Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
That^^^

Can you imagine trying to get around the real world if you could only see 160m in front of you at all times?
If I take off my glasses, I can't even see that far (clearly...) Makes crossing the road "fun".

I don't mind minimaps, but I'd love there to be a mod where you have to craft a gizmo that unlocks a minimap. So you start with nothing, make use of default maps, landmarks, etc, until you gather the resources & infrastructure to build said gizmo.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Too bad that minimaps obsolete vanilla maps and some related items from other mods such as OpenBlocks' map display thingy and Bibliocraft's compasses.

Btw, I like the lack of a minimap in Regrowth.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Too bad that minimaps obsolete vanilla maps and some related items from other mods such as OpenBlocks' map display thingy and Bibliocraft's compasses.

Btw, I like the lack of a minimap in Regrowth.
I think that Openblock's map thingy is still useful for decorational purposes. :p
On the other hand, I never got it working, so... (Help on that, maybe in a spoiler, would be appreciated)
I guess it's a matter of choice. Players who find that it makes stuff too easy probably also have the strength to enforce some honor rules and turn it off. Filthy casuals such as myself can have as much fun as they want teleporting to waypoints. ;)

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind minimaps, but I'd love there to be a mod where you have to craft a gizmo that unlocks a minimap. So you start with nothing, make use of default maps, landmarks, etc, until you gather the resources & infrastructure to build said gizmo.

I would love something like this. Or perhaps a mod that 'improves' Vanilla maps by allowing them to act as a mini-map so long as you're in the range that the map covers.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Too bad that minimaps obsolete vanilla maps and some related items from other mods such as OpenBlocks' map display thingy and Bibliocraft's compasses..

Eeh, to me, the vanilla map was obsolete the moment it was added. Its too small and contains too little detail to be of much use. I don't know about the other two, since the only things I use from OB are liquid XP related and I haven't really touched Bibliocraft.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Eeh, to me, the vanilla map was obsolete the moment it was added. Its too small and contains too little detail to be of much use. I don't know about the other two, since the only things I use from OB are liquid XP related and I haven't really touched Bibliocraft.

Haven't touched BiblioCraft? Heresy! There is so much good stuff there!

Here. Go here. Download it. Play it. Love it. ^.^

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
There was a bloody gorgeous mapping mod posted to these forums a while back that rendered the map, rather symbolically, in a book. Forgotten its name though :/

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
What about a minimap that only works in areas containing a special landmark multiblock? Like, it only unlocks if there's a landmark closer than 300 blocks. I want that.
That's actually a VERY good idea. Perhaps something that can be attached to any helmet, with compatibility with lots of other mods too?

How expensive should it be though? Perhaps not quite a beacon, but it should definitely need some diamonds. Maybe beacons could act as a more powerful version of the structure?

Reactions: Golrith

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
That's actually a VERY good idea. Perhaps something that can be attached to any helmet, with compatibility with lots of other mods too?

How expensive should it be though? Perhaps not quite a beacon, but it should definitely need some diamonds. Maybe beacons could act as a more powerful version of the structure?
I'd say some tiered versions of various valuable resources, with increasing range. Modpack authors could then use Minetweaker to adjust the recipes to match the resources & rarity values being used.
Perhaps being a "landmark beacon" it needs to be at a minimum height level to work too? So players need to make a nerd pole (or better)/mountain side to place the beacon on.

Would be amazing if it could somehow link to existing minimap mods and disable/enable the minimap accordingly.

Reactions: the_j485

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
minimap mods are a clientside thing. Trying to restrict them is futile. That said, I would like a minimap/mapping mod that (configurable hardmode option)

* only displayed the minimap UI if the player possesses a compass.
* the world map likewiseonly persists area if/while the player possesses a vanilla map that describes the area being mapped.

Reactions: SynfulChaot

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
minimap mods are a clientside thing. Trying to restrict them is futile. That said, I would like a minimap/mapping mod that (configurable hardmode option)

* only displayed the minimap UI if the player possesses a compass.
* the world map likewiseonly persists area if/while the player possesses a vanilla map that describes the area being mapped.
Perhaps also with a sort of map book which you can keep putting maps in ad infinitum? That way, nobody will moan about inventory space.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

One thing I have thought about is changing the beacon beam to always be rendered [and visible] regardless of distance- it'll be pretty neat for building waypoints in world.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Perhaps replace the minimap altogether and just have craftable waypoints?

Honestly, I would personally rather just build a tower as a waypoint and connect various points with roads rather than use a mod item as a waypoint.