Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
What we really need is a magic-based autocrafting system. It's the one thing in Magic World 2 I have literally no way to automate. :/
We have a thread for that: Suggest mods for creation here
And that said, maybe I should do some more work on the Spirit Constructs mod I'd been poking at. This seems like it's right up my alley... provided I can build an alley for you to send it up.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
What we really need is a magic-based autocrafting system. It's the one thing in Magic World 2 I have literally no way to automate. :/
Not going to lie Flipz, every time I see that you comment on this thread, I cross my fingers for no blue text :p We've done good as of yet though, for the most part :)
I do wonder if it would be possible to have the vanilla crafting handler work in world, a three by three settup of pillars with items on top of them...

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Dartcraft has autocrafting, might be worth a look,

EDIT: Factorization has the compression crafter as well and I always thought that FZ had a bit of a magitech feel about it (that might just be me though). @VapourDrive, might this be similar to what you were thinking of?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I will be honest, when I first saw Botania, the first thing that ran through my head was the PvZ credits song. And I was just thinking that mana-requiring plant-based mob deterrent systems would be a cool thing. Oh sure, the Tiger Lilly keeps creepers from exploding, and there's a plant that turns mobs against each other, but something like a pea shooter/repeater/gatling pea shooter/three-peater. If there's an API for Botania, I might well be inclined to write the PvZ addon. Which will, of course, also include other things for mobs to equip that players of PvZ might be familiar with.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Dartcraft has autocrafting, might be worth a look,

EDIT: Factorization has the compression crafter as well and I always thought that FZ had a bit of a magitech feel about it (that might just be me though). @VapourDrive, might this be similar to what you were thinking of?
Yeah, that is similar to what I was thinking of, never got into factorization as much as I wanted to. barrels and wrath lamps :p
I will be honest, when I first saw Botania, the first thing that ran through my head was the PvZ credits song. And I was just thinking that mana-requiring plant-based mob deterrent systems would be a cool thing. Oh sure, the Tiger Lilly keeps creepers from exploding, and there's a plant that turns mobs against each other, but something like a pea shooter/repeater/gatling pea shooter/three-peater. If there's an API for Botania, I might well be inclined to write the PvZ addon. Which will, of course, also include other things for mobs to equip that players of PvZ might be familiar with.
That would be the best thing ever; shoot the grid layout is even there already :)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
That would be the best thing ever; shoot the grid layout is even there already :)
Yea, but you aren't going to make the zombies follow straight lines. I was thinking more of a 3d version, where you'd plant your base defenses, then have a wave of spawns show up and try to get to you in your house. So you'll have to deal with lateral attacks as well.

Include such things as a zombie carrying a wooden door, because occasionally when they break one down, they hang on to it... bucket-helmet zombies to replace regular helmet wearing zombies, I don't know how to implement the miner zombies or the balloon zombies very easily... and Gargantor is going to be a miniboss type mob. Instead of a basketball vehicle thingie zombie, you could just use skeletons as a ranged attacker. Creepers instead of jack in the box zombies.

The plants that just shoot stuff is going to be fairly easy, it's very little difference from something like a dispenser shooting arrows, with each shot consuming x mana and has a rate of fire of y shots per second. Stuff like the Snow Peas shouldn't be too difficult either, that's just inflicting potion effects (slow). I don't think a Torchwood would work well, but we can make a flaming pea shooter that inflicts Burning for a few seconds.

In fact, now that I think about it, you have your basic pea shooter. Then you can upgrade your pea shooter to either a snow pea, a repeater, or a flaming pea shooter. Probably have an upgrade branch that increases damage per shot instead of rate of fire. So you've got a branching tech tree there for your projectile-based plants. Then as a separate tech tree, you've got the area effect and special effect plants that can do various things that aren't directly damage.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
There's no API for Botania, which makes it extremely difficult, and legally complicated as well. Without an API, I would have to deconstruct his mod pretty much to see how it works and tie into it. In addition to being a monumental headache, that's also kinda... shady.
Go message Vazkii then.

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
What about auto sorting, I don't play magic world but I've never heard of a magic sorting machine

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
There's no API for Botania, which makes it extremely difficult, and legally complicated as well. Without an API, I would have to deconstruct his mod pretty much to see how it works and tie into it. In addition to being a monumental headache, that's also kinda... shady.
Don't you mean shneekey? ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1399853763][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, stumbling around I came across this: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2363832-172-per-fabrica-ad-astra-geologica/
Wow. Not sure exactly what the general idea is, but this looks like it could become a massive awesome thing.
Any thoughts?

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Don't you mean shneekey? ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1399853763][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, stumbling around I came across this: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2363832-172-per-fabrica-ad-astra-geologica/
Wow. Not sure exactly what the general idea is, but this looks like it could become a massive awesome thing.
Any thoughts?
Ya this mod is awesome have been playing with it for months. Though I do not think a lot of people will like this because progression is hard. This also has amazing gregtech compatibility.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
https://github.com/Vazkii/Botania/tree/master/MODSRC/vazkii/botania/api

images

Last edited:

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say that it [gregtech] was stable, but 'pretty much' complete, the only thing missing being the multiblocks (you can technically get steel just through dungeon chests, but it'll take a while). Since he hasn't made it beta, this leads to the assumption that he has way more to add than was in previous versions of GT.
This came up in the update thread and I though some discussion may be worthwhile.
If I remember correctly, the rule of thumb that a lot of people follow if they put out public alphas is that they can be experimented in creative test worlds (disposable), but beta are the first release that can be tested in survival world (also disposable, not LP worlds). Release candidates are those which can be thrown into a world that you care about without too much trouble.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
This came up in the update thread and I though some discussion may be worthwhile.
If I remember correctly, the rule of thumb that a lot of people follow if they put out public alphas is that they can be experimented in creative test worlds (disposable), but beta are the first release that can be tested in survival world (also disposable, not LP worlds). Release candidates are those which can be thrown into a world that you care about without too much trouble.

These are all good definitions in general. I think one of the responders was also replying in a similar spirit. That entire line of discussion was actually very interesting to read (for me).

In case you did not know it already, the guy that made the original remark is actually (one of) the GT wiki maintainers, and a youtuber that regularly puts out howto videos for the GT mod. This leads me to suspect that he is privy to information that others don't have about the release and its "real" status, but cannot divulge in full until it is first released via the official channels. So, while he knows something we all may not at this point, he can only let us know via oblique references :D