Redpower 2 future in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
I have donated to a mod author or two in the past. In no way whatsoever do I expect anything from them. I made a DONATION to them. I did not make a PURCHASE from them.

Reactions: RetroGamer1224

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that would be a big issue for me personally, although I'm not seeing anyone else mention it, is the issue of migrating a world from 1.4.7 packs to 1.5.1.

TLDR: I don't want to lose RP2 not because I'm married to that mod, but because I want the modpack to be stable enough to let me keep the same world. Also, I don't see any replacements for frames.

I guess I have to repeat myself:

If FTB updates without Redpower, some people will update without issue, others will refuse to update and still others will have to make new worlds.

If FTP doesn't update, nobody updates.

Also: Ugocraft for frames.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I just wanna make a quick analogy here. I'm a musician. So say I'm starting off. I put my music out there. I start a KickStarter ( or any other type of donation) and I get some donations. The people assume that by giving me donations I will spend more time on the music. When a local record company or whatever asks me if I want to be featured on a compilation disk they're doing for local musicians I say yes. When they go to make a Vol.2 and I don't have new music and I don't tell anyone. I'm not only disrespecting the people who donated they're money and time to me, i'm also disrespecting the people who privileged me to be on a compilation disk. I'm being rude,selfish and downright stupid. And by doing that, if it would be perfectly in reason for the record company to drop me and for the donators to no longer listen to my music. Now replace every "music" with "RP2" and every "record company" with "FTB.
Makes sense? No?
For the most part I get what you are saying. But there is still one MAJOR reason why redpower should not be dropped, despite all the problems its caused it is just simply an amazing mod. It is my favorite mod by far. You can't deny that the functionality it adds is worth getting rid of because of all the other stupid issues. Without it automation of many things wouldn't be possible. Not to mention we would lose lots of cool designs, like frame doors and elevators. Not to mention all of the aesthetic stuff like microblocks. I cant imagine using computers without bundled . Speaking of computers, eloraam's are greatly underrated, those things are awesome. I don't see the point of playing tech mods without redpower

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
You know..for all the people saying such and such mod does better. Write one yourselves. Then open source it and skip along happily.

I don't understand your point here. If it's that we should create a better alternative, well yeah, those exist, that's the point of people asking if we ought to use those alternatives instead. If it's that we would have a different perspective on mod "ownership" and the benefits of letting other people work on our code, that's just wrong. I've worked on several projects where I had to bow out due to more pressing concerns. If I wanted the project to succeed, handing my duties off to someone else was the always the best approach.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Spot on Doc. I never said anything about not installing RP. It is freedom of choice! I brought up programming because someone made mention of one shouldn't need to know programming to give an opinion.

Btw if you are a musician. A local record company hears of you, probably due to you already have written something and played it, ask you to be on a record. You agree. More then likely youmay get some form of payment for your time and services. So if you don't make music and vanish..no loss other then finding a new musician. You do a kickstarter..so the people should know that it is a donation. By no means a signed contract saying anything, just good faith.

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I have to repeat myself:

If FTB updates without Redpower, some people will update without issue, others will refuse to update and still others will have to make new worlds.

If FTP doesn't update, nobody updates.

Also: Ugocraft for frames.

I just want to correct that to:
"If FTB updates without redpower, virtually everyone will have to make new worlds." I think most players use RP2 tubes and frames extensively (although I'll admit that's technically just speculation, I don't have any evidence to back it up besides seeing let's plays and forum posts).

Also: Ugocraft isn't a good example, after some google searching I find it's behind RP2 on updates, being still on 1.4.5 as far as I see. [another link]. Even if it were, it only has some functionality of frames (doors and aesthetic touches), it does not allow for mounting other modded items or free motion to build airships, quarries, or tunnel bores, as far as I know (admittedly I never played it, just saw some videos on it before, so correct me if I'm wrong on this point).

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
But there are plenty of other mods that are arguably better. Also, what you're saying is an opinion. I personally do not like RP2. Like I said, there are a lot of mods that do what her mod does better in some cases. Regardless, it does't matter how good a mod is if it doesn't update enough. Look at Tekkit. It's a mod compilation yea. But it can be related to this. When it was up to date it was great, now there's better things out there like FTB that are updated. But if FTB doesn't update because RP2 doesn't then FTB will just fall into the abyss of un-updated mod packs.

Also, my world wouldn't really be affected by RP2 being dropped. Yea, a few pneumatic tubes would be missing and there would be holes where there used to be basalt and marble but there's already programs that can fix that.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
-_- Don't tell me you honestly believe that FTB could stay alive off the Magic Pack, Slow's Stream and RPG Immersion and Ampz? Yes they're used, by they most likely account for a TINY portion of the player base. If Ultimate,Dw20 and Mindcrack were stuck on 1.4.7 while MC keeps going onto 1.6,1.7 then FTB would die.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
-_- Don't tell me you honestly believe that FTB could stay alive off the Magic Pack, Slow's Stream and RPG Immersion and Ampz? Yes they're used, by they most likely account for a TINY portion of the player base. If Ultimate,Dw20 and Mindcrack were stuck on 1.4.7 while MC keeps going onto 1.6,1.7 then FTB would die.
Tekkit was on 1.2.5 for a long time. They're still around.

Reactions: RetroGamer1224

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
You forget Yogs which has a big fan base. Also, I believe someone brought this up, Mindcrack team decided on their pack as well as Direwolf for his. Sooo only ultimate. I don't think, my opinion, that FTB would die from anything. People are also really liking UE so that will be around for a while.

EDIT: Also how many people say. "I liked alpha generation. Or beta 1.7. Even mods have been made for that. Again the beauty of MC is to pick as you wish. Don't want the wither, feel free. Mojang got the money when you bought the same so they are happy.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh good point. I did forget Yogs. Forgive me. And yes Tekkit is still around and while it is actually doing very well as of recently, without the technic platform, the base Tekkit mod packs are WAY behind. Also, what do you mean Mindcrack and DW have decided on their pack? They will be staying behind for RP2?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I just want to correct that to:
"If FTB updates without redpower, virtually everyone will have to make new worlds."

No.

Even if they used only RP tubes throughout the entire world, it could all disappear beneath them and not require a new world. Unless they want one. Whats the difference between a world you've been playing where the automation disappears, and a whole new world? Your buildings are still there and you have a lot of stuff.

And replacing the few building blocks that are in RP would be the easiest thing to change over.

There is nothing game breaking about having RP disappear. There is no forced new world.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Yes of course. And I do feel that DW will stay being for RP2 considering they're friends. But the overall mod pack should move on. Ultimate should move on as well as Mindcrack.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Yes of course. And I do feel that DW will stay being for RP2 considering they're friends. But the overall mod pack should move on. Ultimate should move on as well as Mindcrack.
I'm not so sure. Direwolf seems to have his nose far up Soaryns ass. I would imagine he'd like to play around with new stuff that gets released in Xycraft.

Jul 29, 2019
There is nothing game breaking about having RP disappear. There is no forced new world.

You may be technically correct that one could manage to port their world. I am not saying it's impossible, but that it would be very difficult if you've used RP frames, tubes, and microblocks extensively. And I do consider losing my entire mining system, much of my ore processing system, all of my redstone systems, and siginificant parts of my buildings to be "game breaking." I'd basically be starting over even if I kept the same map, or I'd have to make it a hybrid creative / survival world and cheat in replacements for all the items I lost. I don't think I'm alone being in this position.

Ultimate just came out, and we're already talking about changing a fundamental mod for it. If the modpack will be this fluid so I have to keep remaking or altering my worlds, I'm not going to want to keep using it, and I think others may feel the same way.

Also, I'm not sure why we're having this discussion now, since Elorram has tweeted back in Feb that she's updating (quoted here). I'm just trying to make the point we shouldn't be rushing to dump RP2 yet, if it's been months and FTB is way behind soley because of RP2, then it's worth having a debate on the subject.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Overall, yea the debate is useless for now. It becomes a problem when it's the last mod that needs to be updated and she's 3-4 months behind.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Overall, yea the debate is useless for now. It becomes a problem when it's the last mod that needs to be updated and she's 3-4 months behind.
Exactly. There are still plenty of other mods to wait for. Save the doomsaying till RP2 is the last one left.

Reactions: Bagman817
Status
Not open for further replies.