Regarding Private Modpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

B45op

Jul 29, 2019
Tony if that is the case then I would like to know for certain that is going to happen because in that case I will upload my modpack to my mc server or to my webhost and have the download come from there instead of from my dropbox which would be fine for the approval process but I wouldn't like that for everyday usage.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I am working on a official post explaining the submission and update process, it should answer most of the questions. The short answer to this one is that we host the download and to update you do have to go through us.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
The whole process to me is asinine.
You're saying that respecting the wishes of the people who spend their free time making mods is, "Extremely stupid or foolish?" Regardless, that's what we do here, don't post comments just saying it's stupid.

Reactions: Dah Baron

kylemcqueen75

Nov 4, 2012
You're saying that respecting the wishes of the people who spend their free time making mods is, "Extremely stupid or foolish?" Regardless, that's what we do here, don't post comments just saying it's stupid.
I think this is one of those times someone finds out the meaning to a new "big word," and just really wants to use it.

MagisterXero

Jul 29, 2019
The whole process to me is asinine.

Albeit, the process IS very meticulous and tedious. It is most definitely not asinine.

Imagine that, you want to use a series of mods, plugins, etc, and you have, 5, 10, 15, hell 20 people you want to play with you on said mods, plugins etc.
Now imagine, that none of these OTHER people know how to work the mods or anything else themselves. And a few of them live hours, days, away from you, don't know how to properly operate a PC file system well enough to know wtf you're talking about when you say put 'this' into 'that'.

Or, let's say instead, you've got a precompiled list of mods all zipped up and ready and you release it to other people. For some reason, it doesn't work on someone's client, something bombs they can't connect, etc.

Now, let's then go further and say that a MAJOR update, minecraft for example, is released and you want to update to it. Well, now that means you have to recompile everything, redistribute it to everyone, walk them through problems, etc blah blah.

The FTB Private Pack solves these problems.

Put in a private code, unlock a pack, auto-download.

You want to update? Recompile your updates, re-submit to FTB, they give an OK, and then your users get a new prompt "A new mod pack is available".

Simple. Easy.

Your hard work goes into ensuring that the ease of access, reliability, and method of delivery to your users, friends, family is simplified so that even the most PC unfriendly person can get it working.

Oh and, if you're just going to say, "I don't play multiplayer", then get out of this thread, and go back to your single player. This thread is not for the "Single Players".
Simply downloading mods, and using them for single player benefit does not necessarily constitute being warranted enough to be called a "Mod Pack".
Yes, it is a "Pack of mods", but you have no intention to release it. To Anyone.

afa7336

Jul 29, 2019
Watchful11, I have some questions for you, and the FTB team about this. And since no one has been able to get a straight answer nor give me one, it is sort of souring the taste in my mouth with regards to doing the private pack route via the launcher. Its looking like amateur hour, quite frankly. So a few questions directly for you, if you can answer them.

I do understand why we have to let you handle the updates, so that isn't a question. You gotta cover six on that one. But regarding that.
-a) What is the turn around time you expect on average from submitting to being updated on ANY mod updates or config updates?
-b) How will you handle letting server owners know that it is updated in the launcher?
--a) This is going to leave people updating and the server not if not handled correctly, I hope you realize that.
-c) What kind of infrustructure do you guys have in place to handle updating the private packs? Especially with some mods updating at a rapid pace. (I'm looking at you UE and Forestry)

(Everything said here is meant without malice, or harmful intent. Those that know me well enough, know I can be a cold hearted blunt asshole.)

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
First, I am working on an official post for private pack submissions, depending on my homework schedule, I am hoping to get it up tonight.

The general policy for updating will be this.
We do not yet have any infrastructure to handle private packs, we are working on it, but for now everything will be handled in private messages.
An update would simply consist of a link to the updated pack download, and a note if any mods were added.
We would check the pack, then submit it to the launcher team for uploading. At present, we will probably update packs at a specific time on Mondays. I am still working out the details.
So you would submit the pack, then we would approve it, and you would update your server at that time.

Mooseman9

Jul 29, 2019
Albeit, the process IS very meticulous and tedious. It is most definitely not asinine.

Imagine that, you want to use a series of mods, plugins, etc, and you have, 5, 10, 15, hell 20 people you want to play with you on said mods, plugins etc.
Now imagine, that none of these OTHER people know how to work the mods or anything else themselves. And a few of them live hours, days, away from you, don't know how to properly operate a PC file system well enough to know wtf you're talking about when you say put 'this' into 'that'.

Or, let's say instead, you've got a precompiled list of mods all zipped up and ready and you release it to other people. For some reason, it doesn't work on someone's client, something bombs they can't connect, etc.

Now, let's then go further and say that a MAJOR update, minecraft for example, is released and you want to update to it. Well, now that means you have to recompile everything, redistribute it to everyone, walk them through problems, etc blah blah.

The FTB Private Pack solves these problems.

Put in a private code, unlock a pack, auto-download.

You want to update? Recompile your updates, re-submit to FTB, they give an OK, and then your users get a new prompt "A new mod pack is available".

Simple. Easy.

Your hard work goes into ensuring that the ease of access, reliability, and method of delivery to your users, friends, family is simplified so that even the most PC unfriendly person can get it working.

Oh and, if you're just going to say, "I don't play multiplayer", then get out of this thread, and go back to your single player. This thread is not for the "Single Players".
Simply downloading mods, and using them for single player benefit does not necessarily constitute being warranted enough to be called a "Mod Pack".
Yes, it is a "Pack of mods", but you have no intention to release it. To Anyone.
The whole process of getting permissions for a private pack is asinine. Modders have a policy regarding them, in their own thread, stating that anyone who wants to use it for a private pack doesn't need to PM them.

I mostly play multiplayer, and if I ever wanted to set up my own server for my friends with mods, I would most likely use the custom zip feature of the Technic Launcher. It's much easier to do, and you don't need to go through all the pre-approval bull.

Now, I know you're going to be like 'TECKNC IS EBIL!!!!!11', but that's childish.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
There are a few mods that don't want to be in private packs. While FTB is helping distribute the packs, we will respect the wishes of the developers of those mods. Since there are many many mods out there and we can't possibly look up and find the policy of each one, we require the submitter of the pack to prove he has permission for each and every mod. While I won't say that it is trivial, it is certainly not all the difficult a process.
But I don't see why you are in here dissing the policy. If you don't want to use it, then don't.

Edit: and I think I made my opinion clear about tekkit back in the first few pages.

GearSB

Jul 29, 2019
There's only a handful of mods that need explicit permission as long as you give credit/link to them, and don't publish the code in a public place.

Permission is not a major concern anymore.

MagisterXero

Jul 29, 2019
The whole process of getting permissions for a private pack is asinine. Modders have a policy regarding them, in their own thread, stating that anyone who wants to use it for a private pack doesn't need to PM them.

I mostly play multiplayer, and if I ever wanted to set up my own server for my friends with mods, I would most likely use the custom zip feature of the Technic Launcher. It's much easier to do, and you don't need to go through all the pre-approval bull.

Now, I know you're going to be like 'TECKNC IS EBIL!!!!!11', but that's childish.

If you like Tekkit so much. Get off this forum, and go play with Tekkit.

The Permissions policy is set up so that it provides the Mod Authors, a respect they deserve.
When you actually have a moderately well made mod in place, then, you can start complaining.
Until then, go about your own business and stop trolling forums.

Reactions: Dah Baron

delicateglow

Jul 29, 2019
That's not what he's saying at all. I don't agree with him, however. To be honest, yes, I find the whole 'get permission for private modpack' very silly. But you know what? I'll respect their decision. You're not forced to put it in the FTB launcher. That is just one method of many others.

Mooseman9

Jul 29, 2019

The Permissions policy is set up so that it provides the Mod Authors, a respect they deserve.
When you actually have a moderately well made mod in place, then, you can start complaining.
Until then, go about your own business and stop trolling forums.
Look buddy, I play FTB as well as Tekkit. I'm not the type to discriminate.

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
There are a few mods that don't want to be in private packs. While FTB is helping distribute the packs, we will respect the wishes of the developers of those mods. Since there are many many mods out there and we can't possibly look up and find the policy of each one, we require the submitter of the pack to prove he has permission for each and every mod. While I won't say that it is trivial, it is certainly not all the difficult a process.
But I don't see why you are in here dissing the policy. If you don't want to use it, then don't.

Edit: and I think I made my opinion clear about tekkit back in the first few pages.

It seems silly to me for a private mod pack to have to ask permission for mods the FTB team has already received permission for. The FTB team should have gotten permission for packs distributed by the launcher. This would have eliminated the need for private packs to ask for permission, except in cases where:
  • The mod author has explicit restrictions and require private packs to ask
  • The private pack has mods that are not in ANY FTB labled pack (Magic Pack, DW20 Pack....etc)
Additionally, maybe this feature should not have been announced when there wasn't a clear plan for it.

Yes, I know this post is in hindsight AND it's from someone not tied to the team. It's not meant to piss anyone off or belittle the team in anyway. It's an observation. It is my hope that someone on the team sees this and it leads to more thoughtful contemplation before releasing an announcement for a new feature. Having an FAQ along with the announcement could help pre-answer some of the questions. As you can imagine and see, this is a VERY active community of people who CARE and WANT the FTB team to succeed more and more daily. We also won't hesitate to call you guys out when something stinks. Both are admirable qualities of the community and is a direct reflection of the quality the FTB team puts out.

Flame if you will, I have on a Kenny suit...lol.

Dah Baron

Jul 29, 2019
It seems silly to me for a private mod pack to have to ask permission for mods the FTB team has already received permission for. The FTB team should have gotten permission for packs distributed by the launcher. This would have eliminated the need for private packs to ask for permission, except in cases where:
  • The mod author has explicit restrictions and require private packs to ask
  • The private pack has mods that are not in ANY FTB labled pack (Magic Pack, DW20 Pack....etc)

They have, that's what the Central Mod Permissions topic is for.

Reactions: B45op

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
As far as mods go, we will always respect the wishes of the mod authors. We have permission from the authors of the mods in the official packs only to be in official packs. Some of the authors explicitly stated that they were not giving permission to any other packs distributed through the launcher. If a mod author doesn't want their mod in 3rd party or private packs, us asking will not change anything. The one exception, as Dah Baron said, is that Central Mod Permissions thread.

I don't know any long term plans, but at this moment, the submitter of the private pack is the owner of the pack and it is not officially affiliated with FTB. However, we are distributing the pack, so we are enforcing the rule that you must have permission for each mod in it. Since we don't have time to look up every obscure mod that a pack might add, we have the policy that you have to list out the mods and permissions for each one.

Note: In my post a ways up I said that I was working on an official post and hoped to get it up tonight. The text of the post is done, but I am still working on a few details concerning updating the packs, I'll try to have it up tomorrow.

Reactions: Phuriousgeorge

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
They have, that's what the Central Mod Permissions topic is for.
The central mods permissions topic is for mods that the FTB team have permissions for. These permissions DO NOT cover private mod packs so people who want to set up a pack, when we can, will have to go get permission for something the FTB team could have covered by getting permission for ANY modpack that is distributed through the FTB launcher. Especially, since the FTB team has to approve your private mod pack AND you have to provide permission for mods not in that pack.

In essence ANY mod already in an FTB Official pack should have been covered so people don't have to bombard mod authors with hundreds of requests to add their mod to one's private pack. Would you rather them spend time posting yes you can or no you can't or spending time developing the mods we all love or, better yet, taking a break from modding to spend time with loved ones so they can come back to developing fresh and ready to make the magic!!

delicateglow

Jul 29, 2019
The central mods permissions topic is for mods that the FTB team have permissions for. These permissions DO NOT cover private mod packs so people who want to set up a pack, when we can, will have to go get permission for something the FTB team could have covered by getting permission for ANY modpack that is distributed through the FTB launcher. Especially, since the FTB team has to approve your private mod pack AND you have to provide permission for mods not in that pack.

In essence ANY mod already in an FTB Official pack should have been covered so people don't have to bombard mod authors with hundreds of requests to add their mod to one's private pack. Would you rather them spend time posting yes you can or no you can't or spending time developing the mods we all love or, better yet, taking a break from modding to spend time with loved ones so they can come back to developing fresh and ready to make the magic!!
No, it isn't. Even Watchful implied it goes for Private Modpacks. Do you realize that thread is under Third Party Mod Packs section? Which is what a private pack falls under.
Secondly, I honestly don't see why people are complaining so much about getting permissions. You barely have to give any effort out to get permission from mods. See the list of Mindcrack mods? Yea, I got permission from every mod in it except Xycraft and Portal Gun.
For other mods? Just send them a PM. A simple PM, not an essay. It's not that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.