Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
his decisions have both brought people to his mods as well as driven some away.
That should happen with all mods...
Yeah. I want my animations too. But it's a downside I'll take for a 'cleaner', more efficient (and lighter on server load) energy system than MJ. I still cross my fingers for those animations I've seen in the past.
They just look really strange without 'em. I haven't experienced any issues with performance (server or client) when using MJ, so I'm not sure what everyone is talking about that. It kinda seems like Lemming said that there are issues with it, and now everyone is saying there are too.
I like the idea of them, but their price dwarfs every other sorting system I've ever seen. I like a challenge. I don't care for a GregTech-level 'challenge'. Everything in moderation.
They weren't intended to be used as a sorter, but they can easily do it.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
That should happen with all mods...

Which I agree, yet I see far less attacks on Reika and Rotary than I do on Tema and XU. Especially from those wanting a 'harder' Minecraft experience. And that's a bloody shame, as we shouldn't be seeing *any*.
They just look really strange without 'em. I haven't experienced any issues with performance (server or client) when using MJ, so I'm not sure what everyone is talking about that. It kinda seems like Lemming said that there are issues with it, and now everyone is saying there are too.

MJ is more server inefficient from a direct math standpoint. Many more calculations, mostly from the required idle draw and perdition. It's designed for an always-on paradigm, which conflicts with those that prefer on-demand systems which are, again, lighter on servers. It's not blindly believing. It's knowing how both function and knowing which is more server friendly. MJ is no Rotarycraft, but it's no RF either.
They weren't intended to be used as a sorter, but they can easily do it.

True. But I believe in using the right tool for the right job. Just because I *can* doesn't mean I *should*. Especially if it's not only more resource intensive to implement and also has higher server load.

Reactions: RealSketch

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Just because *you* don't see the performance difference doesn't mean it's non-existent. RF *is* less resource-intensive than MJ. That's currently fact.

I would like to see some numbers backing this. People keeping saying it's a fact, yet I've never seen a performance difference between the two systems.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
It's in the code itself. RF requires less calculations per operation. There isn't idle draw, nor is there perdition calculations. Less calculations == less resource intensive.

I'm aware of that, but I would still like to see solid numbers on just how much of a difference there is in performance.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Just because *you* don't see the performance difference doesn't mean it's non-existent. RF *is* less resource-intensive than MJ. That's currently fact.
I have a potato computer, and I can run MJ mods, RF mods, and EU mods. I don't see a difference in any of them, except that RF mods tend to have better graphics/animations/sounds, making them worse for performance.

Reactions: Padfoote

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I have a potato computer, and I can run MJ mods, RF mods, and EU mods. I don't see a difference in any of them, except that RF mods tend to have better graphics/animations/sounds, making them worse for performance.
Performance wise I don't see much difference between RF and Mj but EU crushes my system.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
less calculations == less gameplay value

Not necessarily true. A slightly more complex system doesn't necessitate that it provides more gameplay value. Just that the gameplay is different. Nothing less or more.

Is that the fault of RF itself or of those implementing RF, hmm?

RF has become the new MJ. The new popular power system, so it'll attract more mods. More mods means more variance in quality and efficiency. It's wrong to blame that on RF. Blame it on the mod in question instead.

Also, there's a difference between server performance and client performance. Those graphics/animations/sounds? Most, if not all, are client only. Doesn't effect the server.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Not necessarily true. A slightly more complex system doesn't necessitate that it provides more gameplay value. Just that the gameplay is different. Nothing less or more.

Is that the fault of RF itself or of those implementing RF, hmm?

RF has become the new MJ. The new popular power system, so it'll attract more mods. More mods means more variance in quality and efficiency. It's wrong to blame that on RF. Blame it on the mod in question instead.

Also, there's a difference between server performance and client performance. Those graphics/animations/sounds? Most, if not all, are client only. Doesn't effect the server.
I'm not blaming RF. The main mods that use it do have fancy graphics and sounds, apart from TE, which was only released this past week.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, power systems rarely hurt my FPS at all, even in massive setups. Botania does hurts my FPS, but it's cool enough to make up for it.

The worst lag I get is usually on servers. In particular, crazy Blood Magic and Railcraft (carts) setups are painful.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Which I agree, yet I see far less attacks on Reika and Rotary than I do on Tema and XU. Especially from those wanting a 'harder' Minecraft experience. And that's a bloody shame, as we shouldn't be seeing *any*.
There are less "attacks" on Reika because RotaryCraft doesn't appeal to the same audience (those who wish to have a realistic gameplay experience).
We've mentioned the number game in this last page... here's some more. Let us say that a popular mod has 10 000 active players. Out of those active players, 5% have a legit issue with something about the mod (I'm being very generous... I have an "issue" with half of the mods I play with). Out of that remaining 500 people if even only 20% decide to vocalize complaints somewhere that still equates to 100 people's complaints (not bug reports) over various social networks/forums. No matter how many people are perfectly content to sit back and contentedly play the mod, that ends up being "the big number" to the dev.

Edit:
CovertJaguar @CovertJaguar · 13m
Final Beta for 1.7.10 has been posted, baring any major issues, expect an official release in the next couple days.
Yay.
This irked me a lot. I even went looking for this "posted" beta; I was confounded until I remembered the Patreon thing. The patrons already know they have it... this is just an insult really :(. Takes some of the joy out of knowing that I'll be able to play it in a few days.

Last edited:

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
What I sure don't get is why people feel they need to disable anything they won't use. I mean, it's not like XU is invasive in any way. In fact, the only "worldgen" it adds is Division Sigils.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
This irked me a lot. I even went looking for this "posted" beta; I was confounded until I remembered the Patreon thing. The patrons already know they have it... this is just an insult really :(. Takes some of the joy out of knowing that I'll be able to play it in a few days.
Meh, this is the way I took it:

YAY! omfg railcraft is almost out of beta. A couple more days? Heck, I was expecting next week. This is great news!

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
There are less "attacks" on Reika because RotaryCraft doesn't appeal to the same audience (those who wish to have a realistic gameplay experience).
We've mentioned the number game in this last page... here's some more. Let us say that a popular mod has 10 000 active players. Out of those active players, 5% have a legit issue with something about the mod (I'm being very generous... I have an "issue" with half of the mods I play with). Out of that remaining 500 people if even only 20% decide to vocalize complaints somewhere that still equates to 100 people's complaints (not bug reports) over various social networks/forums. No matter how many people are perfectly content to sit back and contentedly play the mod, that ends up being "the big number" to the dev.

I wouldn't hesitate to also say it's because 'realistic Minecraft' crowd tends to be a lot more harshly critical than the more laissez-faire crowd. More likely to criticize mods harshly on their lack of 'realism' and their unbalanced nature by comparison to the 'realistic' mods. More likely to take mod-makers to task for not living up to their standards. That's been my personal observation over the past year.
What I sure don't get is why people feel they need to disable anything they won't use. I mean, it's not like XU is invasive in any way. In fact, the only "worldgen" it adds is Division Sigils.

Because some modmakers like tuning the balance of their packs. So the pack is an experience in and of itself. Agrarian Skies comes to mind.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

Or coarse that's those who have legit issues. There are also others who have simply gotten bored with mods as they are and want greater challenges. Those people will also complain.
These are often the tech savvy folks and the ones who have a lot of free time on there hands. They are also the ones who spend a lot of time on IRC and reddit for the same reasons. And if a mod dev spends any amount of time there they get a massive influx of the smart and board. And then we get nerf hell.
Of coarse if they were really all that smart they would just tweek the configs there own darn selves. And then the mod deves could leave things as they are for those who can't.

Reactions: SynfulChaot

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't hesitate to also say it's because 'realistic Minecraft' crowd tends to be a lot more harshly critical than the more laissez-faire crowd. More likely to criticize mods harshly on their lack of 'realism' and their unbalanced nature by comparison to the 'realistic' mods. More likely to take mod-makers to task for not living up to their standards. That's been my personal observation over the past year.

Because some modmakers like tuning the balance of their packs. So the pack is an experience in and of itself. Agrarian Skies comes to mind.
I agree with part 2, but not the first. I have yet to see anyone who is enough of an idiot to criticize a mod based on unrealism in a game made of 1m³ blocks. The simple mod tends to attract more of an idiotic mindset. I'm not attacking everyone who likes it, but look at any thread a youtuber has spotlighted. The thread quickly fills with idiots. They are there, but they don't often show themselves.

*Snip*

Last edited by a moderator: