rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Thought I would take a little break and talk a little about the tools I use for this build. Because it is not like I am filling in every single block by hand, the proper tools can help a lot! There is not going to be anything ground breaking, it is the tools I prefer and are comfortable with. There might not be much in it for the more experienced players, but there might be a few items that can be of help to the newer players.

First lets start with a little look at my inventory when out building on the "circles of doom":
kMqJ7zN.png

Ender Pouch:
The first thing you will notice is the Ender Pouch window. Make your self an Ender pouch for your tools and a matching Ender chest and put it in your base as soon as you can afford it! Now should you die in lava or suffocate in a wall etc. you will only loose the tools you were actually using right at the moment. Everything else is safely stored in the "end"(and accessible in your base when you spawn). It also has the added bonus of greatly adding your inventory space and making sure you always have that special tool right at hand at that rare occasion where you need it. Now there are plenty of other bag mods that allows you to store items in transportable inventories, but if you loose that inventory item you loose every single item in it! So make an Ender Pouch! (If on a server make sure its on a frequency no one else is using or make it private).

Advanced Diamond Drill:
Nothing too fancy here, just my preferred replacement for a pickaxe. It is Gravisuites upgrade to the IC2 Diamond drill that give it it added functionalities such as TiCo Hammer/Excavator mode(mines 3x3 of both stone and dirt) and Fine mode(when you are building with sandstone for example and don't want to accidentally take down half the wall). Can be enchanted with Enchanted books(currently only got Efficiency on it). It also retains the functionalities of the IC2 drills, so if you for example have torches ANYWHERE in your inventory and right click on a block with the drill, it will place a torch(awesome for tunnel mining).

Shovel of the Earthmover:
Now some people might think that a shovel is an odd thing to use when building something up in the sky. And it would be true if it wasn't for Thaumcrafts added building functionality on the Shovel of the Earthmover. When you right click with the shovel on a block, it will try and place down a 3x3 grid of that item if you have matching blocks in the inventory. And amazingly this isn't limited to dirt and sand etc. In TC3 it was only able to place down blocks horizontally but in TC4+ the functionality has been changed to allow for it to place them vertically as well depending on how you click on the original block. This change does take a bit of time to get used to, it does mean you cant place as many blocks per click any more, but it has actually made it easier to use. For large flat surfaces you can just hold down the button and walk forward and it will build the floor ahead of you as you walk. Ideally enchanted with Repair 2, Unbreaking 3 and Efficiency 4(though Efficiency has no effect on building with it).

Builder's Wand
The builder's wand sort of does the same as the Shovel of the Earthmover, it will place down up to 9 blocks at the time. But the wand will instead of placing down a preset pattern try and extend the pattern of whatever you are pointing at. So if you have a curved wall for example and you want to extend it a couple blocks up, all you have to do it click with the wand on the upper side(there will be a ghost trace to show where it will place blocks), and it will extend the wall upwards. Clicking on the side of the wall will make the wall thicker. The wand is quite difficult to make. You have to first find a Division Sigil, then activate it by a ritual, then craft unstable ingots(and survive it) and craft the wand. But there seems to be a good chance to find the wands in dungeon chests(I have found 2 wands before I found a sigil). And they have no durability so one will last forever.

Mining Laser:
The IC2 Mining laser is really not much good for anything but mining(Duh!), but for building while flying it does have its moments. In its Low-Focus mode it makes an excellent way to break blocks instantly while flying(trying to break something like a Wrathlamp while hovering with a jetpack is just...).

Digger's Backpack:
The backpacks from Forestry are quite cheap ways to extend your inventory. Each standard backpack will store 15 stacks and they can be upgraded through beekeeping to hold 45 stacks(only need to find some Tropical bees and centrifuge their combs, no breeding needed). The different kinds of backpacks will store different kind of items(clue is in the names, Diggers is stone and dirt, Miners is ore and gems etc.). Now yes there are lots of mods that add bags and stuff, but the Forestry backpacks have a really nice feature: When you shift click with them in your hand you can toggle through several modes for them. The most useful of the modes is Resupply mode. In this mode they will constantly try and fill up any stacks that you have in your normal inventory with items from themselves. So you can carry 15 stacks of cobblestone and yet only have 1 stack in your inventory which will stay full until the backpack is emptied. Another good tip is when using them while mining you can shift click with the bag on a chest and it will instantly empty itself out into the chest(easy to empty out into a sorting system).

Tape Measure:
Bibliocrafts Tape Measure is.. Well just that. Click with it on a block, walk off and click another block and it will post the distance between them in the chat. In 1.6 versions it will put down a little marker on the starting position and will show your distance to the marker on the screen while measuring. It has 2 modes: Absolute and "North/south, East/West, and Height". The latter is a lot more useful IMO since the absolute distances are rather hard to use for anything unless you like to use Pythagoras a lot!

Angel Block:
Extra Utilities Angel Blocks are very simple blocks that can be placed anywhere with a simple right click without having to be connected to anything else. This is extremely useful for when building in the sky or on the water since you don't need to build a "bridge" to something solid all the time to place a new block. They also break almost instantly when tapped while flying.

Coin of Fortune:
Not really something that is needed for this build, but since there is no ground for items to drop on it is quite handy still. The coin works as a loot and XP magnet that when toggled on will draw anything within 5 blocks directly to you. If held and shift clicked it will draw items in from up to 25 blocks away(but only for an instant).

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Finally finished the last circles and filled all the gaps in:
8SkccF9.png

Filling in all that sure consumed some cobble. Lost count of the number of trips I had to take back to fill 3x Diggers backpacks plus normal inventory.

Probably not going to have issues with space inside:
BdpJYux.png

Specially not since this "doughnut" is only part of the structure. Still need to do the "tower" and the "engine pods".

Here is a view of the "inner ring":
8xGfAb6.png

nS5JtwC.png

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I really appreciate about this particular build thread is how quick your progressing. This build your taking on will be done in a very short period at this rate. Great job, looks awesome.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
One thing I really appreciate about this particular build thread is how quick your progressing. This build your taking on will be done in a very short period at this rate. Great job, looks awesome.
So far it might look like I have done a lot in a short time. But that is because it is very large structures with very low detail. Just wait till I have to start doing some precision work that isn't just basic circles. :p

Reactions: Jack0928PC

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
As you progress through your world it would be great to see some more DynMap shots.
You mean the Journey Map exports like in the in the seed post?
Here is one of the land I discovered so far:
(Really big picture)
PnVz1b9.jpg

Probably easier to watch it here:
http://imgur.com/PnVz1b9
Lost all my waypoints sadly when I moved the save back to Singleplayer(had it running as a server on my own pc which gave great performance, but ended up running out of memory).

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
You mean the Journey Map exports like in the in the seed post?
Here is one of the land I discovered so far:
(Really big picture)
PnVz1b9.jpg

Probably easier to watch it here:
http://imgur.com/PnVz1b9
Lost all my waypoints sadly when I moved the save back to Singleplayer(had it running as a server on my own pc which gave great performance, but ended up running out of memory).

Yea thats the one. Looking good.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Speaking of taking a long time doing the non circle bits:
iSwcFP9.png

Wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't for the fact that I have to make it symmetrical on both sides...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Decided that it was stupid to just throw all those overflowing items from the ME system into the trashcan so decided to set up some IC2 Recyclers:

fTeU49T.png

Storage bus on the chest, routers extracting from chest and ejecting(Ejector upgrade) down into router. This was a case where the "ME Bus Memory Card" was very handy for transferring the filter settings from the storage bus on the trash can setup to the new storage bus.

Now this meant I was producing Scrap so I needed some way to deal with that. So set up a Mass fabricator on a RC steel tank:
j2hsObK.png

Problem is just that I am not producing enough power to really keep that MF running to keep up with all the scrap(and don't intend to really build out the starter base grid more). So went back to something I haven't done since back in 1.4.7: Scrap boxes:
954Eia9.png

Whenever the amount of scrap in the ME system reaches a set limit(32k, just before it fills the 4k disc I formatted for scrap), it tells the export bus to start making scrap boxes and export them into the Autonomous Activator. The Scrap boxes are then used and some random item pops out(from the loot table of the scrap boxes, varying from wooden tools to diamonds) and is sucked up by the hopper and ducted into the ME interface(by a Hopper Duct from the mod Hopper Ducts). Crappy items are then recycled to make more scrap and good items are stored.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
would you ever consider making a sever and making this your world?
If you by server mean a public or small group server, then no. As you might have guessed I like big long term projects and in my process of building/playing I try to take extreme care not to do something to cause problems/instability. This is to ensure that I can keep playing the world long enough to build these projects. If I were on a server it would be difficult to be sure everyone else on the server would do the same, or I would end up spending way too much time "looking over things". I would also have to limit the modpack to limit some stuff probably which would be a penalty on myself as well. So it is just better all around to do these things in a singleplayer world.

But yeah, it would be nice with a small server with a couple other similar minded people. But my play style is just not compatible with that. I tend not to retire an old world until the next modpack version is out and is so attractive to me that I simply cant resist starting a new.

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
If you by server mean a public or small group server, then no. As you might have guessed I like big long term projects and in my process of building/playing I try to take extreme care not to do something to cause problems/instability. This is to ensure that I can keep playing the world long enough to build these projects. If I were on a server it would be difficult to be sure everyone else on the server would do the same, or I would end up spending way too much time "looking over things". I would also have to limit the modpack to limit some stuff probably which would be a penalty on myself as well. So it is just better all around to do these things in a singleplayer world.

But yeah, it would be nice with a small server with a couple other similar minded people. But my play style is just not compatible with that. I tend not to retire an old world until the next modpack version is out and is so attractive to me that I simply cant resist starting a new.
Well you might be surprised with just how many are as like minded as you. The one thing I dislike the most about Feed the Beast is the lack of longevity in the maps. Personally I am more of a builder, large scale builds, and others just like to play with the mods then once they reach the end of the mod they are ready for something new. I so see what you mean modpack wise, there would have to be some sort of communal trust that goes on but I think its a fun idea.

Reactions: Padfoote

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well you might be surprised with just how many are as like minded as you. The one thing I dislike the most about Feed the Beast is the lack of longevity in the maps. Personally I am more of a builder, large scale builds, and others just like to play with the mods then once they reach the end of the mod they are ready for something new. I so see what you mean modpack wise, there would have to be some sort of communal trust that goes on but I think its a fun idea.
Yeah I am sure there are lots of other like minded people out there, its just finding them and "separating the wheat from the chaff" so the speak. Also not entirely sure I could get myself to commit to building anything serious on a server again unless I had full control of the server. Just don't feel I have the interest in investing the time in managing the server lol.

But I am not totally against the idea of playing on a server again some day under the right circumstances.

Oh and as a bonus, more cobble!:
j6oS9hS.png

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I am sure there are lots of other like minded people out there, its just finding them and "separating the wheat from the chaff" so the speak. Also not entirely sure I could get myself to commit to building anything serious on a server again unless I had full control of the server. Just don't feel I have the interest in investing the time in managing the server lol.

But I am not totally against the idea of playing on a server again some day under the right circumstances.

Oh and as a bonus, more cobble!:
j6oS9hS.png
Well if that time every comes, I'd be more than happy to help arrange that.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So product of another nights of insomnia:

N4dVkyD.png

GIQPC2W.png

Started on the front "pointy bits" but decided I needed some further guidelines further in to really do them.

Tower still needs a lot of work. Need to do something to make the upper shape more dynamic and less systematic.

Not entirely happy with the disc like look of the arms, not sure if its too big or if its just because there is lots that needs to be added still. Engine pods etc will probably help on the underside. Not sure what to put on the upper side tbh(just got an idea maybe while writing this). Resizing it would be a hell so here's hoping it will improve :p

Finished the night off with testing out engine exhaust location. Seems to work ok.