Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Do you think it would be better if I were to create a sub-forum called "What's new in modded minecraft today" then people can create a thread rather than just a post and it can be discussed right there in the thread, thoughts?

That is a really bad idea. That would only diffuse the information again and make a massive amount of work for the moderators.
Besides the complaints are about discussions going on in the info thread. Not that we have no place to do the discussions.
We have the red thread. It works well. That much has very little need for a change.
And if people wanted to make threads about specific topics they could do that right in the mod discussion section. No one is doing that because no one wants to bother looking through a hundred threads.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
That is a really bad idea. That would only diffuse the information again and make a massive amount of work for the moderators.
Besides the complaints are about discussions going on in the info thread. Not that we have no place to do the discussions.
We have the red thread. It works well. That much has very little need for a change.
And if people wanted to make threads about specific topics they could do that right in the mod discussion section. No one is doing that because no one wants to bother looking through a hundred threads.
> No one
Hello. I'm fine with that. Also, there's a watch forum function that tells you of all new threads in that forum. This way, it'll work a bit like the current thread, you'll get alerts when a mod updates, and you can watch each mod update thread separately for discussion on that update. I, for one, agree with Captainnana's decision.
Also, you really need to cut down on your usage of the words no one. Every time you use those words, I will find someone who likes or does exactly what you just claimed no one would like or do. Stop using the words no one unless it's a fact and you know it. (e.g. It's impossible to create something out of nothing IRL)

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
> No one
Hello. I'm fine with that. Also, there's a watch forum function that tells you of all new threads in that forum. This way, it'll work a bit like the current thread, you'll get alerts when a mod updates, and you can watch each mod update thread separately for discussion on that update. I, for one, agree with Captainnana's decision.
Also, you really need to cut down on your usage of the words no one. Every time you use those words, I will find someone who likes or does exactly what you just claimed no one would like or do. Stop using the words no one unless it's a fact and you know it. (e.g. It's impossible to create something out of nothing IRL)

You mean you would enjoy looking through thousands of threads? Actually enjoy it? Not simply mind it or not care ether way but actually prefer it?
Cause you could you could go to each mod's thread individually and do the exact same thing. What's the point of making this thread just like the minecraft forums? Why would anybody come here in the first place?

Cause I wouldn't mind it ether. I would just ignore the additional threads and continue posting just like I was. As would most. I think.
When it comes down to it I don't think many want reading forum posts to be so much work.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
You mean you would enjoy looking through thousands of threads? Actually enjoy it? Not simply mind it or not care ether way but actually prefer it?
Cause you could you could go to each mod's thread individually and do the exact same thing. What's the point of making this thread just like the minecraft forums? Why would anybody come here in the first place?

Cause I wouldn't mind it ether. I would just ignore the additional threads and continue posting just like I was. As would most. I think.
When it comes down to it I don't think many want reading forum posts to be so much work.
I think you completely missed out on the watch forum ability. You can get an alert for each new thread. Thus, I get my alert every update and I get to choose to listen to the discussion or not, just like the RED thread and WNIMMT thread, but better organized.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Do you think it would be better if I were to create a sub-forum called "What's new in modded minecraft today" then people can create a thread rather than just a post and it can be discussed right there in the thread, thoughts?

in my opinion that wouldn't really help the problem we're having now. people want to have a place where they only can find the update news, and not the discussion around it.
creating a new category where people can create a topic for every mod update would become messy really fast, especially if people make topics of updates that have already been posted.

if the choice would be to create a new forum category, I'd rather have it so the current main topic gets moved to there, where people can still post updates in the main topic and discuss it, but people are not able to create other topics in that category. only a few people are able to create a topic in that category, and those people will create a topic each day for all the mod updates for that day that were posted in the main topic. these topics will be locked so only these select few people can add/remove/change information in that topic.

but this is only my opinion on this, I don't know how others think about it.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
in my opinion that wouldn't really help the problem we're having now. people want to have a place where they only can find the update news, and not the discussion around it.
creating a new category where people can create a topic for every mod update would become messy really fast, especially if people make topics of updates that have already been posted.

if the choice would be to create a new forum category, I'd rather have it so the current main topic gets moved to there, where people can still post updates in the main topic and discuss it, but people are not able to create other topics in that category. only a few people are able to create a topic in that category, and those people will create a topic each day for all the mod updates for that day that were posted in the main topic. these topics will be locked so only these select few people can add/remove/change information in that topic.

but this is only my opinion on this, I don't know how others think about it.
now THATS a idea. i would like to help, but i dunno if you guys think i am worthy. all the updates i find are already posted :p

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Hay I was looking at it and I have a question... why the heck isn't this thread sticky-ed?[DOUBLEPOST=1406966013][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just love how I seem to be the only one who knows about the Watch Forum function.

Is that surprising. Not many people go digging through a forums settings.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Hay I was looking at it and I have a question... why the heck isn't this thread sticky-ed?
Because of rule #1004 ^ 6: Reasons (TM)[DOUBLEPOST=1406966115][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hay I was looking at it and I have a question... why the heck isn't this thread sticky-ed?[DOUBLEPOST=1406966013][/DOUBLEPOST]

Is that surprising. Not many people go digging through a forums settings.
Sure, ignore the fact that it's in plain sight.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
now THATS a idea. i would like to help, but i dunno if you guys think i am worthy. all the updates i find are already posted :p

that's another thing we'll need to decide on, the team of people who'll be doing the update topics, and in what way we'll choose the team and add new people if needed.
but that's something for later, as we'll first need to get the basics done

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
that's another thing we'll need to decide on, the team of people who'll be doing the update topics, and in what way we'll choose the team and add new people if needed.
but that's something for later, as we'll first need to get the basics done
How they would even get nominated would be another. Nominate those who post is what the other update thread? With all the updates being posted in a locked thread who would post in that thread in the first place.
The only way that anyone could get added is by ether arbitrary decisions or by favoritism. There is no way for anyone to ern the right in such an arrangement.
And even if there was what perimeters would you set? News is to diverse to do that with. MIRC, reddit, twitter, forum posts, and streams. It all can have information in it.
Do we count every post as equal or do we arbitrarily decide which posts have more value?
And what's more who is the one deciding who gets to be in this group?
Even if you open it up to public voting there are bound to be people who get shafted because of personal opinions about them and others who get voted for the same reasons regardless of there abilities to what read and copy data?
If there is no real way to do this fairly it should not be done at all.
Besides one important fact that you are all forgetting.
The system we have works. It works because of the way it is set up now.
Because everyone decided to pitch in and work together all on there own for no reason other than they wanted to help. They didn't do it for glory or privilege and in fact might have never posted if there was ever the promise of such a thing.

The plain simple truth is that this thread was built by the community as a whole. And no person or persons has the right to take it away from them, from us.

Last edited:

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Anything beyond an offsite blog seems like an eventual exercise in futility. My opinion is to leave it as is or send it off site.

I do think a proper news sub-category could be good. Im usually against the fracturing nature of increased sub-forums but that seems a novel suggestion too. I mean there's not any clear distinction between content "General FTB" & "Mod discussion". The first could easily disappear and I'd see no real loss. But that's just my opinion and my years experience moderating forums.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
@NJM1564, PLEASE stop referring to IRC as MIRC. It's annoying when you know that that isn't the correct name, not to mention you're referring to a client, not the protocol.

I honestly don't nor do I care. That has absolutely nothing to do with that post so stop nitpicking.