RedPower news, and thaumcraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I agree with what you're saying overall, but I hope this statement is referring to people's comments about Eloraam's recent update, not about Slowpoke's. The jokes saturating his post aren't hard to miss.
Well, I wouldn't call that trolling either, so much as joking around with the community. Trolling implies a malicious intent which is completely absent in Slowpokes joviality.

Reactions: Thuulstrea

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
However, there is a slippery slope that can lead to 'I paid you, now gimme gimme gimme!' sense of entitlement out of donations that just shouldn't exist. There is a HUGE difference between a donation and a payment. The former is done out of charity and goodwill, and does not carry with it, implied or explicit, any sense of obligation on the receiver. The latter is a form of contract in which services are rendered for payment due. Donations *MIGHT* help the mod get developed faster. It does not, however, entitle the donators to a delivery date. Donated does not equate to Paid.

Well at the night (it might be evening for the US though) that slow told us that donations might be not a bad idea the people that announced their donations in the chat were primarly people that would not care if she used the donations to get some time off to relax. We spekulated about her buying some fine wine or maybe a christmas-present for herself. I don't think that the people expected such a large impact. But I'm not sure how high the donations were, seemed like 120-150$ this evening, but as people asked about the donation-link the next day and got told the reason why it is there the number of donations might have increased.

But most people that would have the attidude you fear are the ones going "lol, donation-links without a release" so I don't think they will donate anyway and it also showed that there are a lot of sane people out there.

CoderJ

Jul 29, 2019
I am of two minds about this comment.

On the one hand, donating instead of bellyaching is always a more productive way to wile away the time until your favourite mod gets out. And it might well help get that mod out faster.

However, there is a slippery slope that can lead to 'I paid you, now gimme gimme gimme!' sense of entitlement out of donations that just shouldn't exist. There is a HUGE difference between a donation and a payment. The former is done out of charity and goodwill, and does not carry with it, implied or explicit, any sense of obligation on the receiver. The latter is a form of contract in which services are rendered for payment due. Donations *MIGHT* help the mod get developed faster. It does not, however, entitle the donators to a delivery date. Donated does not equate to Paid.

I'm sure you intended it in the former connotation, however since certain people have decided to abandon all manners by calling updates 'troll posts' and accusing the mod author of delaying the release in the hopes for more donations, I thought I'd at least try to nip this one in the bud before someone else decides to be... ill mannered.

Seriously? Go back and read my posts (in this thread, I believe); I have argued against the "I paid you, now gimme gimme gimme" attitude and quite frankly I find it insulting you would quote/reply to me like that. As I have stated before, and I will say again, making mods for Minecraft is not something one does to make money as often the return (if any) will never match the investment the mod maker puts into it... at least from a monetary stand point. Donating and/or traffic revenue services do not equal actual return and one always has bills they have to pay so real life tends to take priority. That is aside from the the non-monetary commitment of spending time making the mod often takes on one's life (family, friends, free time)... which also was a slap at those who bitched she has time to play occasionally on ForgeCraft (OMG, forbid she takes a fraction of her free time to have fun with friends).

My comment was, and remains, that I'm happy to see Eloraam is able to be more active now and that enough of the community came together to show they're not entitled whiners but actually care enough to help her out during a tough/busy time in her life (which she didn't ever tell anyone, so they can't say she's been begging for hand outs and/or making excuses).

Go find something that actually needs nipping. kthxbye.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Right, this is getting silly. We've covered booze...
Party food, that rumcake was wonderful.

How about desert? Holidays, anybody have special plans with holiday food?

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Sure Ted, but I'd love to hear what you think of as holiday food.

I love to throw a nice holiday dinner, ham, red potatoes with herbs, green beans with almonds. A slightly different mood then thanksgiving where I try to have as many choices as possible, I like to go simpler for yule.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing better than moms Turkey, homemade cornbread dressing, and giblet gravy with some candied yams ;)

Reminds me I need to get her recipes so she can stop making it every year, she is getting close to 75 and shouldn't be having to cook Xmas dinner :(

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I disagree with the organ meat in your gravy, buy cornbread is a wonderful thing in a stuffing and might have to do it one thanksgiving. I just find two birds that close together to be a little much for me, so for me it's a ham.

CoderJ

Jul 29, 2019
Pizza, cupcakes?

Honestly J, I am intrigued. Please, tell me more.
Super simple; Pillsbury classic pizza dough, split into 12 pieces. Put into greased cupcake mold. 1 dried pint of cherry tomatoes, diced and seasoned as you like (I'm a pepper and oregano fan, your mileage may vary). Top with mozzarella and mini-pepperonis, bake @ 400F for about 15 minutes on bottom rack (or until cheese looks golden).

I've seen some people use cupcake wrappers... they're fine without.

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
I've got some Nawlins (New Orleans for the rest of you) blood in me, so there's nothing better than a crawfish boil on Christmas. One of the best things I've ever done. I'm gonna agree with you, ICountFrom0, that ham is the superior holiday meat. Turkey's overrated.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Does eggnog count as a desert? Probably my favorite two flavors in the world are eggnog and... a variation of Kentucky Derby Pie that uses pecans instead.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You start talking about egg nog, and we'll get back onto the topic of booze again.

As far as sweets, there is a confection known as Divinity, which is white chocolate and pecans. It is *SINFULLY* good.

vibur

Jul 29, 2019
I've got some Nawlins (New Orleans for the rest of you) blood in me, so there's nothing better than a crawfish boil on Christmas. One of the best things I've ever done. I'm gonna agree with you, ICountFrom0, that ham is the superior holiday meat. Turkey's overrated.
I am from New Orleans and lived here my entire life of 36 years. I have never once heard of a crawfish boil being done on Christmas. Probably because crawfish season is in the spring/early summer months.

Also, 'Nawlins' is a Hollywood thing and people here only say that to make fun of out-of-towners who use it seriously.

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
I am from New Orleans and lived here my entire life of 36 years. I have never once heard of a crawfish boil being done on Christmas. Probably because crawfish season is in the spring/early summer months.

Also, 'Nawlins' is a Hollywood thing and people here only say that to make fun of out-of-towners who use it seriously.

Yeah, it was crazy expensive but well worth it. I am an out-of-towner, but there's something about it I enjoy ;)

Spikednate12

Nov 14, 2012
Turkey smoked all day long, and or Holiday ham is usually what we have every year. I kinda prefer to alternate one the holiday's we have them and then flip them the next. Also this year we are having Italian beef made by both grandma's.......well yea. Two grandma's making one Italian beef? Your mouth basically explodes with heavenly awesomeness when you take a bite. Besides all the other usual things like corn, mashed potatoes, green beans, and stuff or such I can't really think of anything. Kinda big on traditional things the family can cook well. Minus specialty item's certain people can make upon request.

Lucius

Jul 29, 2019
Pizza 'cupcakes'? 'Holiday' ham? 'Italian' beef? Crawfish?
Well good grief it makes one glad to be british when seeing the amount of outright cheek in this time of traditional turkey. Just because you decided to create a party day for celebrating stealing land from Indians doesn't give you the right to shun turkey.

(yes I'm trolling bad :p)
Have a good christmas, my thanks to those who could afford to donate to Eloraam, I would if I could.
Personally I think the release date will be on christmas day (only my opinion) as this would be good news to those hardcore enough to be online that day, and lower the download strain as people come back to the web over boxing day and possibly even to new years. (that is supposing Eloraam finished updating in the next day or 2/3, not expecting to see her typing on the eve of EATING TURKEY! lol)

Reactions: Entropy

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Pizza 'cupcakes'? 'Holiday' ham? 'Italian' beef? Crawfish?
Well good grief it makes one glad to be british when seeing the amount of outright cheek in this time of traditional turkey. Just because you decided to create a party day for celebrating stealing land from Indians doesn't give you the right to shun turkey.

(yes I'm trolling bad :p)
Have a good christmas, my thanks to those who could afford to donate to Eloraam, I would if I could.
Personally I think the release date will be on christmas day (only my opinion) as this would be good news to those hardcore enough to be online that day, and lower the download strain as people come back to the web over boxing day and possibly even to new years. (that is supposing Eloraam finished updating in the next day or 2/3, not expecting to see her typing on the eve of EATING TURKEY! lol)
Heh you'd hate my christmas day lunch, cold pizza and bourbon usually in front of some crap DvD's and smoking a large cigar. My kids are with the ex-wife and her family for christmas day(my family does christmas eve) and I'm on my own so I do the slob bachelor thingy also it is open invite to any\all my mates that have had enough of their families\extended families, haven't had many take me up on it but have had a few drop in due being sick of MIL\FIL\aunties\uncles etc :D