Redpower 2 future in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Bwahahahaha! That is if it can be proven. You would be amazed at what people get away with.
Given that people have gotten out of terrible war crimes, I'm not really amazed.

Yes respect is a two way street so respect the fact she is a private person and stop pondering on updates.
'Kay. Of course this thread wouldn't be sixteen pages long if people didn't answer 'what's up will RP' with 'zomg why you terrible?' instead of 'nobody knows'.

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
Oh oh, right. I fully admit that the straw was actually a pretty big incentive. Now that the .obj renderer is in Forge, think you could make it a full on crazy straw with ambient occlusion, transparency, and no less than 5 colorful loops?
I think my artist will kill me if I ask for another model after the rednet controller. The UV on that thing is horrifying.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Why is the Minecraft modding community so dramatic... ugh. Seriously, if the FTB team is at the point where they're waiting only for RP2, I say drop the damn thing and continue on. Why is so much attention given to RedPower 2? Do people feel they owe Eloraam something? Well, they don't owe her a thing. People bitch that she doesn't show the community any attention. Well then, do the same and stop bringing up RedPower 2. There's tons of mods out there and you can find some that replace aspects or at least function similarly to features in RedPower 2. Powercrystals probably being one of my favorites atm.

Why must the Minecraft modding community be divided. Mod makers versus players. Why can't we all just be one big, happy, family. I get disgusted seeing tweets about mods supplying code to destroy worlds, and also with players who feel they have to send death threats to modders because they are "owed" an update. WTF is wrong with you people? I look at the modding community sometimes and just feel like not touching Minecraft anymore. Whenever I'm looking for updates to mods that I enjoy using, I have to scroll through pages of filth to find anything worthwhile. It's no wonder Eloraam doesn't post anything or doesn't interact with the community, it's a toxic wasteland. Luckily though, it's modders like King Lemming here that keep me playing. Besides providing a fantastic mod that is constantly being improved, he is in touch with the community. Thus, I use his mod without hesitation. (btw King, when will I have my Omniwrench back in 1.5.1? I miss it!)

We as a community can be better, and should be better. Mod authors have a life, don't expect them to answer every question you have. If you feel like they aren't giving you the attention you need, then stop using their mod. It's really that simple. We play Minecraft because we enjoy it, modders mod minecraft because they enjoy it. There's no reason we can't enjoy these things together. It's a game. Lets keep it a game.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
My bad. Lemme say this. I am a cynical, hate filled, mentally unstable person. I didn't mean any harm.

EDIT:
I still personally think that the modders should be supporting their families and earning a living with their skills. Yes that means no mods. People have lived without mods before and can do so again. This is why I have such loathing for the human race. Just base life forms that enjoy harming one another. So sad.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
But that is the thing. Lemme give an example.

"Okay Jim thank you for letting us use your Raynor Raiders mod. It will look good in our Mercenary pack."

"Welcome! Always glad to help out. Well I am going to head off to..."

"One thing. Since you are now in the pack here is a list of standard we have. One is we need weekly updates on your mod status. Two is you have two months after MC updates to update your mod. Three is bi weekly bug fixes."

"Hold on there. I have a full time job and a family. I work on the mod on Saturday nights and even then maybe twice a month due to my kid's sports activity."

"Well we have these standards so there won't be any complications when Mojang updates Minecraft."

"Well no thank you. I can't follow a timeline because I have other things first, I guess I have to ask you not to use my mod."

"That is too bad."

Is this what people want? Yeah the wording can be different but this should be a common view point.

Yes, I suspect that is in fact what people want. And that's not really unreasonable considering (a) that the modpacks already have standards for what gets included and (b) other mod-makers don't seem to have trouble meeting that standard.

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
I personally think FTB should just fork the pack. One pack will have RP and update if/when it occurs, and a pack that drops it and updates accordingly. RP is so controversial as far as mods goes that nothing else seems to come even close.

Reactions: Laguy

Laguy

Jul 29, 2019
I personally think FTB should just fork the pack. One pack will have RP and update if/when it occurs, and a pack that drops it and updates accordingly. RP is so controversial as far as mods goes that nothing else seems to come even close.
Not a bad idea, I guess the issue would be what happens in the future if one of the other big mods decided not to update for whatever reason? I appreciate your constructive suggestion kutchkc. Maybe there is some variation of this plan that would work or it just needs to get flushed out further.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
And this drama is exactly why Elo hides.

Saw a lot of this same kind of pointless back and forth in the Technic forums, before I got away from minecraft for a while. Kinda sad.

RP2 has become such a part of the technical and industrial side of Minecraft it tends to be everywhere. It is a great mod, but people tend to be blind to the problems. It has been around for a year and a half now, and the author herself still calls it a pre-release. There has been exactly four updates to the mod in the past year, and two of those were bug fixes. There a bugs that haven't been fixed forever, there is little to no integration with other mods, no public Redpower API I know of, and Elo actively discourages interfacing with her mod in any way. The mod author has always been reclusive, and has gotten more so as time goes by, to the point even her testers and friends have lost touch.

If you ignore the name, would you use any other mod that had a history? Would you use any other mod that caused this much drama simply by existing?

I think it is time FTB got away from the drama. Fork the packs. "Here, for those that want to keep RP2, these packs will stay in 1.4.7, forever. For the rest of us, starting from 1.5.1, these new packs no longer contain RP2, nor will they ever." Gets away from the drama, yet still allows those who want to keep RP2 to do so. Best solution, I think.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Is it really that big of a deal if Elo doesn't want to have other mod interfaceing? Does she need to put out an API? No to both of these. As for your questions yes I would as if the mod was good. It is knowing the makers. Example, I know first generation of Sony Playstations are always buggy so I want six months for things to be fixed. Simple.

Forking works but one small problem. Say a group, Mindcrack, Yogs, Chaosville, weebaloos play a certain pack. They like that pack and like all the mods. They are willing to wait and keep the modpack set at a certain patch. Fans grow accustomed so it stays. Does a small minority then whom want a newer update get it over the majority?

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
That is why forking the pack works. The pack gets split. The ones who want to wait gets one pack, the ones who want an update get the other. Everyone wins, no one is forced to do anything.

As far as an API goes, it is sort of a big deal. GregTech comes to mind. Or even Modular Power Suits, which offers integration into TE, BC, and IC2. Extra Bees, Thaumic Bees. Hell, even Forestry itself wouldn't exist if BC didn't allow other mods to integrate with it. Redpower is virtually the only holdout here.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Again how is that an issue? Maybe I am the oddball but with all the work she put into it or any mod author shouldn't they simply say "Nope. All my stuff stays with me."? And the problem with forking is if the main group that enjoys the pack sticks with a lower patch then you get what happened with the Yogs Tekkit series. So much passed that they were a tad clueless in more modern settings.

Let us not forget that it is up to say Mindcrack if they update. Same with Yogs and Dire. Why fork a pack if the people who get a lot of say what goes into said pack say other wise?

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Remember that time when your sig said that if the world didn't conform to your standards you'd be mean to them? I do! It's like ironic and hipster now. Well done!
I think it was something along the lines of I won't be nice to those who deserve no niceties.. Maybe you think what I wrote and what I meant were two different things, because I certainly didn't try to impose some set of standards on anyone.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I fail to have any sympathy for anyone who gets left behind because of a blind adherence to a mod whose time has passed. Minecraft modding is constantly growing, shifting, and evolving. If you want to stay behind, that is your choice, but the consequences are on your head, not mine. There is a lot of content out there, hundreds of mods, and new content is being created daily. Missing out on that just because you can't or won't change, well, that just seems a little sad to me.

RP2 was created in an entirely different era of Minecraft modding. Things have changed radically since, RP2 has not. There is nothing wrong with that, Elo can do whatever she wants with her mod. I just think it is long past time to stop being tied to a mod that hasn't really changed in the year and a half of its existence. I'm not singling RP2 out. I feel just as strongly about IC2, which has done nothing really new in a year, and BuildCraft.

Please note I'm not demanding anything from the mod makers. People keep making that assumption. I am just exercising my right to choose. I'm using the 1.5.1 update to do new things, stuff I haven't done before. Exploring more dimensions with DivineRPG, playing with magic with Ars Magica, traveling to outer space with Galacticraft, creating an Ironman suit with Modular Powersuits. That is what is fun for me.

If staying behind in 1.4.7 and using the same mods you've always used is fun for you, that is your choice. More power to you.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Is it really that big of a deal if Elo doesn't want to have other mod interfaceing?
Yes. How do you put items to Forestry multifarm using tubes?
"This goes from top, this from bottom, this from left, this from right. Oh, no. This from west, and this from east."
How do you put stuff into multifarm using AE or BC pipe?
"Make a hatch and stick a pipe or export bus to it".

That's exactly the reason why RedPower needs integration with other mods. What's the point of "clever" tubes, if you can't use them properly?

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I fail to have any sympathy for anyone who gets left behind because of a blind adherence to a mod whose time has passed. Minecraft modding is constantly growing, shifting, and evolving. If you want to stay behind, that is your choice, but the consequences are on your head, not mine. There is a lot of content out there, hundreds of mods, and new content is being created daily. Missing out on that just because you can't or won't change, well, that just seems a little sad to me.

RP2 was created in an entirely different era of Minecraft modding. Things have changed radically since, RP2 has not. There is nothing wrong with that, Elo can do whatever she wants with her mod. I just think it is long past time to stop being tied to a mod that hasn't really changed in the year and a half of its existence. I'm not singling RP2 out. I feel just as strongly about IC2, which has done nothing really new in a year, and BuildCraft.
I have to agree and disagree to you. RedPower is evolving, but VERY slowly. And it IS hard to replace it. It is not the mod that gives you an aim, it is the mod that gives you instruments to reach the aim. That's why losing it is so painful.
About BC and IC, I have to say that their power networks - are the things that glue a lot of mods together. Most convinient machines (TE) are buildcraft-powered and buildcraft-compatible. The coolest power generators are for buildcraft and IC (boilers!) Best liquid-transport also buildcraft-based (liquiducts). Take buildcraft away -and all is ruined.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I have to agree and disagree to you. RedPower is evolving, but VERY slowly. And it IS hard to replace it. It is not the mod that gives you an aim, it is the mod that gives you instruments to reach the aim. That's why losing it is so painful.
About BC and IC, I have to say that their power networks - are the things that glue a lot of mods together. Most convinient machines (TE) are buildcraft-powered and buildcraft-compatible. The coolest power generators are for buildcraft and IC (boilers!) Best liquid-transport also buildcraft-based (liquiducts). Take buildcraft away -and all is ruined.
Actually I asked, TE isn't reliant on BC, it can stand alone. As can Forestry and Railcraft. The item transport pipes are hard to replace, but Applied Energistics can get the job done. I will have to do things quite a bit differently, but that is just fine. I've spent a year doing the same things, and it has grown stale.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure, that it can be used standalone? But anyways, we also have Forestry which uses BC power.
Maybe Buildcraft itself is not that important (however, many people use quarry), but it was the mod that made Forestry, TE and Railcraft power systems possible. And IC has been revived by GregTech

Status
Not open for further replies.