rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm yeah slate is a bit tricky. I think it only spawns in river biomes. I am getting none of it in the mining age I posted earlier that includes ocean biomes. Slate, Hornfell and Onyx are the only ones it doesn't produce, but Onyx only spawn near lava afaik and there is on design no lava, so :p
But the Mariculture Automatic Dictionary Converter can change one type to another so it is not that huge of a problem. And I don't see that as that big of a cheat. Its just building materials.

But back to Slate, in Soartex slate has a rather distinct texture to it:
0aIhBvF.png

And if you look carefully it doesn't actually tile all that well. So dont think I will be using that. But yeah colour scheme is somewhat in the right direction.
A fellow soartex user! HIGH FIVE!!!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ok update time:
I have gone back to something I tried and failed at and have been putting off repeatedly: Connecting the engine pods to the main hull. But damn is it hard. I just cant seem to find a way that works properly. I decided to add another pair of engines(so 2 engines on both sides) in hopes of that would make it easier to connect the existing ones up to the hull.

fBHpjzP.png

I lost count of the different attempts I have build and destroyed again. But some pictures of the latest idea (WIP). Not really sure I like it TBH.

nLwv3rQ.png

nvE0Raf.png

zBtq6aO.png

If anyone have ANY good ideas PLS share them :p ATM I am open to any suggestions.

EDIT:
Actually considering doing something a bit drastic: demolishing the 2 original engines(inner most ones) and remaking them further back. That way the main ring of the exhaust will be anchored in the hull better. But it is a lot of lost work and a lot of work remaking them again. /cry

Last edited:

sonofthelion

Jul 29, 2019
from looking at the engines pods I personally thing that have the 2 set on each side along the ring of the hull would look really good. but all the time and work for this /cry

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
from looking at the engines pods I personally thing that have the 2 set on each side along the ring of the hull would look really good. but all the time and work for this /cry
Yeah I thought that as well and decided to go ahead with it:

yd81txE.png

The dirt shafts are an attempt to connect the engines up with a housing for main energy conduits etc.(cosmetic) along with maintenance walkways to the front of the engine pods. I envision the dirt being replaced with mostly glass reinforced with beams and then protected by "heat shields" etc in strategic places. Plan on doing the energy conduits in blocks of redstone/redstone lamps or similar and having them faintly fade up and down in brightness. Kinda need to have some glass around that for it to be visible :p

Reactions: Staxed and Padfoote

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hmm one downside of the ME system setup I posted earlier can sometimes be troubleshooting. Came back to base and noticed that 2 Geostrata rocks discs(yeah I have a 1k disc for every kind of geostrata rock, 4k for interesting kinds) had filled up but no rocks had reached my overflow chests. But the item count on the terminal still said that they were somewhere in the system. Hmm...

Turned out that I had formatted a new 16k disc for Geostrata Quartz cobblestone(what I plan to use for interior on new base) to fuzzy, therefore allowing it to store ALL kinds of cobblestone including vanilla cobblestone... 65k vanilla cobblestone(in addition to normal storage) that I now need to get rid off :p Better check that fuzzy/precise toggle next time!

Reactions: Staxed

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Turned out that I had formatted a new 16k disc for Geostrata Quartz cobblestone(what I plan to use for interior on new base) to fuzzy, therefore allowing it to store ALL kinds of cobblestone including vanilla cobblestone... 65k vanilla cobblestone(in addition to normal storage) that I now need to get rid off :p Better check that fuzzy/precise toggle next time!

Glad I'm not the only one that did that with Geostrata cobble....lol

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So while taking a break from building I did a little experimenting with a MFR Programmable Rednet Controller and some different lamps. For some reason I cant get the lamps to vary in intensity(neither light or texture brightness) depending on redstone signal strength. Was sure that was supposed to be in 1.6...

Oh well, will have to think of something else for the power lines to the engines I guess.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
So while taking a break from building I did a little experimenting with a MFR Programmable Rednet Controller and some different lamps. For some reason I cant get the lamps to vary in intensity(neither light or texture brightness) depending on redstone signal strength. Was sure that was supposed to be in 1.6...

Oh well, will have to think of something else for the power lines to the engines I guess.
What lamps?

Tikkamasala

Jul 29, 2019

Have you tried Thermal Expansion's glowstone illuminator. They can be set using the TE wrench (or maybe any wrench) to a mode proportional to the redstone signal strength:
2014-04-20_125136_zps87c4aaea.png

They can be colored with dyes and they seem to work with Soartex:
2014-04-20_131101_zps4b0432b8.png

The above screenshots were done using FTB Monster 1.0.9.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhn and BreezyTaco

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Have you tried Thermal Expansion's glowstone illuminator. They can be set using the TE wrench (or maybe any wrench) to a mode proportional to the redstone signal strength:
2014-04-20_125136_zps87c4aaea.png

They can be colored with dyes and they seem to work with Soartex:
2014-04-20_131101_zps4b0432b8.png

The above screenshots were done using FTB Monster 1.0.9.
Ahh excellent, this might be exactly what I need. Will definitely check this out.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Time for a bit of an update. Been quite busy RL so not had much time to devote to playing. And my main PC monitor is off to repair so playing on an old crappy screen which kinda kills the mood a bit. But have gotten a bit done.

First of a nice surprise. Soartex Fanver was updated and to my great pleasure I noticed these during a stroll through my building materials gallery:
9CuatdN.png

These are Chisel Factory blocks. These 5(and one other I think) are so far the only ones of that category that have been converted but man which great 5! Can really see some opportunity in these. Hoping to see more of the Factory and Futuristic Armor blocks converted in the near future.

The cobble colossus is no more.. cobble. I Simply could not find any other material in the right colour and shade with a smooth enough texture, so ended up settling on simple "Stone". Its a bit bright but I plan on adding darker coloured details on it later and hope that will help.
z0spKKY.png

I also put real glass in the power conduit/walkway walls and it helped a lot. Need to later decorate these tunnels with some kind of power conduits and all kinds of wires, cables and pipes etc. Plan on building the fake power conduits out of some sort of lamps and then controlling it via Rednet cables so I could animate it to pulse or "wave" along the length of it. That and liquiducts with some kind of cool looking "cooling fluid" liquid in them should make it looks rather nice.

8L6ewkd.png

I am also experimenting a bit with a (so far) fake reactor housing. I kinda wanted it to be situated inside the main tower, but think it would take up too much room. So decided to try and place it just behind it instead. But the size I wanted didn't fit inside the structure and sticks out a bit underneath and a lot on top.
QYbReKX.png

But I don't think it protruding like that will be a problem as I think the tower could some extra support fixing it to the main structure. So will probably put a shallow "wedge" from the tower and down onto the horizontal surface. Something not unlike what I seem to remember from a SW star destroyers back end.

I did think about making 2 reactors and just leaving the spheres exposed on the outside sort of like the SW Interdictors, but then again it would be a daft engineering aspect to leave your main reactors so exposed :p

EDIT: Inner reactor sphere in bright white quartz:
qhtZscM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Staxed and Padfoote

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Played around a bit with some decoration for the engine power conduit shafts:
HkwuLZv.png

wrcWO0J.png

So far it is just Project Red Cyan lamps, MFR Rednet cable, Fluiducts with lava(probably going to replace with some other liquid, but the orange works quite well as a contrast), and microblock Pillars with Posts applied to make them the 3/4 thickness. Also put in a ME cable under the MFR cable due to the fact that it did not make connections to the MFR cable(MFR automatically connects with big ugly plates to anything unknown. Tried lots of things but only found the ME cable that really worked. Might have to look into adding stuff to the config). And guess I can always use the ME cable to spread my ME network in the future anyway :p

I think I will get some automated wool farming going and make a bunch of Project red "Framed Bundled Cable". Gives a nice techy feel to it.

Right now the Rednet cable is just powered by a Lever, but I do think that I will in the future add a CC computer. Once I then apply the proper colours to the rednet cable connections it is really simple to program small "lightshow" programs :p It is not something I will have running all the time(the constant lightupdates from all those lamps would be hell I think), but it would be cool to be able to turn on for show :p

Also worked on a "tail" for the ship:
XCHEBAa.png

Not entirely happy with it, so think I will have to sleep on it. Maybe need more curves to better integrate it or something.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Thought I would share how simple it is to make these multiblock doors without the need for ugly pressure plates etc. using Monster.
FwBCwrq.png

Using 6 Advanced Drawbridges from Tinkers mechworks(advanced allows you to have different kinds of blocks extended out). You can do it with less, but I liked the way it looked as it opens up from both sides.
Underneath is a Entity Detector from Random Things set to detect "Players" within a proper range.
A ProjectRed NOT-gate to invert the signal and Red alloy wires to pass the signal to the Drawbridges.

All that is now needed is to cover it all up(the wires support Microblocks so Covers will hide them nicely), put the right blocks in the Drawbridges inventory and camouflage slots and bingo a proximity operated multiblock doorway.

Finished door:
p3wUvJD.png

MRMrEja.png

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thought I would share how simple it is to make these multiblock doors without the need for ugly pressure plates etc. using Monster.
Love it when folks show me how to build cool doors. Wish I could get away from the old 2x3 wood-plank-recipe doors, argh.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Love it when folks show me how to build cool doors. Wish I could get away from the old 2x3 wood-plank-recipe doors, argh.
It is honestly beyond me why noone (in the FTB pack mods anyway) has made any Scifi/industrial looking doors yet. So far we have pages of different colours of wooden doors. But if we want to build in a style that doesn't call for wooden doors we are stuck with Iron or reinforced doors. Would be nice with some different types of metal or glass doors.

Also don't understand why noone has tackled the prospect of making 3 block tall doors. Would be a really welcome addition in my book.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It is honestly beyond me why noone (in the FTB pack mods anyway) has made any Scifi/industrial looking doors yet. So far we have pages of different colours of wooden doors. But if we want to build in a style that doesn't call for wooden doors we are stuck with Iron or reinforced doors. Would be nice with some different types of metal or glass doors.

Also don't understand why noone has tackled the prospect of making 3 block tall doors. Would be a really welcome addition in my book.
Fully concur.