Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
RWTema
za7avyby.jpg

"Trying out some more colored variants of blocks. Some hits, some misses. Thoughts?"

I like the sandstone one but all the others look god awful.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
RWTema just posted a tweet saying that people should learn how to use the NEI search mechanics... is there a version where the @mod search actually works?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
What do you mean "stay there long enough"? When you shift click the mod name the "@Mod.Mod Name" bit goes into the chat.

I think he's talking about the drop down, since as soon as the mouse goes off the menu it closes. Shouldn't be too much of an issue if your mouse isn't set to be stupidly fast, which mine is, so it's a bit of a pain for me.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
For ExU colored blocks, I'm not crazy about most of them either, but if you check out some of his other tweets, it looks like he made a system for automatically generating colored variants, even for texture packs. The test batch might not be immediately stunning, but I'm sure a system like that will be used for something cool by someone. He already has the dense ores textures auto generated, and I'm excited to see what he'll do next with texture generation.

Reactions: Mevansuto

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
For ExU colored blocks, I'm not crazy about most of them either, but if you check out some of his other tweets, it looks like he made a system for automatically generating colored variants, even for texture packs. The test batch might not be immediately stunning, but I'm sure a system like that will be used for something cool by someone. He already has the dense ores textures auto generated, and I'm excited to see what he'll do next with texture generation.
It's already been used by people. iirc, Caclavia did it with UE to automatically create a new dust based off of the color of the ingot/gem added to the game. I did something similar with Technomancy as well to prevent the creation of 50+ textures of different color variants that would all look the same. Instead I created 5 textures that were colored depending on the ore they represented. Texture generation is only so useful though. Just palette swapping textures isn't particularly useful for anything other than a rainbow of blocks that look good as a rainbow of blocks (ie. colored wool).

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the whole generated texture concept for things like ore dusts and such... but it feels like we are being cheated when it is used for decorative blocks... they just look gawdy really. ExU hasn't really been on my "play with" list for a while.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the whole generated texture concept for things like ore dusts and such... but it feels like we are being cheated when it is used for decorative blocks... they just look gawdy really. ExU hasn't really been on my "play with" list for a while.
I haven't actually used things from ExU since 1.5, I think.
What are people currently thinking about Biome mods? For me they were a huge part of the game up until 1.7 but I think mojang kinda stepped up their game... has anyone here played with this biome mod: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...ced-biomes-2-3-1-nearly-100-new-biomes-2-8-14 ?
Seems nice, but I don't really use biome mods anymore. I prefer things like ATG and BWG (mostly the latter).

Reactions: RedBoss
C

chbachman

I don't get all the hate against extra utilities. Everybody disagrees with basically every decision he makes. He gave us things like he builders wand, trash cans, ridiculous cobble gen, and many other things. He also gives us confit to disable recipes, or even the entire mod, which I wish other modders would do.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get all the hate against extra utilities. Everybody disagrees with basically every decision he makes. He gave us things like he builders wand, trash cans, ridiculous cobble gen, and many other things. He also gives us config to disable recipes, or even the entire mod, which I wish other modders would do.
He is openly against putting in config options, calling them "ticking bug time bombs".
Lets say there is a block that is quite powerful and requires energy to function. There most likely exists people who then complain about the block being too powerful and easy to obtain/craft and doesn't draw near enough power for what it does. There are a couple of options here:
-The author gives them an option to not play with that block anymore. Go ahead and disable that feature.
-The author asks for input on alternative means of crafting said block and considers community feedback, makes the power use configurable, and allows for configurable nature of what the block actually does. We now have options for recipes, power drain, usage, and likely can still disable the block.
-The author posts rants on twitter/reddit about people not being happy with his or her mod.

When the mod that you make boils down to being a shiny, uber-powerful, mod made completely for convenience and making aspects of the game easier it most certainly will appeal to the kind of audience that posts dumb bug reports. This is even more apparent when you have one of the most popular mods out there. I don't want any aspect of a mod I play with to be "ridiculous".

If you don't throw every single feature you can think of in one gigantic mod, stupid inter-feature problems are less likely to pop up.

Also - opensource solves some of these problems. (gotaa get that open-source plug in somewhere :p )

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
He is openly against putting in config options, calling them "ticking bug time bombs".
Lets say there is a block that is quite powerful and requires energy to function. There most likely exists people who then complain about the block being too powerful and easy to obtain/craft and doesn't draw near enough power for what it does. There are a couple of options here:
-The author gives them an option to not play with that block anymore. Go ahead and disable that feature.
-The author asks for input on alternative means of crafting said block and considers community feedback, makes the power use configurable, and allows for configurable nature of what the block actually does. We now have options for recipes, power drain, usage, and likely can still disable the block.
-The author posts rants on twitter/reddit about people not being happy with his or her mod.

When the mod that you make boils down to being a shiny, uber-powerful, mod made completely for convenience and making aspects of the game easier it most certainly will appeal to the kind of audience that posts dumb bug reports. This is even more apparent when you have one of the most popular mods out there. I don't want any aspect of a mod I play with to be "ridiculous".

If you don't throw every single feature you can think of in one gigantic mod, stupid inter-feature problems are less likely to pop up.

Also - opensource solves some of these problems. (gotaa get that open-source plug in somewhere :p )
Yeah, OSS is wonderful, but it still isn't helping me figure out my stupid base mod class. :p
EDIT: Yeah, the class is in, but I can't get how to do it. :p