Redpower 2 future in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
If you can't accept that, why don't you make your own mod and replace RP2? Or why not boycott RP2 by not playing with it? Or why not disable it from your server?

What do you think getting it removed from FTB so that FTB can update is, other than a boycott?

Whiners are all bark and no bite. If you think you can do a better job than Elo, I challenge you to do so.

I was actually in the planning stage for a tube mod with real smart networking, not this very very non-smart method that RP uses. Then I was introduced to AE...and screw that noise. AE already takes RP tubes out back, beats them senseless, and pisses on them while they're passed out.

And that's without AE even trying. AE still has some holes in its functionality, but they're filled better and less lag inducing by infinitubes than by RP.

Reactions: Zexks

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
RetroGamer - well then you should understand why people get so upset that she hasn't been heard from. RP2 is a big mod, and if everything else gets updated except for that, it would be a huge problem for the packs that use it. Nobody is saying she doesn't have a legitimate reason for not being in touch - she may have. But that doesn't change the fact that there is a need for her to give us an answer as to the status of the mod.

jumpfight - there's a huge flaw in that plan - what if Elo IS working on updating RP2? Then whoever codes a replacement is just reinventing the wheel. Without hearing from her, nobody knows if a replacement *should* even be made. That's where the problem lies.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
She doesn't need to give us, the users, a damn thing. If anything she could talk to other modders or modpack makers but there is no "need" for her to do jack squat.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, chillax and eat some pretzels. Maybe she literally is so hard at work coding new features..

Or maybe she died!

"Would you like a pretzel? Try one, they're really good."

Ooo. I have to hit up the store. Maybe I will pick up some pretzels while I'm there :D

If she died, I would be sad. Death is sad, and I'm sure she would be missed.

On a slightly more serious note - that's exactly why I advocate setting time limits on when a mod needs to be updated by and regular communication from the authors. [Insert deity(ies) here] forbid, but if a mod author dies and no one hears about it, then packs will be forced to drop a mod or wait indefinitely. Setting time restraints prevents that situation ever happening.

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
I was actually in the planning stage for a tube mod with real smart networking, not this very very non-smart method that RP uses. Then I was introduced to AE...and screw that noise. AE already takes RP tubes out back, beats them senseless, and pisses on them while they're passed out.

I don't think AE is that mean. I always thought AE as a rather kind sorting system. It'd gentlemanly take him out to the shed, convert RPtubes into energy then delete that storage disc, and then buries it.

Also, have you ever though Matter-Energy and Energy-Matter-Currency. Two mods running on the same basic idea of energy and matter. Cool, isn't it.

(they're both considered OP somtimes. too.)

Reactions: ApSciLiara

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
She doesn't need to give us, the users, a damn thing. If anything she could talk to other modders or modpack makers but there is no "need" for her to do jack squat.

That's not true. She has a responsibility to the modpack makers *if she wants her mod to still be included* Other than that, no, you're correct and she doesn't need to do squat. She doesn't get paid for this. No one disagrees with that.

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
Ooo. I have to hit up the store. Maybe I will pick up some pretzels while I'm there :D

If she died, I would be sad. Death is sad, and I'm sure she would be missed.

On a slightly more serious note - that's exactly why I advocate setting time limits on when a mod needs to be updated by and regular communication from the authors. [Insert deity(ies) here] forbid, but if a mod author dies and no one hears about it, then packs will be forced to drop a mod or wait indefinitely. Setting time restraints prevents that situation ever happening.

No, no time restraints. If FTB did that it would have a worse image than Tekkit.

I mean, we could ask of them, but no.

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
We're not saying that the mod authors don't have real lives. In fact, look and you'll see I've said the exact opposite quite a few times. What we are saying is that it is unfair to the other mod developers to be kept waiting on a mod in a pack to be updated if the rest of the mods are ready.

There is no obligation? You're right. And FTB isn't obligated to keep the mod in their pack either. It works both ways. Remember that. If you want your mod in FTB, then you need to update and support it. If you don't want to update and support it, then it's the FTB teams right to remove it. Plain and simple.

Sorry, TL;DR the entire thread. I just wanted to post my opinion about the topic. Too many whiners. ~_~

Coming from the mindset of a dev (because I'm a dev myself), do you think it matters to me if a mod pack takes a while to update, just because other mods are not ready?

If I were building a mod that's an extension of IC2 or BC, it matters. Because my code depends on them.

But for most of the mods, you can play with them as is. You don't need a mod pack to play with the mods.

Mod packs are just a convenient way to play with them without going thru the hassle, especially if you're not technical enough to mess with the Minecraft jars.

Also, I think you got the whole concept of the FTB modpack wrong. You are right about the FTB team's prerogative to remove a mod if it's not updated. But mod devs don't ask the FTB team to include their mods into the various mod packs. It's the reverse: you ask permission from the mod dev to have their mod included into FTB. That concept only works if you are trying to sell a product.

In the end, no one's stopping people from installing the mod directly from the source, or from playing with an outdated mod.

Ok, I've said my piece. My chest feels lighter now.

I leave you pips with this message:

UseTheForceHarryGandalf.jpg

**Drinks Invisibility Potion**

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
So you're saying that you expect Elo to do nothing at all? You have no expectations of her? She owes us one thing. Any sort of update verbally. That is my opinion the only thing she owes us. Does the owner of a company not owe stock owners an update on the company?

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
So you're saying that you expect Elo to do nothing at all? You have no expectations of her? She owes us one thing. Any sort of update verbally. That is my opinion the only thing she owes us. Does the owner of a company not owe stock owners an update on the company?

You, my good man, are one good example of a WHINER who doesn't GET IT!

Do you even pay Elo to do this stuff?

Please do not even try to compare Minecraft Modding to a corporation.

It's people like you who make devs feel bad towards talking to the community.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019

I've always loved that picture. Haha.

I disagree, though. It is a two way street. There are benefits to the author to have their mod included in FTB - exposure. If they want the benefit of having their mod in FTB, then they have certain responsibilities to the FTB team to keep them updated on the status of the mod. If they don't care about being included in FTB, then yes, I totally agree, they don't have to do squat, including keep the FTB team aware of what's going on. There is a give and take there, though.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Technician is correct. Think about it. You are a mod maker. You can only put work into it maybe on Sundays. Rest of the week you have obligations. You would like your mod to be in a mod pack but they tell you a time table. You know you can't fit in it because of life. So you let your mod stop because why bother.

Also she doesn't have responsibility to modpack makers. Why they hell would she. That is pretty crazy seeing how, as you said, a modpack maker can use a bunch of other mods to do what one does. That being the case she doesn't have diddly to respect. Besides it is personal and based on friendship and respect amongst the mod makers. There will be disagreements but by no means is there responsibility.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
I think you misunderstand what I mean by responsibility - she has a responsibility if she wants her mod to be included in FTB. If she doesn't care, well then, no, she doesn't have a responsibility to do anything at all. She won't have to update the mod, tell anybody anything about the mod, nothing. But that's not what we're discussing.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I think Dlord hit it. No she doesn't have any responsibility to FTB. FTB asks the mod authors not the other way around. Again i assume they know she puts out quality stuff so they wait or someone is in contact with her. But she ca update RP and just have it on her blog.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
I think Dlord hit it. No she doesn't have any responsibility to FTB. FTB asks the mod authors not the other way around. Again i assume they know she puts out quality stuff so they wait or someone is in contact with her. But she ca update RP and just have it on her blog.

If she didn't want her mod included in FTB, then she would have said no. So she obviously okayed it being in FTB. As such, that gives her a responsibility to keep FTB updated to the status of the mod. Unless she doesn't care anymore. But we won't know that until she actually gets in touch with someone, which has been the whole point from the very beginning.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
And you don't know if she has already. She made a tweet in Feb. Said she was working on RP again. Seeing how hard 1.5.1 has been for some modders maybe she is having an issue too. She has told those whom need to know. Deal with it.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
Good god, can we get this thread locked for derailment and general flaming.

This is up to SLOWPOKE and the rest of the FTB TEAM. since slow and dire are friends with Elo and might even have her number, they are the only ones who have ANY status of the mod.. honestly I don't think enough are ready yet to care. (TEST BUILDS DO NOT COUNT, there are normaly bugs)

To the example that used Anti-Virus, actually the one I use, avast actually wants complaints when it's free users get infected.

To the one who mentioned paying Elo for the mod.. I did that last time, via the donate button at the bottom of her post on MCF, have you?

In the mean time, why don't we do something more productive with our time, since you don't want to be playing Minecraft. and watch this: http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/badgers/

(my PC has bad RAM right now, so I can't play MC /sad)

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: GOT REALLY ANNOYED AT THE ONE WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THIS SIMPLE CONCEPT:

Please, DO NOT CONFUSE DONATING WITH PAYING. PAYING means that you are exchanging money for goods/services. DONATING is when you give money away without anything in return.

When you PAY, the seller is obliged to provide a good/service on time with good quality.

When you DONATE, there is no obligation. YOU are giving money for FREE. Nothing is expected in return.

+1 on locking this thread, as obviously some people don't really get the point of it all.

We all have something better to do with our lives. And complaining is not going to help anyone, nor will it get any results.

Status
Not open for further replies.