Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
PFFFFF. Is it any good?
Do you like Firefox?
I have not seen much difference between the 2 even the start page of iceweasle thanks you for using Firefox.
That being said it might be that it updates more like the rest of debian but I don't know for sure.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
To me, a toaster is something you hook up to an Amiga to get television output.

(As in, broadcast studio quality television output).

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, skyboy plays/devs on a toaster. I think he may actually be on a Pentium 1. It's definitely aimed at helping low end systems.
I wish it helped. I tanked from ~30fps Fastcraft with machines going to 1fps with this new mod. I did remove fastcraft first.

Linkero

Jul 29, 2019
I wish it helped. I tanked from ~30fps Fastcraft with machines going to 1fps with this new mod. I did remove fastcraft first.

My results:

Server update time went up by about 10ms(not bad) but I reverted for now. Client's fps dropped maybe 10, if that. But the way the chunks loaded was insane! I had pretty good xray vision with it. Obviously mileage varies but I felt like I was cheating lol. I'll have to try it on my ladies laptop later since it has an amd processor compared to both I tested having intel's. All in all, I'll be keeping an eye on it and trying out the updates.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Xbuntu is also designed to run on 128 MB of RAM, and is a good alternative to Wheezy.

I'll wait for CoFH Tweaks to come out with something they'd call stable before switching from Fastcraft. No offense, but devs call something 'alpha' for a reason. Shouldn't be long before they have something they'll call release or at least beta.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Am I the only one that doesn't rely heavily on Fastcraft? Fastcraft tanks my performance, making the game totally unplayable.
the only time I was able to not use fastcraft was when I used the wasteland mod that was back then still for 1.7.2 on a 1.7.10 instance after that it became an auto include.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
just tested to make sure and I still need it
with it the lowest I get is 40 fps without it I am lucky if I get 23
also without it this happens
2015-05-02_14.19.16.png
2015-05-02_14.19.40.png
a strange discovery though that on the screen shots the fps is higher then when I play and ram usage is about 10% higher without it then with but it doesn't change that often. Also note my world uses different world gen and that there is indeed supposed to be void making unable to see certain pieces of land even more dangerous then normal

psp

Jul 29, 2019
What was actually changed that causes performance to be so bad on 1.8.X?
Sorry if this a dumb question, just wondering.

Edit:
@Padfoote just gave me my 333 like on this post.
upload_2015-5-2_20-21-57.jpeg

Sorry, I had to.
@trajing gave me my 334 like.
Look closely to see a 4-sided triangle.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14674-1383151956-4_preview.gif

Got more likes somewhere else, so look at this for 5 minutes while drinking a 6 pack of beer, then go drive a car to join the Illuminati.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-21148-1383214882-0.gif

Last edited:

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
What was actually changed that causes performance to be so bad on 1.8.X?
Sorry if this a dumb question, just wondering.
IIRC Mojang did some work to make the rendering pipeline more modern, but I'm not sure exactly what happened there.

Another change was using objects for block positions instead of integers. You'd need to create a new object and later garbage-collect it whenever you want to refer to a location, and anything that needs the XYZ coords needs an additional dereferencing operation. All of that means more work for the processor.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC Mojang did some work to make the rendering pipeline more modern, but I'm not sure what that actually did. Another change was using objects for block positions instead of integers. You'd need to create a new object and later garbage-collect it whenever you want to refer to a location, and that means more work for the processor.
Well, all I know, is the fact that my computer throws up and uses me as a punching bag when I try to play 1.8.

Reactions: RedBoss