Should ic2 be boycotted untill the power system is fixed ??

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
The general gist of it is X mod user is under the opinion the popularity=success and thinks that telling us not to play Ymod will convince Ymod's dev to redesign his/her work according to X's opinions...
I never read the original post either. If someone who doesn't mind going blind and wants to let me know I'm on the right track.
in other words, OP thinks that meaningless thing(boycott) actually has a meaning?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Personally I'd just say eff it, quit modding forever and go play flappybird or something instead. But I do hope ppl give the frustrated OP a moderated break.

I hate it when folks dogpile ppl, and forum folks in particular tend to smell blood and get caught up in the fun at some dood's expense.

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
The machines exploding in IC2E is disabled. However, I haven't found a way to disable it in GT's configs. I really wish the machines would catch fire before exploding so I can disconnect them and put the fire out before they go BOOM. I've had to rebuild the same tunnel at least 3 times due to various power management mishaps during various reconfigurings.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
The rage is strong within this one.
dude.... rage is all up in this thread.[DOUBLEPOST=1394823094][/DOUBLEPOST]
Does anyone else feel the need for an official Mod Bitching thread? Just so we don't create 20 of these a week. We can argue about the next GregTech *or DartCraft* all without threads needing to be closed.

* I love both of these mod. DC was the first mod I "endgamed" in Unleased.
Anybody who doesn't love these threads is lieing to themselves and everyone else. They are destructive however. Seconding an official mod bitching sub forum.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
All I can say is, even though it took them a few years to realize it, even BuildCraft decided it was for the best to nix exploding pipes, especially after TE came along and made versions which didn't explode that became fairly popular in a short time. By making explosion mechanics worse IC2 is only moving us backwards, in my opinion. Especially when you take into account how much more aggravating it is to re-craft something now which you exploded.

Id bet $100 that is not why they removed it. They still ahve items popping out of BC pipes, if anything was going to change it would be that. I asked just the other day if that had changed, and spactoad said there was no change and no plan to change pipes to not drop items.

If BC wsa changing like you said, pipes would work more like item ducts. BC wants to keep small things in that punish you if you fail. Popular also does not mean 'better'.

Mods that have no penalties are like if someone could install a mod that kept mario from dying when he falls in a hole. "This mod puts mario back up to a safe area if he would fall in a hole! No more tedium and aggravation of having to restart levels!"

Restarting levels IS aggravating. And when you finally beat it, it's much more satisfying than if you had a mod that kept you from dying. Next thing you know, they will put mods in these packs that let you skip nighttime completely, to avoid the 'tedium of avoiding mobs!'

Oh wait... Morpheus and Sleeping Bags. They already did.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The machines exploding in IC2E is disabled. However, I haven't found a way to disable it in GT's configs. I really wish the machines would catch fire before exploding so I can disconnect them and put the fire out before they go BOOM. I've had to rebuild the same tunnel at least 3 times due to various power management mishaps during various reconfigurings.

Can't see it myself either. (its somewhere)

but in the Gregtech.cfg
Code:
####################
# machines
####################

machines {
    B:constant_need_of_energy=true
    B:explosions_on_nonwrenching=true
    B:fire_causes_explosions=true
    B:lightning_causes_explosions=true
    B:machines_flammable=true
    B:rain_causes_explosions=true
    B:wirefire_on_explosion=true

Disable wirefire, and use a sacrificial block (transformer/machine box ect)

worth a try right?

Buildcraft pipes/explosions

Buildcraft pipe explosions were a recent thing.
-older versions of BC the energy pipes never exploded- ENGINES did, and they still do- from overheating, not excess energy in pipes mind.
Pipes blowing seem to come in around the same time as thermal expansion.
(along with rumors of a nerf/change to pipes to 'encourage' use of more expensive conduits)
Source= mention on forgecraft?, several locked threads somewhere on here.​
--the changes to the quarry and filler also happened around this time.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I like to say "you can make it profitable, or you can make it properly."

It's tough refusing to appeal to the common denominator. Or, using TV as an example, difficult making any show that isn't 'Reality TV', e.g, TV for Stupid People.

*duck duck duck*

And this is why people get so enraged. Try finding a history documentary on the History Channel anymore. Instead we get Duck Dynasty. Or whatever. Popular opinion ruined it for people who wanted something more than reality TV. :/

So please, just leave iC2 alone people. Some of us want penalties! We want to die when we fall in a hole on mario brothers!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Funny you used history channel example. I was thinking the precise same one. I can't learn about ancient civilizations or WW2 or anything anymore. On the other hand I can learn how to pawn my grandparents furniture or how to cook. Um. Tangent, sorry.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
And this is why people get so enraged. Try finding a history documentary on the History Channel anymore. Instead we get Duck Dynasty. Or whatever. Popular opinion ruined it for people who wanted something more than reality TV. :/

So please, just leave iC2 alone people. Some of us want penalties! We want to die when we fall in a hole on mario brothers!

You can say that again.
(though this covers the entertainment industry in general)

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Id bet $100 that is not why they removed it. They still ahve items popping out of BC pipes, if anything was going to change it would be that. I asked just the other day if that had changed, and spactoad said there was no change and no plan to change pipes to not drop items.

If BC wsa changing like you said, pipes would work more like item ducts. BC wants to keep small things in that punish you if you fail. Popular also does not mean 'better'.

Items popping out of pipes isn't exactly a catastrophe though, it just means you have to design your pipe network properly, the means to do so pretty much existing entirely in the pipes available in the base mod. Some people liked items popping out on a full inventory so that the system still worked, while other people liked the RedPower style of blocking things up. Each had their advantage, depending on the application.

Power pipes exploding was a catastrophe, and one that could happen extremely easily, such as when a machine stopped drawing power and you weren't standing there waiting to shut the power off again. Railcraft made the rolling machine constantly suck up 1MJ/t just to work around this problem, but other mods that started taking advantage of MJ did not. BuildCraft doesn't want a way to store MJ, but also designed combustion engines so that they have to completely cool down before they'll run again, so even using gates to control power generation doesn't really deal with the issue. TE quickly made BC's power pipes become just an early-game item to use until you could get conduits, and I think BC finally made the right choice to mimic that in order to make their pipes remain relevant.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
And this is where I start being baffled. Why do you care? You and many other people in this thread play GregTech, and at this point GregTech may as well be a completely different mod that stole a few features from IC2.

As much as I dislike GregTech, I will say that it's a success: it has a specific target audience that it focuses towards and it is very popular with that audience. IC2E decided to say "screw you" to a large portion its old targeted playerbase and went another direction entirely. So yeah, people pretty much hate it for that.

Changing targeted playerbases suddenly is a massive dick move in Modded MC, and this becomes even worse the longer your mod has been out on the market building up an established playerbase. So when IC2E decided to change playerbases entirely after building one up since Minecraft's beta......this happened.

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
Can't see it myself either. (its somewhere)

but in the Gregtech.cfg
Code:
####################
# machines
####################

machines {
    B:constant_need_of_energy=true
    B:explosions_on_nonwrenching=true
    B:fire_causes_explosions=true
    B:lightning_causes_explosions=true
    B:machines_flammable=true
    B:rain_causes_explosions=true
    B:wirefire_on_explosion=true

Disable wirefire, and use a sacrificial block (transformer/machine box ect)

worth a try right?

Try hooking up an 8k source to an unmodified charger box. You'll have an explosion equivalent to about 4-6 TNT blocks going off all at once. I'm not placing 25 obsidian around every block just in case I grabbed the wrong stack out of my inventory. (The 4x transformer upgraded charger box looks just like the normal one as an item.)