Should ic2 be boycotted untill the power system is fixed ??

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Ew, that is way too OP. Not for me.
To be fair, it's faster when you upgrade it to the high heavens, and does seven when you use the highest tier of factory, and IIRC, still uses the same amount of power per "smelt", so it's not any cheaper in that regard.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Ive been tempted to add mekanism as an IC2 replacement. It looks like it could be useful and fun but on the other hand it has that not-quite-right universal electricity look and feel to it (I know its not a UE mod anymore but still). Last time I tried it though my world was overrun with zombies wearing obsidian/lapis/glowstone armor.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Ive been tempted to add mekanism as an IC2 replacement. It looks like it could be useful and fun but on the other hand it has that not-quite-right universal electricity look and feel to it (I know its not a UE mod anymore but still). Last time I tried it though my world was overrun with zombies wearing obsidian/lapis/glowstone armor.
Don't want zombies wearing tons of armor? Don't add Mek Tools. It only adds tools/armor using some of the weirder things you can make in an Osmium Compressor. Oh, and it adds PAXELES for every tool type.
That alone means I will never use that addon.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, well thanks for telling me that. I never got a response in the MCF thread when I posted about it. Im sold, Ill try mek.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Don't want zombies wearing tons of armor? Don't add Mek Tools. It only adds tools/armor using some of the weirder things you can make in an Osmium Compressor. Oh, and it adds PAXELES for every tool type.
That alone means I will never use that addon.
But the steel tools are soooo good. Mine obsidian no problem

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't look so bad to me, and having an expensive recipe doesn't make it balanced. Still not impressed.
The thing drains a crapton of power, which is configurable. Multiply it by 2 or more and have fun trying to power it. Ironically, the Induction Furnace is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper (to make and run) and still faster, but the reason the Mek factory is good is because it can split up stacks into small pieces, making it a godsend for processing things like single stacks.

On another note, Mek can process ores up to 4x renewably (5x is.....ouch). Do note though that 3x requires massive amounts of power to work on a large scale and 4x requires so many resources just to set up that it's almost hilarious: the lowest entry cost is a few hundred copper and steel, and something that cheap will be so slow that you may have not even bothered.

Last edited:

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
It doesn't look so bad to me, and having an expensive recipe doesn't make it balanced. Still not impressed.
It requires
A) infrastructure
B) a bunch of diamonds
C) tons of energy
So before you call OP try to do it in survival

Reactions: Padfoote

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Ima gregtech player. It's cheap compared to things other I've seen, and with y'all and you're cheaty ender quarrys, materials is never a problem.
Hence why GregTech should never be used in a balance discussion aside from one about itself.

Point is, it's hilariously expensive compared to basically everything else you can make using almost any other mod. It can actually use more power than a 36HP boiler can put out at full heat.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Ima gregtech player. It's cheap compared to things other I've seen, and with y'all and you're cheaty ender quarrys, materials is never a problem.
I don't approve of any sort of Strawman argument, and if your baseline for cost is GT, any sort of argument about cost or balance quickly becomes a Strawman argument.

GT is widely considered to be too expensive for the benefits it gives. It is built for a Multiplayer enviroment where time isn't an issue and resources are much easier to obtain. In SSP it's a pain beyond measure.

Blind hatred is not so different from Blind Attraction. Both are dangerous and lead only to ruin. I don't hate GT but I see it has plenty of flaws and failings. You seem to only see good in it and ignore that it's quite bad at times.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I don't approve of any sort of Strawman argument, and if your baseline for cost is GT, any sort of argument about cost or balance quickly becomes a Strawman argument.

GT is widely considered to be too expensive for the benefits it gives.

Wait a second, isn't that technically a bit of a strawman argument in itself, setting up GT as the source of all balance debates. I dunno, but maybe its at least in the same ballpark. There is also an unsourced appeal to "widely considered" opinion in there, dicey territory.

It is built for a Multiplayer enviroment where time isn't an issue and resources are much easier to obtain. In SSP it's a pain beyond measure.
This on the other hand is a good assessment and I do agree. I won't say I'm the biggest mekanism fan but it is neat and the upgrade system is in my opinion fairly balanced. It is also ideal for someone like me who plays ssp exclusively. It doesn't obnoxiously hog an entire play session or two just because I have my eye on one of the higher tier machines, however there is still a reasonable investment to be made and some cool machines to fill my base with (I'm referring to my route to a mekminer which I was very satisfied with in the end. Perfect for nether mining).

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Wait a second, isn't that technically a bit of a strawman argument in itself, setting up GT as the source of all balance debates. I dunno, but maybe its at least in the same ballpark. There is also an unsourced appeal to "widely considered" opinion in there, dicey territory.

This on the other hand is a good assessment and I do agree. I won't say I'm the biggest mekanism fan but it is neat and the upgrade system is in my opinion fairly balanced. It is also ideal for someone like me who plays ssp exclusively. It doesn't obnoxiously hog an entire play session or two just because I have my eye on one of the higher tier machines, however there is still a reasonable investment to be made and some cool machines to fill my base with (I'm referring to my route to a mekminer which I was very satisfied with in the end. Perfect for nether mining).
Fair point, I shouldn't have let myself use a appeal to popularity there.

Reactions: Not_Steve