Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
*Snipped quote*

I only have trouble with one or two mods. Can you guess where there deves said they hang out and get there balancing ideas from?

Last edited by a moderator:

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
They are also the ones who spend a lot of time on IRC and reddit for the same reasons. And if a mod dev spends any amount of time there they get a massive influx of the smart and board. And then we get nerf hell.
Of coarse if they were really all that smart they would just tweek the configs there own darn selves. And then the mod deves could leave things as they are for those who can't.

IRC and Reddit are not the only places that mod devs will get ideas for nerfs. Twitter, MCF, here, and servers they are on will contribute. And let's not forget actually using their own mod as the main factor.
I only have trouble with one or two mods. Can you guess where there deves said they hang out and get there balancing ideas from?

I highly doubt those locations are the only places they get ideas. They would have to never go anywhere else related to modded MC in anyway to not be influenced outside of IRC and Reddit.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Or coarse that's those who have legit issues. There are also others who have simply gotten bored with mods as they are and want greater challenges. Those people will also complain.
These are often the tech savvy folks and the ones who have a lot of free time on there hands. They are also the ones who spend a lot of time on IRC and reddit for the same reasons. And if a mod dev spends any amount of time there they get a massive influx of the smart and board. And then we get nerf hell.
Of coarse if they were really all that smart they would just tweek the configs there own darn selves. And then the mod deves could leave things as they are for those who can't.
Um. Have you been on IRC? Reddit, okay, fair enough, but IRC is just a chat... Most channels are either inactive or have off-topic discussion 85% of the time, tech support 5% of the time, and actual on-topic discussion for the remaining 10%.
I agree with part 2, but not the first. I have yet to see anyone who is enough of an idiot to criticize a mod based on unrealism in a game made of 1m³ blocks. The simple mod tends to attract more of an idiotic mindset. I'm not attacking everyone who likes it, but look at any thread a youtuber has spotlighted. The thread quickly fills with idiots. They are there, but they don't often show themselves.
Not all YouTubers. It's mostly the "lolsorandom" YouTubers that attract younger audiences, like Yogs and SSundee.

*Snipped quote*

Last edited by a moderator:

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Everything in moderation.

You rang? :)

...oh. Erm, I guess you didn't. Oh well, it looks like I'm needed anyway:

This thread is not an appropriate place to snipe at other members. For that matter, the FTB Forums are not an appropriate place to snipe at other members. For now, only words and posts are going missing. If this sort of behavior continues, it will be people.

You have been warned. Be Nice. See also, my signature.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
There are less "attacks" on Reika because RotaryCraft doesn't appeal to the same audience (those who wish to have a realistic gameplay experience).
We've mentioned the number game in this last page... here's some more. Let us say that a popular mod has 10 000 active players. Out of those active players, 5% have a legit issue with something about the mod (I'm being very generous... I have an "issue" with half of the mods I play with). Out of that remaining 500 people if even only 20% decide to vocalize complaints somewhere that still equates to 100 people's complaints (not bug reports) over various social networks/forums. No matter how many people are perfectly content to sit back and contentedly play the mod, that ends up being "the big number" to the dev.

Edit:

This irked me a lot. I even went looking for this "posted" beta; I was confounded until I remembered the Patreon thing. The patrons already know they have it... this is just an insult really :(. Takes some of the joy out of knowing that I'll be able to play it in a few days.
It made me re-evaluate my use of the mod. Patreon is cool. Closed testing is understandable. Putting a pay wall up is acceptable but I dont have to like it or respect it. Which I don't.

I only use Railcraft for the aesthetic stone blocks. I love the reinforced glass, but I find it silly that you need silk touch to get the block back. The recipe requires Iron and other things. But that's just me. It's not worth using the mod anymore to me. But again, that's just my view.

Reactions: Bagman817

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
It made me re-evaluate my use of the mod. Patreon is cool. Closed testing is understandable. Putting a pay wall up is acceptable but I dont have to like it or respect it. Which I don't.
It's a beta version for testers. Those testers happen to be patrons. I don't really see an issue with this. If it means a more stable Railcraft release for the rest of us, whatever.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
It's a beta version for testers. Those testers happen to be patrons. I don't really see an issue with this. If it means a more stable Railcraft release for the rest of us, whatever.
Except open betas is a standard in this community. Hell, there are mods without ANY stable versions out there that a lot of us use. What I normally expect is a closed beta, no beta or an open beta, not a pay-to-get-in beta.

Covert needs to get with the times. That kind of crap just ain't acceptable anymore.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Except open betas is a standard in this community. Hell, there are mods without ANY stable versions out there that a lot of us use. What I normally expect is a closed beta, no beta or an open beta, not a pay-to-get-in beta.

Covert needs to get with the times. That kind of crap just ain't acceptable anymore.
Why is it not acceptable? Surely he should be allowed to distribute his mod however he pleases?

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
They pay for it, it's them that should be annoyed.

Though seriously, it's a somewhat working way to ensure more dedication and reliability: if you've invested into getting the beta, you're less likely to want to post trolly, halfhearted, or plain stupid bug reports.

Reactions: PierceSG and Flipz

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
... It's his mod. He has rights to how he distributes it. It's not even the full mod. What's so bad/annoying about that?
Just because it's his mod doesn't stop us from being annoyed about his policies. While most other mods give us beta and in a few cases even alpha versions for absolutely free, RC betas only go to donators. It's the difference between what he's doing and the standard that's so annoying.

Although...
Though seriously, it's a somewhat working way to ensure more dedication and reliability: if you've invested into getting the beta, you're less likely to want to post trolly, halfhearted, or plain stupid bug reports.
This is true. There are certainly better ways to do it, such as closed beta.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Just because it's his mod doesn't stop us from being annoyed about his policies. While most other mods give us beta and in a few cases even alpha versions for absolutely free, RC betas only go to donators. It's the difference between what he's doing and the standard that's so annoying.

Although...

This is true. There are certainly better ways to do it, such as closed beta.
I still don't understand this. Why should he be made to follow the standard? Perhaps he wants to actually get something back from his mod? Is that so bad?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
He can do what he wants. Its fine. I personally find it off putting but that's a just a personal preference. I've got other qualms but its not worth mentioning unless it becomes a larger issue. I never intended to incite a rant.

Allow me to derail and talk about EnderTech and the awesome RD version of the Equal Trade focus. It is very awesome and brings a tech version of a must have building tool, at least IMO.

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Why do I disagree?
Because I can't pay for it. It isn't fair to those who don't have enough money or can't donate.
Also, it does not make a more stable release, an open beta would have more bugs reported because there are more people using it.
I'm far from the opinion that a paywall should be used, or tolerated for that matter.
Reason #Cookies I need to learn to mod: Removing all the donor-only features for my personal use.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Allow me to derail and talk about EnderTech and the awesome RD version of the Equal Trade focus. It is very awesome and brings a tech version of a must have building tool, at least IMO.
Also, if it adds Fabricators we have all of XyCraft back. Yay!

Only thing it needs is Unity textures. Although honestly EVERY mod could use Unity textures. :p

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Why do I disagree?
Because I can't pay for it. It isn't fair to those who don't have enough money or can't donate.
Also, it does not make a more stable release, an open beta would have more bugs reported because there are more people using it.
I'm far from the opinion that a paywall should be used, or tolerated for that matter.
Reason #Cookies I need to learn to mod: Removing all the donor-only features for my personal use.
... please don't take this personally it's just an example... but what makes you so special? He doesn't have to give you his mod. he can give it to whoever he damn well pleases, he worked hard on coding all of that. This kinda reeks of self-entitlement.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
... please don't take this personally it's just an example... but what makes you so special? He doesn't have to give you his mod. he can give it to whoever he damn well pleases, he worked hard on coding all of that. This kinda reeks of self-entitlement.
..nothing makes me so special, everyone should have it at the same time, with exceptions of course. I'm fine with closed betas and dev versions out for testing for the author's freinds, but I will never tolerate a paywall beta.