Seeking Botania feedback

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Overall Vazkii, this is really the best mod for MC I have ever seen! (@SatanicSanta and @Padfoote are going to slap me now.)
Oi! You forgot me!
*slaps*

Botania is an amazing mod, though. It is unlike every other mod I've played with, and that makes it extremely interesting. Like others have said, the only things that bother me are the insane amount of flowers spawning (not a big deal. There are configs :p), and that there is no way to mass-produce items. But in every other way, this mod is amazing!

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I just have to say one thing: Minetweaker addon/Modtweaker Support. This is an amazing mod and I'd definitely add it to the lategame of my NAM Modpack.

And no NAM is not vaporware, while I took a week or two off of working on it I am back in the saddle and working on fixing up the early game.

And now, back to Botania.

I love a vast majority of the mod, the one thing I don't really like is the Solar Panel Type flowers. I hate passive generation that doesn't have any risks or inputs, and I've seen many mods use such a sad concept. So if you add MineT or ModT support, adding the ability to tweak the inputs and power outputs of flowers would be very useful. Maybe also a feature to add new flowers using another flower as a template?

Overall I've loved what I've seen of this mod so far, and it is one of the most unique concepts I've seen so far. Those mana shooters are absolute genius and the TNT Flower is hilarious. I believe I speak for the community for saying thank you, for putting so much time and effort into Botania.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I actually kinda like the fact that stuff in Botania is hard to automate. It makes it very different from your average mod, and there's not really a whole lot of automation that is really required. Sure, the crafting of livingwood and livingstone can get a bit monotonous, so I might not mind a second-tier system that can do that a bit more automated, but really most materials aren't really 'spammed' all that badly, so there's not a need for a bazillionty things.

SoniEx2

Jul 29, 2019
Low tier mana pools sound cool, actually. But the kind that Vaz described, not this daybloom nonsense.
The "getting rid of dayblooms" implied adding a new solar thing, (guess that wasn't clear enough...) which would be a slow crafting-only (as in it wouldn't support mana spreaders etc) mana pool... (or a mana crafter (aka the thing I described with no mana storage))

Reactions: 1SDAN

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I actually kinda like the fact that stuff in Botania is hard to automate. It makes it very different from your average mod, and there's not really a whole lot of automation that is really required. Sure, the crafting of livingwood and livingstone can get a bit monotonous, so I might not mind a second-tier system that can do that a bit more automated, but really most materials aren't really 'spammed' all that badly, so there's not a need for a bazillionty things.
I haven't used the mod, but have seen DW20 derp around with it. There are cross mod ways of automating it, he used Drones, Turtles could do it, and a crude timer based block breaker/placer system should also work.

I'd agree and say leave it as is, let people use their brains to work out ways to automate it.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
- the one thing I don't really like is the Solar Panel Type flowers. I hate passive generation that doesn't have any risks or inputs, and I've seen many mods use such a sad concept.
This is where I have to disagree on this, I understand, and I can see this happening from time to time. But the daybloom puts out so little mana, even if passive... Removing it would be more of a death sentence, as it's your introductory flower. Same for the nightshade. It introduces you to the methods of making mana, but keeps it from being completely simple... You need to place them in a specific pattern to gain anything from them. And even then the mana output doesn't even compare to kekimurus.

No matter how many feilds of dayblooms or nightshades you have, kekimurus , as multy stepped and difficult as it is to keep them fed, three elven spreaders attatched to three, with potency/ effic lenses can't keep up with the power. It's far more rewarding to use the flower that takes time and effort to set up. The only flower that I feel like it get's smacked by, is the thermalily, in combination with the ritual of the nether. Much like botania does to Bm, with the fallen kanade, the ritual of the nether makes the mid tier power flowers, beyond easy to automate. But I tell you now, if the ritual of the nether, and the ritual of the full spring (whatever it's name was) switched placements, everyones would be scrambling with their thermalily's broken.

Seeing them spammed all across forgecraft 2 made me absolutely sick... COME ON MATES, YOU GOT ALL THOSE MODS TO HELP AUTOMATE! The best you can come up with is ritual of the nether+ thermalily's?

I like generating flowers such as the kekimurus. It takes time and effort, and allot of thinking to get something powerful to work amazingly, you'd need to settup sugarcane, wheat, and egg farms, and get a milking station going. (and some form of autocrafting, but I use tenma's as it fits with botania's whackyness.)

Flowers that generate power through something that isn't so easily, placed, and made are more of what we need. (also possibly a nerf to those band's of aura, they outdo your flowers after a couple of days...) Maybe making them work only in the sunlight like a daybloom?

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
The "getting rid of dayblooms" implied adding a new solar thing, (guess that wasn't clear enough...) which would be a slow crafting-only (as in it wouldn't support mana spreaders etc) mana pool... (or a mana crafter (aka the thing I described with no mana storage))
Vazkii has said in the past in some capacity that he has toned down the power of dayblooms so they are the bottom of the bench resource for mana generation and as such they will stay. I would highly doubt he plans to implement an improvement to the Daybloom or a more powerful variation, regardless of how much grind would be required to use it.

Stop being lazy and get creative with the other flowers. This isn't a mod you can simply craft and forget about.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I understand dayblooms don't really do much after early game unless you have 20+ chunks absolutely filled with them, but that's the problem, they still add up. I guess this hatred comes from EE2 back in 1.2.5 when I'd be literally idling in SMP for large periods at a time just to upgrade to the next tier. So all I'm really saying is that I think there shouldn't be any way whatsoever to use the spamming of dayblooms to power your machines. I don't care how impractical it is, I KNOW there's gonna be some idiot using it to abuse the tech tree. I know Vazkii doesn't HAVE to implement this, but I just find it'd help a problem that could pop up on idiot servers.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
I just have to say one thing: Minetweaker addon/Modtweaker Support. This is an amazing mod and I'd definitely add it to the lategame of my NAM Modpack.

And no NAM is not vaporware, while I took a week or two off of working on it I am back in the saddle and working on fixing up the early game.

And now, back to Botania.

I love a vast majority of the mod, the one thing I don't really like is the Solar Panel Type flowers. I hate passive generation that doesn't have any risks or inputs, and I've seen many mods use such a sad concept. So if you add MineT or ModT support, adding the ability to tweak the inputs and power outputs of flowers would be very useful. Maybe also a feature to add new flowers using another flower as a template?

Overall I've loved what I've seen of this mod so far, and it is one of the most unique concepts I've seen so far. Those mana shooters are absolute genius and the TNT Flower is hilarious. I believe I speak for the community for saying thank you, for putting so much time and effort into Botania.
didn't modtweaker add botania support in 0.5?

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
So far in my watching of Forgecraft and playing through Botania's early-game, I've noticed a consistent pattern: the USES for Mana are amazing, but the ways of GETTING Mana are marginal at best. Mana production starts off slow and ends up slow-ish, while the costs skyrocket (you can blow through entire mana pools almost instantly but making that much power takes a loooooong time). In addition, the most powerful Mana generation systems I've seen/thought of rely on other mods: the DW20 Thermalily Reactor with Blood Magic, or using Mekanism with cobblegens to create renewable gunpowder and thus infinite TNT.

Overall while playing, I've found that Dayblooms have (understandably) been nerfed to the point of near-uselessness early-on. Unless you get a good biome, finding the needed flowers can get quite annoying. The furnace-fuel flower seems a lot better as a starter mana producer, to the point that your first bit of Mana should practically always go towards it.

Uses of Mana are fine, though. I just wish you could actually enter Alfheim lol.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still pretty early in this mod, so my viewpoint is definitely skewed toward the early-game, but I'll share what thoughts I have.

Early game mana generation actually feels pretty solid. While dayblooms are easy enough to make and will be the bare minimum to get started, you learn very quickly to explore other options if you want to get anywhere meaningful. Upgrading to the 'furnace' flowers was an excellent choice for me, as throwing coal into the patch proved a much faster way to charge my mana pool, while the crafting cost/time of said flower felt just about right. That said, I haven't moved past that yet as I've been busy building up infrastructure (read: building my base, which I always delay due to making big plans for it). In the meantime the dayblooms are doing their thing and have actually managed to fill my mana pool. Taught me to figure out how to configure the pool to give mana to tablets. So now I have a full tablet and a half full mana pool. Just realize those dayblooms have been running for literally days worth of real time, so for all that it's very slow mana generation indeed, it's still something that'll help out when I finally get back to the mod.

Rune crafting feels about right materials-wise, but the cost in time feels excruciating to me. I've never been much of an automating person and still do all of my own mining to this day, but that may be why it bothers me. I could go caving and get significantly more resources in the time it would take me to craft even a few runes. Perhaps that's just slow gameplay on my part coupled with deep familiarity with the nuances of caving, I don't know. Just how I see things.

I've been delaying learning the mod more thoroughly simply because I've been setting up my Thaumcraft infrastructure, and both of them have very similar features such as the highly enchantable armour/weapons. I'm not quite sure what the hook is to make me focus on Botania in the early game that Thaumcraft doesn't offer. I am certainly interested in the later game stuff such as Alfheim and seeing how the Shard of Laputa works in practice, but I have no idea just how late in the game that is. I've found that really late-game mods never move to fruition for me; I simply never reach them. Kami's Thaumcraft stuff isn't in my world as a result of this. I'm hoping that Botania's end-game is still reachable for the likes of me, but time will tell as I get areas set up for focusing on it.

Reactions: RealSketch

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
didn't modtweaker add botania support in 0.5?
Nah it was added in 0.4. 0.5 just added Orechid Support.

Anyways I fail to see how 'ModTweaker' Support would be Vaz's duty? Or of any concern with how to improve his mod...