Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Still an addon, albeit a big one.

aawh :( I really hoped Gregtech would become a standalone, because it has so much content now, it could really become a standalone mod
plus if it's a standalone in my opinion I'd be totally fine with GT changing many things about vanilla and other mods aswell, as it'd count as a total conversion mod for me.
but if it's still an addon... well, IC2 isn't a total conversion mod so...

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
aawh :( I really hoped Gregtech would become a standalone, because it has so much content now, it could really become a standalone mod
plus if it's a standalone in my opinion I'd be totally fine with GT changing many things about vanilla and other mods aswell, as it'd count as a total conversion mod for me.
but if it's still an addon... well, IC2 isn't a total conversion mod so...
At this point I think it's just using some of the underlying IC2 systems as an engine in the interim until it has those systems for itself. Haven't had a proper look at it in a while but it does seem to slowly be getting closer to being standalone

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I believe you do have to use some IC2 machines to begin with, as well as of course power gen and cabling, but eventually you can just make it all with GT. Also, world gen is from IC2.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
At this point I think it's just using some of the underlying IC2 systems as an engine in the interim until it has those systems for itself. Haven't had a proper look at it in a while but it does seem to slowly be getting closer to being standalone
I believe you do have to use some IC2 machines to begin with, as well as of course power gen and cabling, but eventually you can just make it all with GT. Also, world gen is from IC2.

I really do hope it'll become a standalone mod soon, it has enough content to be worthy of becoming standalone and if GT really does go that way, you can really call it a total conversion mod and you know if you play with a total conversion mod, alot of things like mechanics and such changes, what was one of the big problems in the past with GT, where it started changing vanilla things and mechanics and from other mods aswell, even though it was just an addon for IC2

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
So I know that Thaumcraft 4.2 is probably going to have that samurai thaumium armour someone made, but I'm curious as to what else the update is likely to contain. Being that it's a closed beta and all that, I couldn't really dig up much information on it and since my last attempt at TC4.1 ended up with a memory leak courtesy Thaumcraft and Baubles, I'm giving it a little bit before I try it in a pack again. That said, since I'm currently working on putting together a little Eberron-like (magic/steampunk) themed pack, it would still fit wonderfully. So, anyone know and free to share what sort of stuff to look forward to?

On a related note, I'd be curious as to what folks would put in a pack like the one I'm making. The core list is pretty slim at the moment, with a mere Railcraft and Professor Flaxbeard's Wondrous Steam Mod (which may be a mistake, as it appears to be pretty beta at the moment, so suspicious of its stability) for the steampunk side, and Botania and Blood Magic for the magic side. Thoughts on anything I might be missing besides the obvious Thaumcraft?

C

chbachman

So I know that Thaumcraft 4.2 is probably going to have that samurai thaumium armour someone made, but I'm curious as to what else the update is likely to contain. Being that it's a closed beta and all that, I couldn't really dig up much information on it and since my last attempt at TC4.1 ended up with a memory leak courtesy Thaumcraft and Baubles, I'm giving it a little bit before I try it in a pack again. That said, since I'm currently working on putting together a little Eberron-like (magic/steampunk) themed pack, it would still fit wonderfully. So, anyone know and free to share what sort of stuff to look forward to?

Warp, which is side effects of bad magic or research that you do , that stays with your player forever. This is things like bad potion effects, blurred screen, and other bad effects to your player.

Energy system, where you stabilize a node, and then can draw energy from it, to use for different things. The more powerful the node, the more powerful energy system.

Awesome armour.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019

On a related note, I'd be curious as to what folks would put in a pack like the one I'm making. The core list is pretty slim at the moment, with a mere Railcraft and Professor Flaxbeard's Wondrous Steam Mod (which may be a mistake, as it appears to be pretty beta at the moment, so suspicious of its stability) for the steampunk side, and Botania and Blood Magic for the magic side. Thoughts on anything I might be missing besides the obvious Thaumcraft?
Steve's Carts maybe? Buildcraft and Logipipes seem like they would not be out of place in a steampunky environment to me also, but I am not sure if the latter is updated.

EDIT: Just remembered someone updated Pchan3's airship mod, it is found here. Fits in perfectly with steampunk.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

I recommend watching some of Quetzi's livestreams. he streams pretty much everyday and often streams from the Forgecraft servers.
he's currently playing the Forgecraft 1 server, so you'll often see some sneak peaks from upcoming content of mods.

Reactions: Wraithflay

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you do have to use some IC2 machines to begin with, as well as of course power gen and cabling, but eventually you can just make it all with GT
Actually, GregTech adds its own set of pretty much anything. You basically need IC2 for ores, rubber, and the base power system. Because of the ages that it added in v4, you don't need to use any IC2 machines ever.
I really do hope it'll become a standalone mod soon, it has enough content to be worthy of becoming standalone and if GT really does go that way, you can really call it a total conversion mod and you know if you play with a total conversion mod, alot of things like mechanics and such changes, what was one of the big problems in the past with GT, where it started changing vanilla things and mechanics and from other mods aswell, even though it was just an addon for IC2
I'd be fine with it being an IC2 addon if IC2 was more stable.
Flaxbeard's Steam Power Mod is fairly stable, and absolutely awesome. Keep it. Also add Witchery and Steve's Carts. SC + Railcraft is awesome.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft 4.2 and Botania Unite: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKP3D-ldt_9XeiVlr5lU-3r7eKP3-BxS2

This is HaighYorkie doing a play through of Botanica & Thaumcraft 4.2. Its a lot to watch and he hasn't gotten into too much new TC content, but he's the go to source for all things Thaumcraft outside of Azanor himself. When the mod becomes public, expect a good detailed spotlight that will be multiple episodes.

Last edited:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

As far as I understand it
Greg uses (and builds a lot of) the IC2 api.
-so gameplay wise its a total stand-alone; with native IC2 support.
but under the hood its still an IC2 add-on.

Actually, GregTech adds its own set of pretty much anything. You basically need IC2 for ores, rubber, and the base power system. Because of the ages that it added in v4, you don't need to use any IC2 machines ever.

In V5 Greg got his powergrid working (it can connect to the IC2 one), and added his own ore gen.