Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I'm gonna get sued guise.

7be83dd6be.png
I wonder about some people.
For a legal battle, you need to prove that the other person used your source code without permission. Considering Botania's open-source, just about anyone can look through and see if code is copied.
Wish I could tell shamefm directly, I need to get a twitter.

Vazkii

Jul 29, 2019
iChun didn't get sued for the portalgun mod.

I can't see anything to worry about myself.

1381171589949.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1404929086][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wonder about some people.
For a legal battle, you need to prove that the other person used your source code without permission. Considering Botania's open-source, just about anyone can look through and see if code is copied.
Wish I could tell shamefm directly, I need to get a twitter.

That was on youtube comments, so even worse :p

boondockArtist

Jul 29, 2019
anyabuffybunniesgif_zps6f48520a.gif

They drop rabbit hide. 4 rabbit hide in a 2x2 grid yields 1 regular leather. and they drop their delicious rabbit flesh.
tumblr_n4g6xzzta91tsubfno2_400.gif

"Rabbits you say?" :y
((sorry completely unrelated and late but o well))

Anyway nuuuuuu suing. Silly whiners nothing's wrong with a lil reference in a mod. In fact it makes Terraria a lil more known as well ouo

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Intellectual property is a difficult thing. There's no concrete formula for it, only that it's obvious when it's really bad or completely irrelevant.

Code is nearly always criminal to copy (though, of course, some things are just mathematically identical). textures and art are sometimes okay if they are obvious references. Mechanics and gameplay ideas are the real "meat" of the argument, because they are a lot more universal and dependent on context (It's usually clear when someone outright copies)

You could of course, just be polite, ask for permission, give credit, and apologize if you offended someone. Maybe it works like that on the other side of Vazkii's portelf.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
They wont sue because it's irrelevant and petty. Irrelevant, because you're not making money out of this or claiming intellectual rights. Petty, because it's a small matter, an obvious reference clearly meant to complement the original and not to take any credit.

Reactions: Not_Steve

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Anti-Vazkii Master Race. \o\

can't blame the guy. most people like their minecraft to be a little less similar than high school. seeking out ermagherdplagiarists like a zealot is a bit too much like high school for most people.

if it's private, fine. a simple "X mod was found to have plagiarized" that's all that is really needed. but don't air dirty laundry, nobody wants to read somebody ripping another person to shreds. class, bro. class.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Some people don't realize how much other people regard their work, so they think they're jerks, egoist, or megalomaniacs. The key here, is that they start arguing on this basis (Hint: if you start your argument around how the other side is a selfish jerk, it's not going to continue with an understanding and considerate discussion)

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
can't blame the guy. most people like their minecraft to be a little less similar than high school. seeking out ermagherdplagiarists like a zealot is a bit too much like high school for most people.

if it's private, fine. a simple "X mod was found to have plagiarized" that's all that is really needed. but don't air dirty laundry, nobody wants to read somebody ripping another person to shreds. class, bro. class.
First of all there's plagerism and then there's straight up copying and recolouring content from another person's mod which goes from plagerism to taking the piss.
Second; -everyone- wants to see it and you're no different. Don't kid yourself.
Third; your methaphor is strange, confusing and scary to me,
and finally; class is something people need to have in pairs because being the bigger person sucks.

You walk away and then they get away with it.
At least these people fuckin' learn something this way. THAT'S high school.

Vazkii

Jul 29, 2019
seeking out ermagherdplagiarists like a zealot is a bit too much like high school for most people.

Such as? Give an example of me actively looking through mods religiously to find plagiarism? So far I can count two occurrences:
  • Thaumic History: I was led to check by people I know, since we were talking about stolen code one day and that just popped up, turns out it turned to be true.
  • Thaumic Darkness + Matter (same guy): I was sent a PM with proof of the fact that the mod was clearly ripped off from mine. If you go look at the thread, I clearly gave the guy the option to abide by my license (say I made it and we're cool).