RFTools - Support and Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well. The problem is that I don't know how time torches are actually implemented but I have a nagging feeling that they work by calling updateEntity() multiple additional times (additional to what Minecraft already does). If that's the case then it will not be useful for me as they don't actually influence the MC ticks that happen anyway.

But I'm looking into MC code right now to see if there is anywhere that I can intervene.
Ask @chbachman, he gave me a briefer on how its theoretically done once.

Reactions: McJty

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Ok, so anyone has any tips for me here? I need a way to either:

• Prevent ticks on entities and tile entities in an unpowered dimension (but still allow the player to go there if he has a Phased Field Generator)
  • Forcibly unload chunks when no players are in an unpowered dimension even if chunkloaders try to load them again
  • Some other way to stop machines from running
Suggestions?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I just implemented a solution. Chunks can still be loaded so this doesn't involve chunkloading at all. It means that you can also visit the world if you are in creative or using the Phased Field Generator. However, all entities just stop ticking. Animals and mobs freeze in place and machines don't do anything. It works like a charm!

I'm going to include this as an optional feature in 2.76 but if it goes well it will be default in 2.80

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I just implemented a solution. Chunks can still be loaded so this doesn't involve chunkloading at all. It means that you can also visit the world if you are in creative or using the Phased Field Generator. However, all entities just stop ticking. Animals and mobs freeze in place and machines don't do anything. It works like a charm!

I'm going to include this as an optional feature in 2.76 but if it goes well it will be default in 2.80
Pimpin' man, good job :)

It would probably be even better to blow up chunk loaders when placed in a RFTools dimension... >:)
Funnier maybe, but would require accommodating different chunkloaders probably (like if I create a popular chunkloader mod, he'd have to code specifically to handle that.)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
It would probably be even better to blow up chunk loaders when placed in a RFTools dimension... >:)

Problem is that there are a lots. Also some quarries and pumps have built-in chunkloaders. It would be hassle to blacklist and find all of those. My solution seems more general but of course it has to be tested well. I currently have one server admin who deployed the latest dev build on his server because some of his players were abusing rftools dimensions like this :)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Well there are many (more evil) ways to do chunkloading. For example you could just forcibly do World.getBlock(...) every few ticks in a TickEvent.ServerTickEvent. Ugly but it would effectively chunkload those chunks.

There are even some vanilla ways to do chunkloading involving hoppers and/or nether portals. Although most of those would probably not work in other dimensions since you can't have nether portals there and there are also no spawn chunks to initiate the hopper chain from.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Nether portals can exist in negative dimensions.

I don't know about RfTools, but Mystcraft lets you force an age to be negative numbered.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
OUCH.

[17:20:40] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: The mod rftools (RFTools) requires mods [CoFHCore] to be available

I don't remember that being the case before; what does it need COFH for?

This is happening with 2.75

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
... CoFH _CORE_? That's worldgen stuff, right?

(EDIT: Retrogen support, replacing the ore layouts/distributions, providing more ores than normal, giving a bunch of layout options similar to COG, etc.)

Last edited:

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
... CoFH _CORE_? That's worldgen stuff, right?

(EDIT: Retrogen support, replacing the ore layouts/distributions, providing more ores than normal, giving a bunch of layout options similar to COG, etc.)
It adds world functionality. It also adds RF, along another wide variety of things.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, done.

Now, how do I tell COFHCore to do NOTHING at all, just provide what RfTools needs?

(I'm seeing more and more, these "core" mods with functionality defaulting to doing something. Whether it's making snow stack up by default, or Applecore/hunger overhaul changing the hunger mechanics, and people realizing that 1, the only user-exposed controls for Applecore are in HO, and 2, HO cannot give you unchanged vanilla hunger mechanics to start modification from, or "here's a better oregen system". I don't want CofhCore to duplicate vanilla ore gen by default, I want it to IGNORE oregen by default.

In fairness, it has been many versions since I was annoyed by CofhCore, perhaps it now does nothing out of the box unless you tell it to?)

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Alright, done.

Now, how do I tell COFHCore to do NOTHING at all, just provide what RfTools needs?

(I'm seeing more and more, these "core" mods with functionality defaulting to doing something. Whether it's making snow stack up by default, or Applecore/hunger overhaul changing the hunger mechanics, and people realizing that 1, the only user-exposed controls for Applecore are in HO, and 2, HO cannot give you unchanged vanilla hunger mechanics to start modification from, or "here's a better oregen system". I don't want CofhCore to duplicate vanilla ore gen by default, I want it to IGNORE oregen by default.

In fairness, it has been many versions since I was annoyed by CofhCore, perhaps it now does nothing out of the box unless you tell it to?)
It won't override vanilla ore gen unless you enable it in the config.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
1. Drop heads from combat.
2. Appears to provide two new enchantments, Multishot and holding.
3. Changes how loose items drop/stack (... which means I now have to retest how this works with a sapling auto-plant on despawn mod, which was relying on saplings from large trees being separate and having a tree-dependent chance to plant)
4. Shader effects added to client rendering.
5. "Chunk sorting during rendering", with no clue what that means.
6. And something about security warnings.

None of this is documented on the website.

This is what I mean. I need COFHCore for RF. But COFHCore wants to actually do stuff, rather than just being a library for other things.

Reactions: CoolSquid

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Because sometimes dimensions need more colors (new feature: huge orbs + liquid orbs and multiple materials/liquids for them):

uwtv8eS.png

Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
So orbs can now take any number of material modifiers, and will layer them in concentric spheres? Fancy.

Also, nice touch on the stained glass. Looks neat!