Should ic2 be boycotted untill the power system is fixed ??

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Rotary craft fans work as far as I remember.
I tested yesterday to see if they worked on the food crops like sweetcorn. They don't unfortunately. I have heard they work on the other crops before though but I already set up my MFR space for them so I didn't test that. It would be great if it did work though. I really like fans because they are one of a very small number of farming machines that take advantage of the vanilla mechanic that crops planted in rows have a greater chance of growing per world tick.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
I don't care for IC2 anymore so... I only use it for the crops and the scaffolds.
a few other mods already add scaffolds, so now if only a mod would take the crop system, and actually improve on it, I can ditch IC2 completely
That's pretty much exactly my thoughts (except for the scaffolding because I always forget about that :p).

Actually I put some thought into this as I consider replacing the crop system one of the mods I'd like to make if I ever get into modding minecraft.
As that currently is a very big if, I'll share my ideas, everyone is free to take up on them.
  • Make it a simple mod (my name idea was something like "Simple Crops"), KISS-principle all the way. The only item in it would be the crop sticks. No cross-breeding shenanigans
  • Mostly keep to the basic functionality (make vanilla crops more convenient), maybe some simple mod crops (barley, canola etc)
  • Rebalance it. It makes things more convenient, so give it some caveat. Crops that do not need replanting (reeds, melons, pumpkin) grow slower, others don't drop their seeds (wheat) or drop less (carrots, potatoes) with vanilla growth speed.
  • Make it work with mechanics people are used to. Growth enhancers work (eg Bonemeal, lamp of growth, etc). Autofarmers (eg MFR, golems, etc.) work

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is the 1.7 IC2 now complete, with respect to the E Net? In 1.6 I was told you can just run any wire anywhere, its like thermal expansion 2, just one wire can carry almost infinite power, just plug and go, etc. Im excited for the new e-net, it sounds challenging for the reasons you described.
Ehm yeah in essence the 1.6 E net works like you describe due to the fact that the team disabled explosions of cables. So you can run endless EU/t through cables without them burning out, which is sadly exploitable. This is perhaps the one gripe I have against the IC2 team, that they left it hanging here in 1.6 as they moved onto 1.7.

I've given up on IC2 a long time ago, not too long after I realized that basically all alternatives are considerably simpler, more efficient, more intuitive and less restrictive than it. As I see it, the only reason people still cling to that mod is because they're used to it. I have to admit that using IC2 was fun, though, maybe from when I found out about modded MC back in 1.2.5 to somewhere around 1.5.
The only good things about the 1.6 version, in my opinion, are how it got more ways to generate power (or a way, I can only remember one new generator) and how nuclear power is actually useful now.

Anyway, I don't think you're going to be able to convince people to stop using IC2. The best you can do is stop using it yourself.

Yeah its easy to make assumptions about other people isn't it? I loathe how every new mod(perhaps except Reikas) is all about "simpler, more efficient, more intuitive". I want some complexity back into the game. I liked that engines exploded when they didn't have anything to consume its power. That meant I had to be creative with automatic controls to automate turning them on and off. I don't want 6x ore multiplication. I thought fatorizations 3x was a stretch, but it was offset by its long cycle time of the crystallizer. And I liked the TC3 aura system where the nodes worked as a giant network sharing vis, it was brilliantly made!

And I can only shake my head of all the people shouting that IC2E brings nothing new to the table. No it is not a complete rewrite of the mod. but if you actually take the time to try it out you will see that a lot of new things and content have been added and updated. And if we actually had more of the IC2 support mods in the popular packs, then I am sure it would be a whole lot more popular. Take Gravisuite for example, it add upgrades to the IC2 Diamond drill that makes the TiCo tools seem like children's toys.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Boycott... Meh. IndustrialCraft has its audience so you're just starting a flame war. The growth of the modding community has added LOTS of choices and information which negates the need to focus so desperately on one mod.

You aren't chained to IC2 like the 1.4 FTB packs were. You have access to configs andplenty of guides on how to alter them. There's lots of ways to compile your own modpack and use only those mods you enjoy. There's also more launchers and modpacks out there. Essentially you have choices other than trying to force one mod to be something its not.

If anything, the changes in IndustrialCraft have definitely become more polarizing. So take from that what you will. But please don't draw the trolls out with a boycott post.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Random question #2. What is a boycott? Because i always thought it was a boy wearing a cott but then i saw this post....
It's when people get together and bitch in unison, AFAIK.

My thoughts on IC2EX: We don't need to boycott a WIP product, let alone a rebuild of an OLD old mod. Should we all stop using it? If it wasn't any fun anymore, and was glitchy as hell, had no cool content, and never did, then sure. But then we wouldn't be using things like OreSpawn either, as that fits into that group.

But because we have plenty of options, should we move away from IC2? Again, it's not needed to have a exodus from it due to new mods cropping up. If it was dead, sure, have your exodus and come back to the land of "up to date mods". Now it's on 1.7 for cripes sake. We're technically falling behind.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to propose a boycott of ic2 at least until they pull their heads out of their asses regarding the issues with the new energy net design.

the proposed system in the experimental version is a violation of everything that i know about electricity. and the understanding that you need to control how much power is generated to prevent explosions is complete crap since most generating devices don't have any sort of throttling mechanism. the fact that the experimental disabled machine block explosions is proof that even they understand that their system has serious issues.

their system is essentially assuming that all generation devices and power storage modules are wired in series rather in parallel like any sane energy grid would do.

essentially the original system of different voltages was far superior and easy to maintain.

think about it this way

you have a house powered by a single small generator and a house that is wired to the nuclear plant next door. now in a normal network the voltage output from both plants is steady or fluctuates slightly based on draw.

with the new system your essentially stating that the nuclear reactor is constantly forcing it's entire output down the line at extreme voltage blowing out every item in the house rather than it;s normal behavior of simply allowing a higher amperage draw from the machines.

now amperage is a concern for systems because the higher amperage the more heat is generated in the wires.

the new system appears to be trying to add new dangers by allowing a system to be overloaded by placing too many machines on a single cable.

the issue is that this would never cause the machines to explode since machines draw amperage amperage unlike voltage is not a measurement of how much force is applied by the current but rather how much current is traveling through the wire. when you have a machine drawing more amperage than the system supports the wire will overheat and possible burn out however the machine will NEVER EXPLODE.

the new system is an abortion of both game mechanics and a violation of the most basic laws of nature created by incompetent and sadistic developers that are essentially greifing the mine craft community on a massive scale. ic2 does not need an additional layer of asinine complexity when it makes no sense. it is not balance at this point it is just stupidity.

if you want a simple test to see how retarted the new ic2 energy net is do a simple home experiment get a few 9 volt batteries about 10 of them. and get a fan or motor that runs on it.

now first off assume a battery is a cesu/mfe

try it in 2 configurations the first connect the wire to all of the batteries the positive wire connects to all the positive terminals and the negative to all negative terminals.

this is the original energy net you have a large capacity however your limited in voltage. the fan / motor will run for a long time,

now take those same batteries and snap them together in a chain positive to negative until you have a line of batteries with a single positive and a single negative. "wear gloves"

now you'll notice same number of batteries however you'll see some fireworks and the motor / fan will blow up or burn out. this is the new ic2 energy net concept and it is retarded because no one would ever wire up a energy circuit this way unless they were intentionally trying to achieve a high voltage output which most people would use transformers for. there is no valid excuse for stupidity and no justification for this new system

if they want to take overloaded circuits into account than they should do what sane people do and have circuit breakers in the storage units that trip when too much energy is drawn or simply destroy the wiring. but overloaded wires will never ever ever cause a machine to explode but may set your walls on fire if there is no breaker

How can I take you seriously if you can't grammar?

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
lol. Seriously OP, LOL.

LOL

Just disable it in the modpack. Problem solved. I mean if you're concerned with realism, here's something to think about: Punching trees to get wood, and then the rest of the tree floats there. First thing you do in any Minecraft world should get rid of the thought that this game is going to follow the rules of the real world.

Please stop before you embarrass yourself further.
The biggest problem for gaming forums is that OP stands for overpowered and original poster. For a second there I was reading your post as if you meant punching wood was overpowered, which is a rather extreme point-of-view and also off-topic.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't really agree with the original poster on this, but I don't think throwing around attacks is necessary either. Maybe restrict comments to "I don't agree" instead of variations on "you're an idiot"?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yep, you can hire some RotaryCraft fans and they would collect crops for you for a small amount of HSLA steel.

What are exactly the changes OP is talking about, BTW?
IC2 power no longer transmits via eu per packet, but rather by eu per tick, more or less similar to some other familiar systems such as RF.

Likewise the wires now have a maximum capacity similar to BC or TE wires.

Basically, you used to be able to send tons of power down a IC2 line so long as it was sent in "sufficiently small pieces". You can't do that anymore.

I see benefits to all systems and have no real opinion on the matter.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I haven't used IC2 for quite a long time... The whole "voltage" concept in IC2 was quite artifical before. How losses are calculated now? What happened to solar trees? Is the only good way to generate power still either spamming widmills/solars or making stupid single-block supersolars/superwindmills?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So while I admit I wasted my prime chance for this, it's never too late for a MEME.
0a8.png

And thus sums up my thoughts on this thread as per OPs intent.
Keep Calm and Carry On.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, I haven't used IC2 for quite a long time... The whole "voltage" concept in IC2 was quite artifical before. How losses are calculated now? What happened to solar trees? Is the only good way to generate power still either spamming widmills/solars or making stupid single-block supersolars/superwindmills?
I thought the concept was kind of interesting and made for coolish energy grids. I liked the idea that high voltage could overwhelm a system (but would have preferred to see machines go into "broken" state rather than explode, personally).

Power is easily created in similar methods to RF. Basically you can do the good old treefarm/steam turbine thing if that's your style, or import lava, or go nuclear. I myself steered clear of lava, solar and wind to keep things interesting.

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
Is it sad that my solution has been to install enough transformer upgrades in everything to run on an 8k grid and only supply 8k power to the line?