RFTools - Support and Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
So you want to replace your Overworld with an RFTools dimension... interesting.

It's possible to fake that by setting your spawn point in an RFTools dimension, which is already possible (although it's not so reliable in SMP... either that or my ferver admin friend derped). Gideonseymour pulled it off in Pathfinder, somehow... I know that there is a "Special Spawn Dimlet" that allows you to respawn in an RFTools dimension as long as it's not low on power. However, I don't know what happens if you die in a different dimension, use the End portal, or join a server with one of these dimensions for the first time.

Hmm, unrelated idea: Some way to create a dimension closer to the style of vanilla Superflat dimensions. I'm thinking this could take the form of a Terrain dimlet that takes an arbitrary number of Material and possibly Digit dimlet modifiers, so [Digit 1] [Material Bedrock] [Digit 3] [Material Dirt] [Digit 1] [Material Grass] [Terrain Superflat] would produce the classic vanilla bedrock-dirt-dirt-dirt-grass Superflat world that's constantly overrun by slimes.

Probably not very useful, and may not even be possible with the existing infrastructure for terrain dimlets, but it's an idea.
I know it's possible, but I can't save presets outside that world and it's a pain to cheat in all the dimlets - you can't have NEI/the creative menu AND the Dimension Enscriber open at the same time (or at least, NEI is small on my monitor when that's open). The ideal world type for this would have the search bar open at the same time as the "enscriber" and always able to be typed in; you can't click out of it.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Here you see the GUI for a new item filter that will be able to restrict items going into a modular storage block. This is basically an additional module that you can install. If it is installed the storage will only accept items that match the filter. This filter will support black and whitelisting as well as ore dictionary support and metadata support (damage).

This is a standalone filter which you have to setup outside of the machine (it has its own gui). I also plan to use this in other RFTools machines. For example in the auto-crafter to restrict what you can insert into the crafter.

mWfDo3j.png

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
@McJty, did you see my post about the world type?
Love the mod (surely you've seen my posts about it in other threads ;)).
I'm just going to repeat a suggestion I saw a while ago:
A customizable world-type, done like an Enscriber.
Think like superflat, but instead of needing a complicated set of codes, just set up your dimlets (which are infinite and searchable) inside of a "Custom" menu under the "RFTools Gen" worldtype. So, if I want floating islands with liquid orbs of oil, I can generate that as my overworld. ^^
A couple presets would be good; fantastic overworld with extra dungeons and nether biomes as well, and maybe a mining dimension - increased oregen with the cavern worldtype. :D

I plan on trying to implement this myself as part of a mod I'd *like* to make, if/when I actually learn to mod properly, especially if you haven't gotten to it by then. :p
(Someone Else also had a comment, which I replied to)
So you want to replace your Overworld with an RFTools dimension... interesting.

It's possible to fake that by setting your spawn point in an RFTools dimension, which is already possible (although it's not so reliable in SMP... either that or my ferver admin friend derped). Gideonseymour pulled it off in Pathfinder, somehow... I know that there is a "Special Spawn Dimlet" that allows you to respawn in an RFTools dimension as long as it's not low on power. However, I don't know what happens if you die in a different dimension, use the End portal, or join a server with one of these dimensions for the first time.

Hmm, unrelated idea: Some way to create a dimension closer to the style of vanilla Superflat dimensions. I'm thinking this could take the form of a Terrain dimlet that takes an arbitrary number of Material and possibly Digit dimlet modifiers, so [Digit 1] [Material Bedrock] [Digit 3] [Material Dirt] [Digit 1] [Material Grass] [Terrain Superflat] would produce the classic vanilla bedrock-dirt-dirt-dirt-grass Superflat world that's constantly overrun by slimes.

Probably not very useful, and may not even be possible with the existing infrastructure for terrain dimlets, but it's an idea.
I know it's possible, but I can't save presets outside that world and it's a pain to cheat in all the dimlets - you can't have NEI/the creative menu AND the Dimension Enscriber open at the same time (or at least, NEI is small on my monitor when that's open). The ideal world type for this would have the search bar open at the same time as the "enscriber" and always able to be typed in; you can't click out of it.
Sorry to pester you, but it seems uncharacteristic for you not to respond. :p

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
@McJty, did you see my post about the world type?

(Someone Else also had a comment, which I replied to)
Sorry to pester you, but it seems uncharacteristic for you not to respond. :p

Well changing the world type from the start of your game is something that I have no clue yet on how to do. So no idea about how feasible that is and if you can actually access things like dimlets there.

A vanilla superflat dimension world generator might be possible. Not sure how wanted that would be though. That kind of superflat world isn't very useful in a real game is it?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I'm about to release RFTools 2.92 but because I did some important internal changes to the storage system I would like people to test this on TEST worlds (or after making a backup). Most importantly I had to change the internal NBT format of a Modular Storage Block. I added code to transparently convert old format to new so I want to be sure no items are lost during that conversion. So to properly test this you should first load your world with the current version of RFTools (2.91) and check the contents of all your modular storage blocks. Then make a backup, upgrade to the beta and see if all blocks still contain the same objects.

The last beta can be downloaded here:

http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/224641-rftools

And here is the changelog:

• Fixed a serious bug syncing dimension information to clients in case dimensions went over id 128. RFTools was using a byte...
  • New Storage Filter module and a third slot in the Modular Storage Block where you can insert this filter. This filter can hold up to 18 ghost items (for filtering on) and can filter based on ore dictionary, matching item damage, matching NBT as well as filter on mod. You can also set the filter to blacklist instead of whitelist. If you insert this module in a storage block then you will only be able to insert items that match the filter (either with the GUI as well as with automation).
  • The storage module GUI adapts itself to the available resolution (in height).
  • There is a new storage tablet that you have to charge up and put in the crafting table together with a storage module. That way you can access the storage from within your hotbar. It is no longer possible to access storage items without this tablet (even remote storage items). Every time you open the tablet it will use RF.
  • Registered all known dimlets to the 'dimlet' ore dictionary entry. Makes for easier filtering based on oredict.
  • Added an optional recipe for dimensional shards. This can be enabled in the config in case you are managing a server were dimensions are forbidden or restricted (i.e. only void dimensions for example).
  • Added several categories to the generic item module
  • Added /rftcfg dumpclasses command to help with finding good classifications for the generic item module.
  • Fixed a bug with the storage system in combination with dimlets for which an entry is missing. This could make a storage block not accessible.
Thanks!

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
May I suggest a couple of nerfs? Specifically regarding Blood Magic and Hunger Overhaul/Spice of Life...

Firstly I would recommend this can be activated/deactivated in the configs...

Blood Magic:
Increase the life essence dimlet from 300RF/t to 1200RF/t so it's still possible to use but pushes it later, cos I bypassed the sacrifice mechanic completely using an RFTools Life Essence Deep Ocean(Whose entire floor is Lapis Ore ;) )
Shut the regen module of the environmental controller off if there's a blood altar nearby OR in it's area of effect. Have to have both shutoffs to stop people either setting it to 1x1 and putting it next to the altar or putting it miles away with a massive range.

Hunger Overhaul:
The saturation module is a bit easy to get running and it's way too easy to make this mod completely ineffective. If Hunger Overhaul is installed the regen module should use a LOT more power and maybe if Harvestcraft is installed too require it to be crafted with some of the higher tier feasts so once they've "finished" Hunger Overhaul they can use the module instead.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
May I suggest a couple of nerfs? Specifically regarding Blood Magic and Hunger Overhaul/Spice of Life...

Blood Magic:
Increase the life essence dimlet from 300RF/t to 1200RF/t so it's still possible to use but pushes it later, cos I bypassed the sacrifice mechanic completely using an RFTools Life Essence Deep Ocean(Whose entire floor is Lapis Ore ;) )
Shut the regen module of the environmental controller off if there's a blood altar nearby OR in it's area of effect. Have to have both shutoffs to stop people either setting it to 1x1 and putting it next to the altar or putting it miles away with a massive range.

Hunger Overhaul:
The saturation module is a bit easy to get running and it's way too easy to make this mod completely ineffective. If Hunger Overhaul is installed the regen module should use a LOT more power and maybe if Harvestcraft is installed too require it to be crafted with some of the higher tier feasts so once they've "finished" Hunger Overhaul they can use the module instead.

The first is easy. I'll do that.

The second I'll simply do by making those costs configurable. So someone who makes a modpack with Hunger Overhaul and RFTools can increase the cost that way. I'm not going to attempt to detect this automatically as that is error prone.

Note that Hunger Overhaul breaks easily in combination with other mods too. Like Chromaticraft which also has crystals that give you saturation. Cross-mod balance is always a challenge to get right which is why I believe in heavy configurability.

Reactions: Golrith

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
The first is easy. I'll do that.

The second I'll simply do by making those costs configurable. So someone who makes a modpack with Hunger Overhaul and RFTools can increase the cost that way. I'm not going to attempt to detect this automatically as that is error prone.

Note that Hunger Overhaul breaks easily in combination with other mods too. Like Chromaticraft which also has crystals that give you saturation. Cross-mod balance is always a challenge to get right which is why I believe in heavy configurability.

Sounds good! Was just a suggestion to maybe help pack makers balance the mod in a bit better;)

Yeah it's incredibly difficult, but a mod author should be applauded when adding such config options so bravo sir!

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

Blood Magic:

Hmm seems I already have this in the config:

[ "Liquid", "life essence", 2000, 1000, 250, 3, 0 ],

So it should be 1000 RF/tick but you say you have 300? Perhaps you're using outdated configs? Or perhaps I'm using the wrong dimlet name. Can you hold the dimlet in your hand and type /rftcfg dimletcfg then show me what that said?

Thanks

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm seems I already have this in the config:

[ "Liquid", "life essence", 2000, 1000, 250, 3, 0 ],

So it should be 1000 RF/tick but you say you have 300? Perhaps you're using outdated configs? Or perhaps I'm using the wrong dimlet name. Can you hold the dimlet in your hand and type /rftcfg dimletcfg then show me what that said?

Thanks

Indeed it's 1000RF/t now, noticed the 300 a while back so must have updated!

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
@McJty:
Just out of curiosity, what are the differences between the Chaotic, Island, and Islands terrain types? I guess Island is just a single floating island, while islands is multiple, but Chaotic also seems like Islands. So, what is each intended to be?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
@McJty:
Just out of curiosity, what are the differences between the Chaotic, Island, and Islands terrain types? I guess Island is just a single floating island, while islands is multiple, but Chaotic also seems like Islands. So, what is each intended to be?

You forgot 'Plateaus' :)

Well Island is the same generator as it used by the End.
Islands, Chaotic, and Plateaus are variant of that generator with slightly different parameters and I named them after what I thought they looked like most :)

Reactions: Type1Ninja

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Patreon dimlets:

EipMCKG.png

If you are a Patreon and you want such a dimlet then please send me a message. You can also suggest a (purely cosmetic) effect to go along with this. I can do things like sky color, sky texture, your minecraft avatar as a celestial body, special colored spawn platform and so on.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
@McJty:
Would it be possible to disable the researching of certain dimlets, but not crafting them in the dimlet workbench of the dimlets themselves?
For example: let's say I want to get a world with molten copper in it. But with this config I'm looking for, I can only get that either through chance or through a liquid absorber.
If this is possible, is it possible to apply it to, say all liquid, material, and biome dimlets?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
@McJty:
Would it be possible to disable the researching of certain dimlets, but not crafting them in the dimlet workbench of the dimlets themselves?
For example: let's say I want to get a world with molten copper in it. But with this config I'm looking for, I can only get that either through chance or through a liquid absorber.
If this is possible, is it possible to apply it to, say all liquid, material, and biome dimlets?

Currently that's not yet possible but it is not impossible to add that. I'll write it down :)

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Currently that's not yet possible but it is not impossible to add that. I'll write it down :)
Yay! I'm a contributor again! :D
It seems like you tried to make material and liquid (and biome, I guess) dimlets balanced by making them require 128 of whatever block you want, which is great. You might also get them from random chance, which may or may not be OP, but I like it so I'll stop talking about that. ;) However, you can scan lots of unknown dimlets if you just have an enderman spawner set up, and you'll get a lot of material dimlets, some of which will be very OP.

My original reasoning was that I wanted Minchem chemical lakes to be craftable (because meth lakes are fun ;)) but I don't want effect-less chemicals spamming my random chance worlds with their generic uselessness. :) I later figured out that this idea was transferable to balancing stuff as well, giving me good enough reason to post it. :)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Yay! I'm a contributor again! :D
It seems like you tried to make material and liquid (and biome, I guess) dimlets balanced by making them require 128 of whatever block you want, which is great. You might also get them from random chance, which may or may not be OP, but I like it so I'll stop talking about that. ;) However, you can scan lots of unknown dimlets if you just have an enderman spawner set up, and you'll get a lot of material dimlets, some of which will be very OP.

My original reasoning was that I wanted Minchem chemical lakes to be craftable (because meth lakes are fun ;)) but I don't want effect-less chemicals spamming my random chance worlds with their generic uselessness. :) I later figured out that this idea was transferable to balancing stuff as well, giving me good enough reason to post it. :)

Well you still have to pay the power cost for very powerful dimlets so you have both the rarity as well as the power.