Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Some words :p
People are allowed to use a mod or not, it is their choice.
People are allowed to discuss how they think a mod may work better or provide constructive criticism in respectful manners.
People should understand that whining does not change how a mod works, or what the dev will do with it.
People should be/become comfortable with the config options of mods they use.

This is not specific criticism for any of the discussion here (it has been very good as of yet :) thanks!), just notes to prevent degradation of it for the future.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
M

My point was that a mod should not mess with actual vanilla recipes or how they work in regards to uses of said tool of the durability. You want me to use your mod, let me get to it. Iron pickaxe in GT is ridiculous. You need 12 iron to make one pickaxe. 6 for the hammer and 2 iron per plate.

I will say that this is nothing compared to a certain other mod I've played, where an iron pick would set you back about 27 ore. Another conversion mod, and a damn good one at that.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I will say that this is nothing compared to a certain other mod I've played, where an iron pick would set you back about 27 ore. Another conversion mod, and a damn good one at that.
In my view, and it's certainly not the only one, Magic Farm 2 is a near-perfect example of how to do a conversion right.

Instead of increasing tedium (by adding materials/crafting steps) it challenges you to find new ways of obtaining the materials that you need to progress and increases the risk factors involved in that gathering. It forces you to think about a lot more than just "where shall I dig today?"

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SynysterBear

Jul 29, 2019
The ftbwiki.org is changing to include the AT Launcher wiki

Heyo /r/feedthebeast !

A small announcement: ftbwiki.org is expanding by creating atlwiki.net domain for our fellow /r/atlauncher users. Content is shared between two domains.

http://atlwiki.net/ATLauncher_Wiki

Basically, 2 different main pages - everything else is the same, one MediaWiki instance is behind both domains. One user database, too. Editing an article at any domain will be shown as an edit on both. A custom MediaWiki plugin was written to let the wiki have 2 main pages work as intended.

ATLwiki uses a different color scheme (green), but if you are a registered user, the wiki skin of your choice will be shown on both wikis when you log in. (Can be changed in Preferences tab). The wiki logo also depends on the website you are on.

Some of the pages have "set" urls. It means going to that page will redirect you to a certain site: either ftbwiki.org or atlwiki.net. This has been implemented for packs' articles.

As usual, we stick to our anonymous editing policy: you don't need an account to edit the wiki. However, creating an account means we can recognize your edits and promote to contributor (or even an admin ;0 ) if you are active.

Disclaimer: the atlwiki.net is an unofficial community-driven wiki. All the necessary permissions were granted by /u/RyanTheAllmightyregistered on the wiki ;)

If you have any questions - be sure to ask!

ostPavel, ftbwiki.org admin

PS As many of you have already noticed, we've added a "Did you know" section to the main page. If you press F5 and the fact doesn't change - that's because of caching, best way to solve the problem is to get an account.
- ostPavel

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/257cbr/ftbwikiorg_evolves/

Happened today. What does anyone think about it?

Personally I don't mind. I know some users at eh ATL forums are being crazy. (I won't name names)

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Happened today. What does anyone think about it?

Personally I don't mind. I know some users at eh ATL forums are being crazy. (I won't name names)
I've always had issues with the ATL forums anyway and quite frankly, not only do the two launchers use pretty much the same set of mods, we have more than enough wikis already.

SynysterBear

Jul 29, 2019
In my view, and it's certainly not the only one, Magic Farm 2 is a near-perfect example of how to do a conversion right.

Instead of increasing tedium (by adding materials/crafting steps) it challenges you to find new ways of obtaining the materials that you need to progress and increases the risk factors involved in that gathering. It forces you to think about a lot more than just "where shall I dig today?"

See that is how you do it properly. No tedium but more options.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind the atlauncher stuff being merged with the unofficial wiki, seems like a good idea to keep stuff kinda centralized if possible, ofc this is slightly undermined by the fact that we have two wiki's ourselves :p

SynysterBear

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind the atlauncher stuff being merged with the unofficial wiki, seems like a good idea to keep stuff kinda centralized if possible, ofc this is slightly undermined by the fact that we have two wiki's ourselves :p

Oh of course. Seeing as the unofficial one is still the first one that comes up when you google ftb wiki, that needs to be changed..

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Oh of course. Seeing as the unofficial one is still the first one that comes up when you google ftb wiki, that needs to be changed..

In order to do that, we need more people helping and using the official wiki.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
In order to do that, we need more people helping and using the official wiki.
Technically no, that is not necessarily true. There are ways to abuse Google's search priority system (can't remember the proper name). Basic explanation is that you need a large number of links to the given sight, and that gets it ranked higher, meaning it gets a better position in the search results. I think it is called Googlebombing but don't quote me on that.

Reactions: Padfoote

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Technically no, that is not necessarily true. There are ways to abuse Google's search priority system (can't remember the proper name). Basic explanation is that you need a large number of links to the given sight, and that gets it ranked higher, meaning it gets a better position in the search results. I think it is called Googlebombing but don't quote me on that.
SEO, basically.

Reactions: RedBoss

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

My point is, if we get more people using it, then it will hopefully move up in that list on its own due to people recommending it and it having content and quality that isn't found anywhere else.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
SEO, basically.

Exactly the phrase I was looking for, just drew a blank, so went with the next closest phrase. Although Googlebombing is usually associated with pranks and insults, like when the first result for "failure" was Geoge W Bush.

My point is, if we get more people using it, then it will hopefully move up in that list on its own due to people recommending it and it having content and quality that isn't found anywhere else.

That might take a year, or more if you let it occur naturally.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I like what I read in that blog post for sure. Are there really no magic based item sorting systems out there? Extra Utilities is about the closest thing we have right now I guess. I almost want to start of an instance with only thaumcraft and addons; it would be an interested balance thing. Maybe up the number of nodes in the world and such.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I like what I read in that blog post for sure. Are there really no magic based item sorting systems out there? Extra Utilities is about the closest thing we have right now I guess. I almost want to start of an instance with only thaumcraft and addons; it would be an interested balance thing. Maybe up the number of nodes in the world and such.
Botania has a flower that sorts things.
Golems are also able to sort very well.