Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
A flat-out rip and reskin of the Quantum Armor, and a pallet swap for a reskin no less. Not much of a mod, and one that even if IC2 was open source would be killed in moments by any community.
I believe a fine example of this is already known, isn't that right @Vazkii my good man?
Oh, you mean the Resource Pack turned Mod?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. Doesn't surprise me that the IC2 devs shut it down, merely was surprised it was ever made. The pallet swap was horrid too.
I was actually talking about the Botania thing.
Was the first one Enderium Power Armor? Because it's still on tterrag's site.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I was actually talking about the Botania thing.
Was the first one Enderium Power Armor? Because it's still on tterrag's site.
Ah, same deal. Just Replace "IC2 Devs" with "@Vazkii".

As for the enderium power armor, it's gutted the bullshit UUM ripoff, so yeah, the IC2 devs got dick all against it now.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, same deal. Just Replace "IC2 Devs" with "@Vazkii".

As for the enderium power armor, it's gutted the bullshit UUM ripoff, so yeah, the IC2 devs got dick all against it now.
Neither of them died then.
http://mods.tterrag.com
still has a download.
Don't think he's still updating it, but there's still a download.
Boo tterrag.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
A flat-out rip and reskin of the Quantum Armor, and a pallet swap for a reskin no less. Not much of a mod, and one that even if IC2 was open source would be killed in moments by any community.
I believe a fine example of this is already known, isn't that right @Vazkii my good man?

Oh no. Someone made a mod that used simple recolored textures. Cause it's not like most if not all ores are done like that. People learn by copping others. Individuality takes time. And there could not be that many ways to make a powered armor.
Seriously this guy was probably a new programer modder and that was probably a new mod. I do know that he had development plans and would have likly made the mod significantly different than the original over time. It would have bin nothing to change those textures. A simple request from the IC2 guys to change them would have sufficed. But no they didn't give him a chance. And that isn't fare or right.
Young mod devs shouldn't be afraid to make something just because someone already made something like it.

It's not like the current IC2 mods can claim intellectual property. The current deves aren't the original ones who made that mod or that texture. Just because they have bin given permission to do what they will with that mod, though they haven't actually done anything with it, and they might have the right to shut others down douse not mean they should.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Oh no. Someone made a mod that used simple recolored textures. Cause it's not like most if not all ores are done like that. People learn by copping others. Individuality takes time. And there could not be that many ways to make a powered armor.
Seriously this guy was probably a new programer modder and that was probably a new mod. I do know that he had development plans and would have likly made the mod significantly different than the original over time. It would have bin nothing to change those textures. A simple request from the IC2 guys to change them would have sufficed. But no they didn't give him a chance. And that isn't fare or right.
Young mod devs shouldn't be afraid to make something just because someone already made something like it.

It's not like the current IC2 mods can claim intellectual property. The current deves aren't the original ones who made that mod or that texture. Just because they have bin given permission to do what they will with that mod, though they haven't actually done anything with it, and they might have the right to shut others down douse not mean they should.
Textures are nothing, but a outright code rip is a big something. And I believe @Vazkii has quite a bit to say on this topic. I know that IC2 is dead, but that doesn't mean it's okay to rip code from a mod to make your own, open source or closed source, a modding community does not stand for this shit. Ideas are cheap and that's fine. Textures are easy to make. Models, well, not a good thing to take, and code? FYAD if you steal code. Ask if it's fine, even if it's open source.

Maybe it's because I'm from a modding community that is based upon open source code, I know that one always asks first. Many people in the Minecraft community have never modded. I have, but for TES III, TES IV, and considered getting into modding for TES V, so yeah, I know better then many Minecraft players.

So unless you have modded, you aren't in a position to say what is or isn't fine. And even if you have, you're still wrong to think that all that was taken was the idea.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Textures are nothing, but a outright code rip is a big something. And I believe @Vazkii has quite a bit to say on this topic. I know that IC2 is dead, but that doesn't mean it's okay to rip code from a mod to make your own, open source or closed source, a modding community does not stand for this shit. Ideas are cheap and that's fine. Textures are easy to make. Models, well, not a good thing to take, and code? FYAD if you steal code. Ask if it's fine, even if it's open source.

Maybe it's because I'm from a modding community that is based upon open source code, I know that one always asks first. Many people in the Minecraft community have never modded. I have, but for TES III, TES IV, and considered getting into modding for TES V, so yeah, I know better then many Minecraft players.

So unless you have modded, you aren't in a position to say what is or isn't fine. And even if you have, you're still wrong to think that all that was taken was the idea.

You think IC2 devs diden't rip code from Minecraft to make there mod in the first place? All things are made by building on the work of others. Mojang could say at any time that any use of there code is against the law. But they don't. They only stop others if things get EXTREAMLY bad. That mod wasn't up for a day and it got shot down. It wasn't even out of alpha. Just because someone can go things douse not mean that they should. There is such a thing as common courtesy.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You think IC2 devs diden't rip code from Minecraft to make there mod in the first place?

Sure, there probably are a few things that are identical, but over 10% (much less 90+)? Highly doubtful.
There is such a thing as common courtesy.

Right, which is why ripping off mods (as in, code and textures) shouldn't happen. But it does, which is why we get all this legal talk and drama that occurs.

And that drama is what is going to occur here if this discussion continues, so can we all just drop it or take it to a convo?

Reactions: YX33A and trajing

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I stopped caring for this argument when someone said 'there' instead of 'their'.

Btw there's a difference between using a framework and ripping off code. Food for thought.

Oh im developing my own software i guess that means i have to rip off my operating system \o\

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I stopped caring for this argument when someone said 'there' instead of 'their'.

it probably was me right?

YyBcNgR.gif

Ahh, yea. Crops. I believe the mod you are looking for is Magical Crops.

it's similar, but it's not really a crops replacement.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Lookit this fancy fucker with a custom tag!

i want a custom tag :c

You talking about the "Over-Achiever" under his name? That's a new title, available to everyone with enough trophy points (except people with banners, like us).