Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah, Railcraft has some pretty nice vanity blocks in it doesn't it? I'd forgotten since I'm in a magic-only pack and I never use Railcraft for its actual intended purpose. Doesn't help that I'm in 1.7.2 so there's several mods I was previously used to, but haven't been updated yet (hence the lack of Geostrata for example). Project:Red has never worked for me for some reason. Always crashes every time I've tried using it in the past, so I haven't been terribly inclined to try it again in more recent times. Did explore GeoCraft though, quite curious how it affects ore spawning and figured I'd give it a shot. The Basalt in it just looks pitch black to me however, I quite literally can't see the difference between any of the Basalt blocks added by the mod haha. Not sure what Infernal Bricks are from, is that TiC? I know Seared Stone is, but I actually removed TiC from my packs as it's just too much of a crutch for me. Too good! Wanted to actually use the tools from other mods for a change of pace, haha.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
I think I just found the most beautiful, perfect, useful, extra-ordinary, original, way better than anything mod!
Presenting....

Well, now you can not just force villagers to breed then melt them down, but you can mutilate them beforehand to grow new ones to turn into emeralds. Fun times. Now to just automate this with some auto activators.

Reactions: 1SDAN and Fixided

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
So uh, about those armor models I posted earlier. A little birdie has told me they might be coming to Thaumcraft soon...
You utter TROLL! How dare you leave that info with nothing else.

Good job! :mad::mad::)

I hope it does. Its an EXCELLENT model.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
TBH It's already too late. They start with the small things and then after a while they realise the things they've added don't gel too well with modpacks. This means they couldn't really add compatibility unless they removed some features. This is why mods should be programmed with compatibility in mind.
Porting something like the Aether to 1.6.4 is a great feat. Trying to add compatibility with that when you don't know what's going to break is nearly impossible. Coding is one step at a time, if you try to rush everything at once, you're going to ruin yourself. Baby steps.
And they're probably not going to have to remove features, just rewrite them. Nearly everything can be done with Forge, it just takes some inginuity sometimes.

Reactions: 1SDAN and Padfoote

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Porting something like the Aether to 1.6.4 is a great feat. Trying to add compatibility with that when you don't know what's going to break is nearly impossible. Coding is one step at a time, if you try to rush everything at once, you're going to ruin yourself. Baby steps.
And they're probably not going to have to remove features, just rewrite them. Nearly everything can be done with Forge, it just takes some inginuity sometimes.
They rewrote it, they didn't port it. Whilst rewriting it they've added features that prevent you from doing many things included in modpacks. When I say compatibility I don't mean Aether Bees, I mean the ability to install an additional mod with the Aether II and just be able to play it in its entirety. The Aether II dev team didn't think about other mods when writing it and that lead to things like the launcher, the adverts, the friends system, the dungeons and the whacked inventory menu. These are all things (aside from adverts) that hinder play with other mods because of the way they were coded. I'd much rather they had a disregard for other mods, but a wariness about them like The Eternal Isles has. The Aether II was designed to be played on it's own and shall forever remain that way, even if they add Aether Bees).

Good call moving the discussion here.

Reactions: 1SDAN and RedBoss

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
They rewrote it, they didn't port it. Whilst rewriting it they've added features that prevent you from doing many things included in modpacks. When I say compatibility I don't mean Aether Bees, I mean the ability to install an additional mod with the Aether II and just be able to play it in its entirety. The Aether II dev team didn't think about other mods when writing it and that lead to things like the launcher, the adverts, the friends system, the dungeons and the whacked inventory menu. These are all things (aside from adverts) that hinder play with other mods because of the way they were coded. I'd much rather they had a disregard for other mods, but a wariness about them like The Eternal Isles has. The Aether II was designed to be played on it's own and shall forever remain that way, even if they add Aether Bees).

Good call moving the discussion here.
Basically, it's another Total Conversion Mod, like TerraFirmaCraft or BTW. It's not supposed to be compatible with other mods, and quite frankly, we're all better off that way. Other mods would probably ruin the balance they're trying to make anyway.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Basically, it's another Total Conversion Mod, like TerraFirmaCraft or BTW. It's not supposed to be compatible with other mods, and quite frankly, we're all better off that way. Other mods would probably ruin the balance they're trying to make anyway.
True, but I can't help but feel it didn't need to be this way.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
So uh, about those armor models I posted earlier. A little birdie has told me they might be coming to Thaumcraft soon...

that birdie better not be lying...

RB0PJuJ.gif

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
As I just referenced here, BluePower is now available as an alpha. There are definitely going to be some opinions about that. Please stay within the forum rules when sharing those opinions. Thank you.

The blue parts look a little garish to me. Do you think anyone would be upset if I re-textured it to, oh I don't know, a nice red perhaps? :)

Reactions: Celestialphoenix