Seeking Botania feedback

Launcelot_J

Jul 29, 2019
I dont really know all the inner workings of botania, but I have some suggestions:

1. Make elven portal the enterance to a dimension, not just a crafting mechanic. Or maybe going through portal teleports you to a city in the void, for less worldgen.

2. Maybe make terrasteel armor give wearer of a full set resistance 2, to put it on tier with other mod armours.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent from my desert island using smoke signals...

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I dont really know all the inner workings of botania, but I have some suggestions:

1. Make elven portal the enterance to a dimension, not just a crafting mechanic. Or maybe going through portal teleports you to a city in the void, for less worldgen.

2. Maybe make terrasteel armor give wearer of a full set resistance 2, to put it on tier with other mod armours.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent from my desert island using smoke signals...

Blocks cannot exist in the void...

Reactions: RealSketch

Launcelot_J

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry about that, I did mean void world...although some mods add stuff underneath bedrock (TTKami for example.)

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry about that, I did mean void world...although some mods add stuff underneath bedrock (TTKami for example.)

Okay, thank you for clearing that up. Next time though, please state void world instead of just saying "in the void".

Thank you, you will now be redirected to a virus.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, thank you for clearing that up. Next time though, please state void world instead of just saying "in the void".

Thank you, you will now be redirected to a virus.
Okay, here's a mod that does what you want. How? Well, you've just got to run virus.bat and put the loginstealer.jar in the mods folder...
/jk, because someone will probably end up doing this and blame me for the resulting virus and lost account.

Reactions: 1SDAN

gabrielcorso

Jul 29, 2019
Everything is cool,shiny and working perfectly,i just find the terra firma rod too strong (At least underground).
I don't feel like it should be used for terraforming,because it works better as a quary of sorts.
Other than that,great mod,when i play it i feel the potential to become one of those "can't play without" mods out there.
Great work Vazkii :D

GravityLens

Jul 29, 2019
Hi. You probably have no idea what botania is because it's only in unstable and TPPI, if that's the case, go do something else I guess.

Still reading? Cool.
I'd like some feedback on botania, the feedback I've heard so far has been really sparse and I haven't been able to make much out of it other than the fact that it needs more ways to make mana (which is annoying because I'm an uncreative twat). So if you have any, feel free to throw it in my general direction via the likes of this thread.

o7

FEEDBACK: The mod is insanely cool. I only have a tiny bit of early game criticism.

I don't really like the flower decay feature. I understand that there is a config. The problem is they are op with the config off and useless with the config on. I would argue that the passive generation flowers are broken. They really mess up the early stages of botania I think. Either people stick with them forever, or completely skip them based on the config option.

Search your feelings, you know this to be true.

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019

You are aware the last post before you posted was August 4th, 2014, correct? And this thread was made July 24th, 2014. You're necroing a long-dead mod feedback thread from a mod that has long since gone out of development and into the mainstream pack.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You are aware the last post before you posted was August 4th, 2014, correct? And this thread was made July 24th, 2014. You're necroing a long-dead mod feedback thread from a mod that has long since gone out of development and into the mainstream pack.
Not nessesarily, unless Vaskii has stated that they are not interested in further feedback here or at all then the post is still relevant.

My input would be that I agree with default passive wither but the 2 day life span is waaaay to stingy.
I think an in game week should be the absolute minimum.
I've bumped my config to an in game month personally.

As for a suggestion: Botania needs a native version of Open block item cannons, a flower that can launch items on a long arc trajectory.
I know replicating features other mods have is considered the pinnacle of uncool. However what the item cannon does feels like it was designed for Botania with its live item method of feeding mana gen flowers.
I use item cannons to feed my endoflames from my charcoalery 80-100 blocks away. Folks whine about ugly feeding mechanisms hovering over their flowers while I launch charcoal from a cannon.

The flower could be a sort of catapult. I was thinking it could use a melon or pumpkin as a vessal to launch the items in. Like you have the flower, a melon/pumpkin next to the flower and a hopper feeding the desired items in. Im not sure wether the melon pumpkin should be some sort of craftable container like a hollowed out melon/pumpkin or just coded in a way where you use regular ones. Both ideas have their problems. Essentially when the pumpkin or melon lands it splits releasing it's contents like it was a player that died.
Also I think it would be nifty if you placed a full mana pool on top of a hopper leading to a melon it turns them in to mana melons. This melon could then be launched, it will then splatter in a 3x3 radius giving an effect of sorts. If the melons splash hits a mana pool it gets filled by 1:9.
This would be a sort of unorthodox med-long distance mana transmission. You set up a 3x3 array of mana pools and launch mana melons at it. If you make the catapult less accurate if the range is too close or too far it couldn't be abused to replace spreaders close distance.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You are aware the last post before you posted was August 4th, 2014, correct? And this thread was made July 24th, 2014. You're necroing a long-dead mod feedback thread
You make it sound like a bad thing.

Please don't harp on people for "necroing"; its a popular form of bullying on forums and I hate to see it on FTB. There's no need to start a new thread on an existing and relevant topic.

from a mod that has long since gone out of development and into the mainstream pack.
What? I'm guessing you mean gone out of alpha or pre-release. Its still in regular development.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

A mod is always in development unless the dev states it's no longer being worked on. The state of the release / inclusion in packs doesn't factor into this. Other than that, Azzanine covered it already.

Edit: @Pyure you bloody ninja.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
A mod is always in development unless the dev states it's no longer being worked on. The state of the release / inclusion in packs doesn't factor into this. Other than that, Azzanine covered it already.
Ninja'd you sir Padfoote. I actually suspect he means pre-release development.

Reactions: Padfoote

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Ninja'd you sir Padfoote. I actually suspect he means pre-release development.
And aye pirated ye both yah filthy land dwellars.

But yeah wether this is a necro depend on whether @Vaskii wants feedback still. If not it was KIND OF a necro, but not really.

Reactions: Pyure and Padfoote

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Since this thread has risen from the dead.. and that now I'm actually getting deeper into Botania (I've made my portal, but haven't powered it yet), I do have some feedback.

I don't totally agree that passive flowers should "decay". It's clear to me that the default is way too low. As stated, you either skip from daybloom/nightshade as quickly as possible and never look back, or you tweak the config to ignore decay.

I use a small patch of dayblooms to feed my Jaded Amaranthus and Hopperhock
I use a small batch of Nightshades to feed mana into a pool I use only for creating mana versions of things (petals, pearls, diamonds, manasteel).

To have to keep going back in there and re-making and replanting the 8 or so flowers of each is mind numbing.

Maybe, make it so the passive flowers can only transfer mana to a "low tier" spreader, that can only shoot into the first tier mana pool, and make the first tier mana pool unrecognizable to sparks. This would restrict their "abuse", and still give those flowers a meaning beyond "Day 1".

I also agree, that the systems we have to make to "feed" mana producing flowers are.. ugly. I LOVE (yes all caps) the Hovering Hourglass! A great addition! Thing is, it needs a redstone torch to "invert" the signal. Could we maybe add some redstone to the Hourglass to make it so it is always producing a signal (like a redstone torch), and only stops when it is turning? (Opposite of how it works now)

Hopperhocks are great at grabbing everything, and I like the addition to tell it to ignore items in frames attached to the chest it feeds into, but I agree, there needs to be some kind of item transport as well. I like the idea of "cannon flowers" (hello Plants vs Zombies). A Hopperhock, set to a chest, a "cannon" set to that chest aimed at another Hopperhock, set to a chest... Well, you get the idea :) I wouldn't even ask for it to actually show the item being shot through the air, just a coloured mana burst to indicate it's working...

That's all I have for now, except to say I'm really enjoying Botania. The only other mod I've touched in this play through on my server is MFR for a tree/charcoal farm (to feed my flowers) and ore doubling...

Keep up the great work!

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Just throwing this out there: There is already a flower that fulfills more or less the same role as an item cannon would. The Spectrolus (if not that, Spectranthemum) will teleport any items dropped on it to a location linked to it via the Wand of the Forest. Maybe not as impressive looking as items flying through the air, but probably faster and less likely to have them get picked up in transit by mistake.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
That's fairly deep in progression though. But still an option no matter how boring it sounds.
I suppose we could just use OpenBlocks item cannons. Very few people have packs without it.