rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
First ore processing moved into the Abyssal base!
Decided to move over the GT ore processing line first to get an idea on how much space it would take. The IC2 wires are harder than other to hide(yes I know I can transform it to RF/UE/whatever with various cables, but I prefer to keep it "pure") so would prefer to keep it all gathered up in one location.
So dedicated a quarter of the main hub close to the "land lines" to all things related to GT/IC2:
Vxt3AIw.png

And I decided to go all in dressing the machines up:
6TDitJr.png

First we got the Industrial Grinders. Four of them on the same Multiblock. Those blocks on top of them are GT "Metal Encased Shelf"s used to bridge all the Grinders to I can feed them all with Factorization Routers "Round Robin" style.
5H6LBAU.png

Carpenter's Doors easy access FTW :p

Next we have the Industrial Cetrifuge:
DOLH4Pv.png

Nothing fancy there. Structure hides a GT Advanced Regulator that handles all the different dusts. Completely by accident it lined up so perfectly with the Grinder so I couldn't help myself from adding the conveyor and hopper :p

Last we got the Industrial Electrolyzer:
iJsI6El.png

W2jN79l.png

Not exactly easy to figure out what an Industrial Electrolyzer looks like IRL. Specially not one so "All-round" as the GT one lol :p But decided on this metal tube thingy with some pipes/wires and some "membranes" inside some Spring water(sadly the special effect of the spring water is above the water and not actually in the water, so particles are flowing up through the damn thing) :p

Overclocked all the machines and plan to transfer some of the common ores to the Mekanism setup so should have plenty of power to keep up with future ores.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I still have nightmares about the Industrial Electrolyzer. I eventually had to move the thing out of my base so I could automate the production of Aluminum dust from Bauxite. Even did a little video to show it off.

Of course your thing looks like a thousand or so times fancier than mine.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So working towards the x5 ore processing setup of Mekanism. It is all a bit complicated but I have found the official mod wiki very handy, especially this diagram:
Mekanism-flowchart.png

There is a lot of machines which I have been all coding into my ME network(was a royal PITA as so many of them was bugged in NEI and I had to craft items to use in recipes, such as lower tier Factories to make Higher tiers factory recipes. And all complicated by the fact that the names of all the factories does not mention which operation they perform..(only when you hold shift and this doesn't show on recipes in the MAC)).

One of the first big things that I need to set up is the Salination Plants to produce Brine. These are biome dependant and perform better the warmer the biome is. They also need direct sunlight so the abyssal base is not an option. The best would be a desert type biome, but simply do not have one of those available nearby my base(s). Back at the main base I experimented a bit and found the Jungle biomes I had sporadic spots of here and there were a decent alternative:
nWRtyF9.png

I chose to use that tiny sliver of Jungle biome that I had previously used for tropical bees(unnecessarily as was pointed out). I discovered that it is in fact only the Salination Controller that needs to be in the biome for it to count, so it was rather easy to fit them in(with room for more if needed).
I dug the salination plants down so the only thing visible was the Solar generators. Below it fitted nicely in with the OpenBlocks elevator leading from the bunker entrance Security station to the Atrium. So simply made another stop on that shaft and made a hall for the Salination Plants:
pazszZv.png

1bsa0FU.png

All the piping is purely decorative. There is a lot of info on the wikis about using loads of valves on the salination multiblocks, but I found that it was rather easy to keep them filled with water with a single Extra Cells Fluid Export bus. Tested it in creative in a desert world with constant day as well and it was more than plenty to keep it stocked. Simply do not see why more valves are needed(unless you use methods of transfer that are less efficient per connection ofc.)

While we are at it, with the introduction of the Salination Plants I was in need of a better water source. So far my ME network have been importing water from my 48 Aqueous accumulator setup, but this is simply not enough any more. Chose to look to an Extra Utilities liquid Transfer Node, but could not just have it magically produce endless amounts of water out of a 2x2 puddle. So needed to secure larger amounts of water from somewhere(if nothing else then just for a RP POV)(I suppose it would be easy to get lots of water at the Abyssal base, but couldent really find a way to sell it to myself. Partly because it would be salt water).

So built a little lake:
AWG91Sd.png

(There is one further up the mountain as well that I might connect with a small stream/waterfall later)
Lead it in through the Atrium:
SlwmKsS.png

From the Atrium in an aquaduct over the bee area:
Ezlylrx.png

And built a dam to "store the water" :p
jkvzVGa.png

Nothing is ever simply is it?....

On the dam I set up a liquid Transfer Node pumping water directly into a ME Fluid Interface:
e5AyE8Q.png

I kept the length of the Transfer node needs to scan to absolute minimum(to speed it up) and upgraded it with 64 Mining upgrades(to increase amount of fluid moved) and 8 speed upgrades(I try to keep this as low as possible to avoid it causing unnecessary "lag"). So far this seems fine to keep up with the 3 Salination plants and everything else.

To control it and thereby amount of fluid in my ME network I am using 2x ME Fluid Level emitters and a RS-Latch. One emitter is set to output RS signal when below a lower limit(2k), other is set to output RS signal when above an upper limit(3k). The RS-latch will then toggle the Transfer node on when lower limit is met and toggle it off again once upper limit it met. My ME networks water storage disc will therefore always have somewhere between 2k and 3k buckets of water.

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019
I've never tried out Mekanism, and looking at that sheet I'm somewhere between curious and frightened.. but I like with how much detail and passion you set up that water system. Just so I got this right, you send it all the way down to the dam - just to transport it back up again? :D

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
but I like with how much detail and passion you set up that water system. Just so I got this right, you send it all the way down to the dam - just to transport it back up again? :D
Pretty much yeah :p It might even go full circle as the Salination plants are basically evaporating the water to incease the salt concentration in the brine. So water might even make it back into the little lake :p

But to RP it completely, I would be collecting rain water from the entire mountain side and the roof of all base discs etc. to fill up the dam(and leading it away from the farming area). And I would need the reservoir for when it is not raining :p

(and yeah when thinking about it fully it might actually have made more sense to use salt water and not fresh water for the salination plants...)

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I've never tried out Mekanism, and looking at that sheet I'm somewhere between curious and frightened..
Before I did anything I tested it all out in creative:
JW0I1tr.png

After that it wasn't really so overwhelming :p
It doesn't help however that I am probably going to space it all up in my main world and have the gasses/fluids transferred/stored over the ME network. because the gasses are not counted as Minecraft fluids they need to be condensed first(In the Rotary Condensentrator), stored in ME as fluids, exported out and evaporated to gasses again where they are needed. But it is the only way I can automate production when they are needed, dispose of them whey there is an excess AND as a bonus they become oredict'ed with GT fluids this way.

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
...Wow. The sheer complexity here boggles the mind. I wish I had the skills/knowledge to make systems half this complex. :p

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Actually as they go, Mekanism Ore Processing is pretty simple. It takes a lot of space, but it's not specifically complex.

The dam thing though is a complete monster of a project.

Colossis

Jul 29, 2019
I set up a whole automated system for the 5x processing so a few things I learned-
Make sure you keep your fluid and item AE systems separate or you will start to find stacks of liquids in your item AE system.
You may have problems getting the fluids in item form to program your Import/Export busses and Level Emitters with. While you can use a Water bucket to program water, you cant get things like Liquid Hydrogen Chloride into a bucket. I found that Drums were useful for this.
You will need quite a few Rotary Condensentrators
Have your Electrolytic Separators producing 1 gas/liquid each, and vent the waste. This may seem wasteful but not doing it this way can back up and jam up your network. (Unless you want to do a lot of testing/maths)
You may want more than 1 setup for the production of some gasses/fluids. Some are used more rapidly and can bottleneck your system.
The Solar Generators on top of the Salination Plants are decorational as far as the Plant goes. Feel free to attach energy cables to them to produce some extra power without interrupting the Plant function. My whole processing area, including the ExtraCells fluid AE system, runs off the solars (up to the crystalised point. I then store them to be sent through the Factories on demand)
Use a large area for this, spread out, and be methodical. Signpost each setup if necessary. It's a lot to keep in your head.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I set up a whole automated system for the 5x processing so a few things I learned-
Make sure you keep your fluid and item AE systems separate or you will start to find stacks of liquids in your item AE system.
You may have problems getting the fluids in item form to program your Import/Export busses and Level Emitters with. While you can use a Water bucket to program water, you cant get things like Liquid Hydrogen Chloride into a bucket. I found that Drums were useful for this.
You will need quite a few Rotary Condensentrators
Have your Electrolytic Separators producing 1 gas/liquid each, and vent the waste. This may seem wasteful but not doing it this way can back up and jam up your network. (Unless you want to do a lot of testing/maths)
You may want more than 1 setup for the production of some gasses/fluids. Some are used more rapidly and can bottleneck your system.
The Solar Generators on top of the Salination Plants are decorational as far as the Plant goes. Feel free to attach energy cables to them to produce some extra power without interrupting the Plant function. My whole processing area, including the ExtraCells fluid AE system, runs off the solars (up to the crystalised point. I then store them to be sent through the Factories on demand)
Use a large area for this, spread out, and be methodical. Signpost each setup if necessary. It's a lot to keep in your head.
I gave up on importing it to ME as fluids. Indeed the problem was getting the fluids in bucket/drum form to program the different bus. Most could be gotten as drums but it proved impossible to program ME fluid level emitters with drums. And this was a large reason why I wanted to import it into the ME network in the first place. So decided to just keep it in gas form. Also proved quite easy to fit it all into the space I had set aside for it.

And yeah the Rotary Condensentrators are horribly inefficient. Need 4 of them per Electrolytic Separator if you want to condense both gasses...

I am pretty much done setting up the processing lines. Just need to dress it up a bit and watch it over time to look for balance issues.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So, Mekanism ore processing:
r2kwOQK.png

tadg8Uy.png

Set aside half the main "building" at the abyssal base for the Mekanism processing setup.

xZm1uRT.png

Since much of the x5 ore processing is not really capable of processing multiple ores(ores are dissolved and you cannot mix different ore fluids) I set up 5 separate ore groups: Iron, Copper, Tin, Gold and Osmium. Silver and Lead could be processed this way as well, but I chose to do those through GT as you get sulfur as a byproduct(will need that later) and I dont really need those metals that much anyway. Aluminium cannot be x5 so just going to add that later down the line to x2 it(I barely use it anyway).
ZVFeDVW.png

Ore comes in, gets dissolved in Sulphuric Acid, get washed and then crystallized into Crystals(5 crystals for each ore).

Rest of the setup is mainly just cleaning up the crystals and grinding them into dust that can then be smelted into ingots:
bGayhmb.png

Here in the foreground to the right the Brine from the Salination Plants get processed into Hydrogen Chloride. This will be used to clean the Crystals.

gua5MaV.png

Here Sulfur(coming in on the left) gets Oxidized(with oxygen coming from the background) and mixed with water vapor(added on the right) to create Sulphuric Acid used to dissolve the ore.

Bpotg77.png

Lastly the Crystals get cleaned up, purified, crushed, enriched etc. into dusts. Aluminium ore is also added to the last step here to x2 them(It is SO much easier doing it through mekanism than GT, as GTs dust requires it to be smelted in the Industrial Blast Furnace for 110s each).
On the right end is a setup tacked on that converts gunpowder into sulphur when needed. So far it has not been needed though as I have had a huge backlog of Sulfur from running the GT ore processing etc.

Lastly I decorated the place a bit with some cosmetic wires, air ducts and other bits:
5FsydF8.png

I have also put these air ducts in the Mekanism and GT processing rooms.

I have had to build another Salination Plant to keep up with Brine production. Not sure but might possibly have to build a 5th as well :confused:
Maybe I just need to let it settle down a bit and have a look. After all with x5 ore processing I doubt I need to run my QuarryPlus any more. Maybe just a few more Laser Drills. Also the Mekanism setup is kinda working hard atm chucking its way through 25k Osmium ores that I had in store while doing ores from quarry :p Probably a bit overkill.

HazDS

Jul 29, 2019
Wow...

Been a while since I've checked your thread Rhn, you don't disappoint and so inspiring! Note to self, start building more like this and not randomly putting projects out on the land you just flattened. Keep up the great work!