rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
very nice use of drawbrides, I love hiding doors :D
Heh was not really meaning to "hide" the doors. Was/is more my intention to make the doors in the style of airlocks. Going a little bit with inspiration from Mass effect and the space station/Cerberus facilities looks:
3-9-2012_49.jpg

Could probably build something better looking using Microblocks and then use RIM to handle the opening and closing. But the mechanisms for it would be hideously large and slow. So think the Drawbridges is a better choice but it does limit the looks of the doors quite a bit.

People might also have noticed I have made the hallways 6 blocks wide. They really didn't need to be so wide, but I chose to make them so because I intend to shamelessly steal the style of the benches and planters along the walls :p

Reactions: Pyure and Padfoote

Scarecrow560

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding your rednet cabling "attaching" to everything that isn't a vanilla block apart from ME cable, update to a new MFR and you can manually make connections cable only on any side rather than the whole cable itself.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Regarding your rednet cabling "attaching" to everything that isn't a vanilla block apart from ME cable, update to a new MFR and you can manually make connections cable only on any side rather than the whole cable itself.
Yup already done. Updating Monster to 1.1.1 adds this change. Really nice change.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I would very much like to build some kind of elevators(or illusions there of) to allow for vertical movement in the place. But as much as I want it to seem realistic it also have to be convenient so don't want to have to wait for a carriage to be moved up and down using RIM for example. More thinking of something along the lines of stepping into the elevator, clicking the relevant button/CC touchscreen and then get teleported to the equivalent floors elevator. But not entirely sure how I would go about teleporting myself to a specific destination on a redstone signal for example. I suppose it could be done by inserting the right linking book into a Mystcraft portal and then retracting the floor and dropping me through the portal, but that seems a bit.. meh..

Anyone know of any other ways of achieving this?

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
I would very much like to build some kind of elevators(or illusions there of) to allow for vertical movement in the place. But as much as I want it to seem realistic it also have to be convenient so don't want to have to wait for a carriage to be moved up and down using RIM for example. More thinking of something along the lines of stepping into the elevator, clicking the relevant button/CC touchscreen and then get teleported to the equivalent floors elevator. But not entirely sure how I would go about teleporting myself to a specific destination on a redstone signal for example. I suppose it could be done by inserting the right linking book into a Mystcraft portal and then retracting the floor and dropping me through the portal, but that seems a bit.. meh..

Anyone know of any other ways of achieving this?
those advanced extended drawbridges can go up to 64 blocks, try and make a system using Project red, CC, and those

Scarecrow560

Jul 29, 2019
You can use elevators from Openblocks, bad thing is that they have a max height of 20 or 30. Depending on the version that is in the modpack..

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
those advanced extended drawbridges can go up to 64 blocks, try and make a system using Project red, CC, and those
i think he wants an actual elevator that has the up animation thing
Yeha the drawbridges can lift you up but it is a very jerky experience tbh. And I would rather just be free of the whole movement thing and just have: Open door, click button, door closed, teleported, open door, and exit on new floor.

That would require waiting for it to move up and down the elevator shaft, unless there's a feature I don't know about with MFFS.
Yeah that's the reason why I mentioned that I had to be convenient. If I have to stand around waiting for the elevator to come to my floor and then to move my up, it wont be long until I have punched a hole in the floor and just fly up and down instead :p

I actually looked into Enhanced Portals 3 which is already in Monster. It seems to be able to do just what I need. Each portal ring can be set to dial different destinations(on redstone signals too I think if using multiple redstone interfaces), and the portals can be camouflaged to look like other blocks. So could in essence move into the elevator(which has the portal ring hidden in its structure), click a button which activates the portal for the correlating destination and be transported to the new floor.

Reactions: Sigma85

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Enhanced Portals is actually so perfectly suited to the job that each portal can store several destinations and you can make it dial each one on the list depending on redstone signal strength! And once you remove the signal it will automatically cancel out the portal. And in addition to camouflaging the portal ring you can make the actual portal and particle effect invisible :p

Exactly what I need!

Tikkamasala

Jul 29, 2019
Enhanced Portals is actually so perfectly suited to the job that each portal can store several destinations and you can make it dial each one on the list depending on redstone signal strength! And once you remove the signal it will automatically cancel out the portal. And in addition to camouflaging the portal ring you can make the actual portal and particle effect invisible :p

In addition to the redstone method you can hook up a computercraft touch screen to an enhanced portal dialing device and use methods like dialStored(i) and getStoredName(i) to choose and display your destination. The api can be found here.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
In addition to the redstone method you can hook up a computercraft touch screen to an enhanced portal dialing device and use methods like dialStored(i) and getStoredName(i) to choose and display your destination. The api can be found here.
That seems handy, but I am enough of a CC noob to be unsure how to use that when moving into the whole peripheral.wrap deal. But found a few examples of it. But might simply be easier to do it with redstone because I plan to hide the Dialler away as it is the only block that will at all times show its icon(without glasses). After all I only need it to close the door and open the portal for 1 second.

DoubleD

Jul 29, 2019
A relative stupid question: how do you create the map? the seed (given) but how do I enable all map modes?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
A relative stupid question: how do you create the map? the seed (given) but how do I enable all map modes?
What do you mean with map modes? You mean the terrain generation? If that is the case then when creating a new world there will be a tab under "More World Options" called "World type: default". Change that to "World type: ATG - Alternate".

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Temporarily changed the looks of the main tower:
JtlTpCX.png

Now dont worry, this was purely done so I could detect where there were multiple layers of stone upon each other. I had to replace the outer layer block by block with the wand of equal trade so that I could then go inside and see which blocks had not been changed. Turned out that there were 2-4 layers some places. But it is all fixed now and just about to replace all the sandstone back into the proper material :p

The main reason why I had to polish off the inside of the "tower" was because I started building floors inside. Or so far just one floor.
3F8okDQ.png

Plan on having a glass separation wall at those two outer doors. Behind the doors and up the stairs is the main corridor leading off to both wings.

The floor I am standing on taking this picture I plan on making with high ceiling height to give it somewhat a "grand hall" like feel.

In the middle of the picture is an early take on the elevator that I have been talking about. It is complete with automatic doors and you might be able to see the golden edge of the Advanced Monitor on the far wall on the lift that will be used as the Touch screen. The doors are wired to automatically open when you approach the lift, but wired it up so the computer can overwrite it and close the doors once you select a destination(plan to program in a little delay: click destination, close door, delay, teleport, delay, release door control to entity detector). On arrival the Entity detector on the destination lift will automatically open the doors so the experience should be rather perfect(as far as I can foresee :p)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Not updated in a while due to being sick. Damn virus in circulation has lead to bronchitis etc. so the little time I have felt able to spend on MC, I have ended up just staring at the screen. But have gotten a little bit done:
kL6eLRv.png

iPIFdIw.png

Plan on putting in some supports and walkways along the outer walls, thats why there is a second level of windows.

You might have noticed the lever and Wireless transmitter in the middle of the room. Just a temporary placement for a feature I build into the windows:
aWvbgOF.png

5FFHW5M.png

Probably going to have another look on materials for the "shutters" or the microblock surrounding the windows to make them a bit more distinctive.

Another shot of the elevator and separation wall:
PfC3qWx.png