Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
From what I have discovered, the AE2 ones are not added during game as an event but instead as structures in world-gen.
Even with meteors that happen in the midst of the game, if there are defenses it might be a fun sort of "Russian Roulette" twist to the game...
True. I haven't really looked into AE2 at this point so I can't say there. I removed MeteorCraft from my world though and if it weren't absolutely necessary I'd turn off AM2's meteors. Clutter bugs me and I hate having to build a shield, especially since it kind of precludes a lot of Forestry stuff.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedBoss

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Mwa! You owe me a new keyboard :)

Here you go.
computer-keyboard-full-layout.jpg

Reactions: PierceSG

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Hoping it adds less ores, some of them *cough* mithiril *cough* are cool but others are just annoying and seem pointless *cough*that one that poisons you *cough*
If they still follow the modular system, I usually just take out whatever modules I don't feel like playing with and enjoy the others. When the mod is really centered around weapons, there is no hard to disabling some/most of the ores.

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
If they still follow the modular system, I usually just take out whatever modules I don't feel like playing with and enjoy the others. When the mod is really centered around weapons, there is no hard to disabling some/most of the ores.
Never thought about that, but atm I don't have metallurgy in the pack I'm playing, will remember that for the future though

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Metallurgy definitely overdoes it a skosh. I really do like the concepts in the mod, but at least half the ores it adds are utterly pointless - non-linear progression and insane rarity of some ores means you just end up skipping half of them, their "mineability" table makes almost no sense and by the time you can mine a bunch there's no point to it.

Reactions: RedBoss and Pyure

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Metallurgy definitely overdoes it a skosh. I really do like the concepts in the mod, but at least half the ores it adds are utterly pointless - non-linear progression and insane rarity of some ores means you just end up skipping half of them, their "mineability" table makes almost no sense and by the time you can mine a bunch there's no point to it.

Even with RR's buffed versions of Metallurgy stuff, only four ores even matter: Celendil (or whatever it's called because it can get 100% protection theoretically), Adamanine/Atlarus (Tartarite is amazing) and Manganese (steel).

Reactions: RedBoss and Pyure

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Even with RR's buffed versions of Metallurgy stuff, only four ores even matter: Celendil (or whatever it's called because it can get 100% protection theoretically), Adamanine/Atlarus (Tartarite is amazing) and Manganese (steel).
And Manganese, at least, can be bloody well impossible to find.

Mind, I will say this much for the many ores; I do love the various decorative bricks you can make with them.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Some discussion:
In his post, CJ mentioned that he is intending on adding an ore-gen system that will make using rails and carts for mining worthwhile - any ideas what this may be?
I know personally, I really enjoy world-gen additions :) I found my first meteor from AE2 today and it was awesome!
That sounds really interesting, where did CJ say this? I am a big fan of Railcraft, and I love the idea of a long-haul distribution system with purpose. The homogenous nature of ore distribution means that in spite of a handful of biome dictionary ores, there is very little difference in setting up a mining operation in almost any 2 locations. If Railcraft did something to force ore deposits to clump together in clouds or veins in high concentration, while the rest of map had low density ores, I would love that so much. That should probably be a config option, because servers that don't want to encourage pvp over resources may prefer homongenous distribution, assuming that is what CJ has planned.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
That sounds really interesting, where did CJ say this? I am a big fan of Railcraft, and I love the idea of a long-haul distribution system with purpose. The homogenous nature of ore distribution means that in spite of a handful of biome dictionary ores, there is very little difference in setting up a mining operation in almost any 2 locations. If Railcraft did something to force ore deposits to clump together in clouds or veins in high concentration, while the rest of map had low density ores, I would love that so much. That should probably be a config option, because servers that don't want to encourage pvp over resources may prefer homongenous distribution, assuming that is what CJ has planned.
There are already the geode things in ocean biomes that have a higher than normal distribution of lapis, emerald, and diamond that RC implemented.

Personally, I've given up on Railcraft entirely. I might have been tempted to keep just the rails part and leave everything else, but it is extremely difficult to do that for a mod pack, so I've just gone ahead and walked away.

The problem with rail distribution systems is tesseracts and ender storage. The only reason to do it is because you are wanting to create a deliberate anachronism because you like how it looks. Mind you, I've got nothing against this, but it's just... meh. Damn not given.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
True, I just think that mods that do not have a previous 1.6.4 version should have one. I'm not saying they should keep updating it, just have a version of it for the earlier version. Like that vertical slab mod. I want to use it so much, but sadly I'm currently only using 1.6.4.
Can't FMP do that? Can't you just craft a handsaw and saw a block into half and place the half-block (slab) vertically?

Reactions: RedBoss

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Can't FMP do that? Can't you just craft a handsaw and saw a block into half and place the half-block (slab) vertically?
Sorry, I was giving an example and gave the worst example possible by accident, sue me. (Please don't)

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Were Vanilla Enderchests all that useful to start with?
They're blast resistant, fireproof, and if you have one nearby you have access to whatever's inside. Most players eventually put one in each of their bases, and on servers you'll often find them in shops (labelled as an ATM, because it's a good way to store resources and and goods for trade). But because the vanilla ender chest shows each player only their own private inventory, it can't be automated, and it requires silk touch to pick up intact or you only get the obsidian back. Those are its downsides, but they seem to be pretty big -- I rarely see anywhere with a vanilla ender chest on modded servers.