Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
..nothing makes me so special, everyone should have it at the same time, with exceptions of course. I'm fine with closed betas and dev versions out for testing for the author's freinds, but I will never tolerate a paywall beta.
...Yes, you said so before. Why the hell not? It's HIS mod. HE made it. HE coded it. HE implemented the features. HE and HE alone has the right to decide its distribution. As I said before, what's so bad about getting a little back for his hard work? And besides, just have some patience. He WILL release it to the public once it's out of beta. Good things come to those who wait, my friend.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
...Yes, you said so before. Why the hell not? It's HIS mod. HE made it. HE coded it. HE implemented the features. HE and HE alone has the right to decide its distribution. As I said before, what's so bad about getting a little back for his hard work? And besides, just have some patience. He WILL release it to the public once it's out of beta. Good things come to those who wait, my friend.
Wonderful. Now I'm going to rant about this on my blog, and then swear at my pillow, get on my comp, and get back to minetweaking. I sure as hell don't agree with you, and people will start hating me if I drop a section of the EULA here, so I'm just going to stop here.

Reactions: Zenthon_127

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
At this point people are going to just agree to disagree. Nothing more can really change.
On a new topic, have people played around with the new CoFH world gen json files? It legit doesn't get much better than that.

Reactions: jokermatt999

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Wonderful. Now I'm going to rant about this on my blog, and then swear at my pillow, get on my comp, and get back to minetweaking. I sure as hell don't agree with you, and people will start hating me if I drop a section of the EULA here, so I'm just going to stop here.

Quote away, but there's absolutely nothing in the EULA that says CJ cannot keep his beta builds private, or available to his donators.

Betas are not always public. You guys really need to squash this false belief. Like fast.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Quote away, but there's absolutely nothing in the EULA that says CJ cannot keep his beta builds private, or available to his donators.

Betas are not always public. You guys really need to squash this false belief. Like fast.
You can keep it private. However, you cannot charge money for a mod.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
its his mod, he can as long as he doesnt charge ingame.

edit: there is absolutely nothing preventing somebody from creating a paywalled mod/plugin/whatever. but it would be stupid to do so, nobody would use it. because servers.

Reactions: the_j485

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway, I'm going to shut up and wait for someone to criticize me on my blog so I can argue with them there without fear of being banned here.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

I fail to see how he's charging for it. Those who have donated get it a little earlier (and buggier), those who didn't get a full release with minimal bugs and all the features. He's not saying you have to pay money to play his mod.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I fail to see how he's charging for it. Those who have donated get it a little earlier (and buggier), those who didn't get a full release with minimal bugs and all the features. He's not saying you have to pay money to play his mod.
This is where both positions start to get shaky. On one hand, you cannot charge for a mod, on the other, does that apply to individual builds or the entire mod?

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway, I'm going to shut up and wait for someone to criticize me on my blog so I can argue with them there without fear of being banned here.
Don't hate the player. The EULA is aimed at servers, not modders. The code they write is their own. As a server owner, you may not charge for access to the mods or items, that's all the EULA is saying. I apologize for being the bearer of bad news.

Also this; 3rd section last paragraph.
BpjEODjCYAAsGLx.png

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
This is where both positions start to get shaky. On one hand, you cannot charge for a mod, on the other, does that apply to individual builds or the entire mod?

I think it's the entire mod, but I have no idea because A) I don't work for Mojang, B) I don't know law, and C) I don't think anyone actually knows. :p

Reactions: Not_Steve

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone who wants to continue arguing with me please message me for a link to my blog, as I'm not going to risk being banned to prove a point.
Also, with my lack of self-control, this is going to downgrade into a shitfest

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
Mhmm, that mod looks delicious. Is there a 1.7.10 version, in case I manage to get minecraft to work for 1.7.10