Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
That's correct Minecraft sold about 16 milion copies modding community consists of probably no more than 1 milion players.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
Huh? The vast majority of Minecraft players are not interested in mods, many even consider them to be cheating.

the last part not sure about but the first part is true. for proof look at the 360 version, 12 million sales in 3 years.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I mean, I see your perspective, but i also understand why mojang would have clauses such as these in their ToS. If they didn't, people being as clever as they are would find ways to make money off of mojang's IP.

Heck, i just looked up the wording of that section of their EULA, and I'm surprised they even allow you guys get donations.

As for copyrighting code, in their eyes there is no need to because of this passage

This doesn't give you any legal recourse like a copyright would, but at least you can get offending content removed.

and to let modders copyright could cause problems with this clause

So to me it's understandable why copyrighting, closed source and such are frowned upon by mojang. If people could do things like that, they may not be able to assimilate content that originally was a mod. Mojang would have to negotiate deals with individual modders in order to use their IP, which would be silly from a business standpoint; it is their game.

The last sentence is what I assume gives most people pause, but I don't think it should. This, combined with the above quotation basically translates to "You can copy, modify, or adapt a mod released by somebody else but may not release it"
So I am just going to respond to the donation part. You are donating to them as a coder not a specific work. Even if it is for a specific work it is donated to the coder. So basically you are saying I am a fan of your work and support you, take X amount of money for your efforts. If Mojang doesn't like this they can ask you to stop but they cannot take any legal action.
The only illegal thing you can do is charge people for your mod.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
+1
One of my friends actually HAS this point of view.
It does not stop there, either. Name any gameplay aspect you like and you will find someone calling it cheating. Redstone. Armor. Potions. Making a house.

I also strongly question the motives (and sanity) of someone complaining about people cheating in a singleplayer sandbox game.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
It does not stop there, either. Name any gameplay aspect you like and you will find someone calling it cheating. Redstone. Armor. Potions. Making a house.

I also strongly question the motives (and sanity) of someone complaining about people cheating in a singleplayer sandbox game.
Please tell me you can provide an example of the latter.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019

I play multiplayer far more often than single player. balance and "cheaty" mods matter more to me since SSP is secondary.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019

Crazy is as crazy does. For example, there was a XKCD comic on Rockband. "Guys, this is nothing like actually being in a band. Guys? STOP HAVING FUN!" Same mentality, different game. Just a evolved version of the old saying, Same Shit, Different Day.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Crazy is as crazy does. For example, there was a XKCD comic on Rockband. "Guys, this is nothing like actually being in a band. Guys? STOP HAVING FUN!" Same mentality, different game. Just a evolved version of the old saying, Same Shit, Different Day.
Elitism, you mean? Yeah. I've heard that Rock Band/Guitar Hero argument so many times it hurts; then they go "I play a REAL guitar."

Now, me, I play about six different instruments and I'm qualified to teach one. My ex (and still very close friend) is a career musician who will blow almost anyone out of the water. I love the guitar games. She loves the guitar games. And we will never get that attitude, because it's not meant to be "playing a real guitar".

Same goes for Minecraft. I won't repeat what I detailed about my friends who play earlier, but we all enjoy the game in different ways, and that's totally awesome.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Elitism, you mean? Yeah. I've heard that Rock Band/Guitar Hero argument so many times it hurts; then they go "I play a REAL guitar."

Now, me, I play about six different instruments and I'm qualified to teach one. My ex (and still very close friend) is a career musician who will blow almost anyone out of the water. I love the guitar games. She loves the guitar games. And we will never get that attitude, because it's not meant to be "playing a real guitar".

Same goes for Minecraft. I won't repeat what I detailed about my friends who play earlier, but we all enjoy the game in different ways, and that's totally awesome.

Elitism and the whole "I don't find this fun and I won't let you enjoy it either" douchebag mentality, yes. And well put. Funny, you don't hear many people playing Kerbal Space Program saying it's nothing like actually going to space and other planets, and almost no one isn't having a good time.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019

I get this. I have heard my fair share of "Steve can punch trees, MC isn't realistic!!!1!!1111". MC isn't SUPPOSED to be realistic, think for a second. You're in a game where the world is made out of blocks, there are exploding green things, and there are taigas next to deserts. I would be amazed if MC WAS realistic.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Funny, you don't hear many people playing Kerbal Space Program saying it's nothing like actually going to space and other planets, and almost no one isn't having a good time.
Kinda wish you did. It takes a very specific sort of mind to be THAT obtuse and it's funny to watch.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
My main problem with arguments of "OP" in MC: It's a sandbox game, so everyone has their own idea of balance, their preferred cost/benefit ratios being different. Thus, there is no 'official' balance, and everyone tosses around their own idea of balance, attempting to enforce it.