Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
This came up in the update thread and I though some discussion may be worthwhile.
If I remember correctly, the rule of thumb that a lot of people follow if they put out public alphas is that they can be experimented in creative test worlds (disposable), but beta are the first release that can be tested in survival world (also disposable, not LP worlds). Release candidates are those which can be thrown into a world that you care about without too much trouble.
Yes as vapourdrive mods are in alpha when they are creative mode only and beta when there is survival functionality and when they are out of beta you should have no risk of corruption.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Moving this here since I don't want to clutter up the update thread:
Ya I guess but that still doesn't detract from the 3d texture pack awesomeness.[DOUBLEPOST=1400461707][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes but from a mod maker perspective with the 3d textures I can just implement them to my mod off the bat and not have to do any complicated proxy things. You will see a lot more 3d textures in mods I guarantee it.

Congrats, you can use 3D textures easier. But you still have to work around far too many bugs that Mojang isn't fixing. And that list of bugs is growing, not shrinking. As a player, I don't care about 3D textures. I care about stability and playability. If I wanted fancy graphics, I would go play a different game, like Crysis. MC is not a game you play for graphics.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019

Congrats, you can use 3D textures easier. But you still have to work around far too many bugs that Mojang isn't fixing. And that list of bugs is growing, not shrinking. As a player, I don't care about 3D textures. I care about stability and playability. If I wanted fancy graphics, I would go play a different game, like Crysis. MC is not a game you play for graphics.
You will never understand *stares. :p
No so think of it this way. I as a modder want to implement some cool 3d pickaxe or some special cool looking machine (like the ones found in mekanism). I am immediately turned off from doing so because of all the hard work and modeling. Well now this becomes 100x easier. How bland do you think the game would be if it was all blocks. No cool looking blood alter, no awesome Forestry thimgs no cool mekanism machines and no decent looking pipes, NONE. Also you can't forget that all the armor would look exactly the same. I think you are thinking just in the scope of blocks but think about everything that is different. Pretty much everything in thuamcraft. No mobs. This broadens a lot of modders horizons.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You will never understand *stares. :p
No so think of it this way. I as a modder want to implement some cool 3d pickaxe or some special cool looking machine (like the ones found in mekanism). I am immediately turned off from doing so because of all the hard work and modeling. Well now this becomes 100x easier. How bland do you think the game would be if it was all blocks. No cool looking blood alter, no awesome Forestry thimgs no cool mekanism machines and no decent looking pipes, NONE. Also you can't forget that all the armor would look exactly the same. I think you are thinking just in the scope of blocks but think about everything that is different. Pretty much everything in thuamcraft. No mobs. This broadens a lot of modders horizons.

Congrats, you can use 3D textures easier. But again, the game is not stable, and with the constant updates it's getting worse. I will take stability over different textures and models any day.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Congrats, you can use 3D textures easier. But again, the game is not stable, and with the constant updates it's getting worse. I will take stability over different textures and models any day.
Honestly I don't care as long as they get fixed in the end. But Mojang should try to release stable bug free versions.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
I find the game to be very stable. Then again, I'm not dumping a million redstone updates per tick into my low-end laptop with its low-end Intel GPU.

Look, the list of bugs that gets fixed each update is still pretty large overall. If it takes a few revisions per major version to clean up bugs, should I complain too much? But maybe I'm used to a different sort of release cycle for a game I paid $25 for a few years ago.

The problem is that nobody wants an update without content! But Mojang doesn't have a lot of new content per update; that's mostly going into Scrolls. So they space out what they have and spend a lot of time considering what they can use. No matter what happens, someone is going to complain. Do you give most of the would-be complainers something decent to play with; or do you give them nothing visible to handle and ogle, and let them howl all the louder? I'd love for Mojang to focus an entire update on restructuring the whole game, but the longer you go without an update, the slower sales will get as people start to wonder if the game is done updating at all: the longer between updates, the more vanilla players are going to put it down and do something else. So timing updates is also about making sure that Minecraft doesn't lose momentum with its players.

Mods, Let's plays, and other such things are third-party content. They can help keep enthusiasm up for the game, but in the end, it's up to the players to play it. New features, regular releases, and other things that say that the studio is still supporting the game mean that social momentum stays high enough to justify the cost. Otherwise Mojang has to coast and build something else. Of course, Notch is still working on his project(s), and I'm pretty sure where he goes eventually Mojang will go. Until then, I'm happy to see that at least some of the old bugs are being fixed.

I hope 1.8 is actually stable. The record says 1.8.2 will be. And behind the scenes, a few more bits and pieces of the plugin/mod API will be put in place.

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
i am expecting the plugin/mod API in 2.0(dont care, i like 2.0 more than 1.10)
I can't say I'm expecting it, becuase I haven't heard too much about it but honestly I'm scared for it. If mojang adds their own API for mods then I'm afraid what might happen to FTB. I don't want FTB to become not worth the time, I'm just not excited about the mod API idea

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019

Can I restate your post slightly?

I think MC is totally a game you play for graphics, particularly modded. I spend a lot of time and effort making my base look really pretty.

I don't think it's a game you play for high-tech realistic graphics (although some of the terrain gen, seen as a panorama, would argue against even that.)

I agree with you otherwise. Bug fixes should be first, and I feel Mojang releases have been lackluster lately. I installed 1.7 Vanilla when it first came out, just to see the changes, and having been a modded player as long as I have been, I was pretty unimpressed. I have a single mod that adds over 80 biomes. I have two mods which, combined, add close to 100 trees. I've had stained glass since forever.

I'm glad that they want to add more content, but calling it "the update that changed the world" is facetious, and shows a serious lack of effort and imagination; two new trees? DOUBLE the amount of Vanilla biomes? Much wow. So update. It fails to impress somehow when I know many mods being made by a single person are able to add far more stuff in a far shorter time.

Mojang finally got the right idea with horses; they brought DrZhark of MoCreatures in on the development, credited him for it and incorporated a previously mod-only feature. Total development time on their end, negligible.

So instead of spending all that time to add two new trees to the game, go to Sengir. Go to Binnie. Go to the BoP team. Say "we want to add six new types of trees to the core game, here are the ones we'd like, we'll happily credit you and maybe give you a few bucks." They could develop an entire content pack in record time by asking for the help of people who are doing the job for free anyway and have their dev team's time entirely dedicated to bug-killing; and it's not like Mojang can't afford to toss a few bucks in the direction of the people who are keeping their game so popular as it stands; their net profit last year was in the neighbourhood of $125 million.

Swinging back around to the point, I think that the 3D textures thing is actually a very good change from their perspective, since it makes things easier on modders, but I also think that Mojang is looking at things from the wrong way around. Heck, hire a team of the best modders around today and ask them to tidy up, bugfix and add an API to the core code. Pay the top names in modding for their time fixing your code. That is how to see fast, effective results.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I can't say I'm expecting it, becuase I haven't heard too much about it but honestly I'm scared for it. If mojang adds their own API for mods then I'm afraid what might happen to FTB. I don't want FTB to become not worth the time, I'm just not excited about the mod API idea
Let's not forget a developer of minecraft works on this and was once a modder himself and he has no intention of letting it die off. He was one of the makers of modjam and continues it.

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know Mojang has no intentions of a Mod API anymore. Only the Plugin API. But they have to completely overhaul all the code in MC since it was never designed for anything like plugins (or mods obviously). This is what 1.7 & 1.8 is for.

arthahar

Oct 31, 2012
As far as I know Mojang has no intentions of a Mod API anymore. Only the Plugin API. But they have to completely overhaul all the code in MC since it was never designed for anything like plugins (or mods obviously). This is what 1.7 & 1.8 is for.
As i undestand Plugin is just alt. name mod stricted to API in Mojang's terms. So not big different.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Imagine the nerdgasms if they brought KL in to clean up some code.

Though with Searge on the team, maybe that mod api is getting closer?
I doubt it, not after that blow out on twitter... Aswell as the statement from notch against mods.. I believe it was something like "If it's to protect players, then yes I'm against mods." Good intentions... Poor way of showing them.

Mods aren't the danm devil... And calling modders lazy isn't exactly fair. Sure better ways may exist, but how many of these modders are self taught, or self teaching, learning on the fly? you're a god danm company with teams. You insult your modded user base calling them.... Just no. Mojang and modding, are probably never going to get along... Not with it's close minded employee's. Don't insult the ones that cover your behind making a modding api for players to use while you make excuses saying you'll make something a little bit clearer later... If you want someone to use your instances, make it more user friendly. If you want something better than forge, make it rather than complain about it, and saying you could... And keep it up to date with every vanilla push you make on top of that.

Modding api will probably happen the day after hell hath frozen over.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt it, not after that blow out on twitter... Aswell as the statement from notch against mods.. I believe it was something like "If it's to protect players, then yes I'm against mods." Good intentions... Poor way of showing them.

Mods aren't the danm devil... And calling modders lazy isn't exactly fair. Sure better ways may exist, but how many of these modders are self taught, or self teaching, learning on the fly? you're a god danm company with teams. You insult your modded user base calling them.... Just no. Mojang and modding, are probably never going to get along... Not with it's close minded employee's. Don't insult the ones that cover your behind making a modding api for players to use while you make excuses saying you'll make something a little bit clearer later... If you want someone to use your instances, make it more user friendly. If you want something better than forge, make it rather than complain about it, and saying you could... And keep it up to date with every vanilla push you make on top of that.

Modding api will probably happen the day after hell hath frozen over.
I, er, kind of suspect that some of that is resentment that the modders are often more capable programmers than the official devs... *cough*

That's just my take though. Grain of salt.

(That and the fact that Mojang know that they NEED modders. Badly.)

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I, er, kind of suspect that some of that is resentment that the modders are often more capable programmers than the official devs... *cough*

That's just my take though. Grain of salt.

(That and the fact that Mojang know that they NEED modders. Badly.)
That's just it though... It isn't bad to need modders? Skyrim has modders, Bloody hell starbounds "well uh, let's just slip in a mods folder , and see if some folks take the bait... wink wink nudge nudge... Modders welcome." Any game can get stale after awhile.. Anything, but modding keeps a games blood coursing.. keeping fans interested. It does way more good than bad...

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
That's just it though... It isn't bad to need modders? Skyrim has modders, Bloody hell starbounds "well uh, let's just slip in a mods folder , and see if some folks take the bait... wink wink nudge nudge... Modders welcome." Any game can get stale after awhile.. Anything, but modding keeps a games blood coursing.. keeping fans interested. It does way more good than bad...
It's not bad at all, but it can get very frustrating very quickly when working with a lot of third parties.

Start with user base stupidity and work your way up; first ask yourself how many times a day Mojang has to deal with people being idiots and asking them for support with mods, when "they" are going to update a mod, so on and so forth.

Then add in the drama that often occurs in the modding world, which if Mojang again doesn't flat out get blamed for, they still have to deal with.

Add in the legal questions. Mix with the fact that it's always tough knowing how reliant you are on a random group of people online to keep your game in the spotlight.

It's a tough position to be in, no matter how good or bad it is. They're kind of at the mercy of a slew of factors they have little control over.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: Padfoote

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
From reading some posts by Mojang employees, it seems to me that when they say "mod", they are referring to jarmods, tweakmods, and perhaps coremods, and when they say "plugin", they are referring to Forge plugins (commonly called mods by the community, but not actually modifying any existing code) and Bukkit plugins.

Since, at one point (IIRC), they said that their goal with the API was to make parts of Minecraft itself plugins which could be disabled, it'll be fairly powerful and completely capable of adding content. And Forge, or something Forge-like could always exist to extend what the API provides, if it is insufficient.