crafting, yet no one thinks its 'good enough'.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
I have being playing this game for a very long time and I have never seen crafting as a game of 'discovery' but more a mini game of acquisition and combinations. Minecraft has always been known (before mods) as a game that you have to read the wiki to play.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Crafting has never been about discovery for me. Crafting is a necessary part of the game, but not an exciting part. I've had the wiki at my side from day one playing minecraft. Couldn't live without it. Now with NEI, I couldn't be happier, since FTB has a bazillion things to try and discover/remember, a few orders of magnitude beyond vanilla. I don't think the game would be enjoyable without something like NEI and the recipes it gives us easy access to. If I had to look everything up on a wiki it would slow me down so much it would be awful. That's just my opinion, I understand your point but I'd have to imagine you're in the minority on this one. In my month playing FTB, my main goal has evolved (once I discovered the great ME storage) to try and make everything I craft as automated as possible (via the molecular assembly pattern stuff) so I never have to look up a recipe ever again!
Pretty much this. I have never guessed after finding the wiki and before that either the most diverse recipe was a torch or I never crafted it.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I've read through the different opinions and I think I was misunderstood in my point.

I never said I wanted a community without wikis or NEI I was trying to induce the use of implemented crafting assistance within the mod itself or having an original crafting system, that and also remove the mentality of "just let the player use NEI" that the current modding community has.
However my main point was of how powerful crafting could be and how underestimated it is right now. There are millions of mod possibilities that are opened up by vanilla crafting, yet no one thinks its 'good enough'.
And I'm saying that the modders are straying away from discovery based features becasue a lot of us (citation needed) don't like that sort of thing. Lord knows I'd play more with thaumcraft if the discovery thing was MORE controllable.