Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
True, but I doubt heavily after that severe of a nerf that it will ever go back up to where I think it should be. Which is sad. I used to require it in my packs, and now I'm thinking about dropping it. Oh well.

ooey_GUI_good

Jul 29, 2019
Happened across THIS today and it really got me thinking about mod authors being restrictive with their content. The root of an author's power to restrict the use of their mods in modpacks is their right to restrict distribution, totally respect that. Now, with more and more authors choosing to put their mods up on Curse my question is, with the Curse launcher do these restrictions become moot since the one actually distributing a modpack already has been given permission to distribute the mod without restriction?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much, yeah. It's the only downside that I've seen to hosting on Curse. But honestly some of the points brought up in that thread are perfectly valid. Restrictive permissions only hurt the people you want playing your mods: The ones that will listen to your restrictions. People that will ignore your restrictions are the same people you don't want playing your mod... which your policy did nothing to protect against.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Neat. I'm still just getting my toes wet with TC but I gather zooming and the index/search are brand new features.

What are the scrolling research icons on the right for at the end there?
I'm thinking its a quick reference for aspect recipes. In the current Thaumanomicon you have to go back to the first tab and click the central icon for an aspect information list. This should save that step if aspects are searchable no matter the tab you're using.

Pure speculation on my part though.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm thinking its a quick reference for aspect recipes. In the current Thaumanomicon you have to go back to the first tab and click the central icon for an aspect information list. This should save that step if aspects are searchable no matter the tab you're using.

Pure speculation on my part though.
Now that you mention it, yeah, that would save a lot of grief.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Sneak peak at the 1.8 Thaumonomicon:
I love it already!

Looks like the new TC has a lot of the same stuff as the current version, which... isn't really all that surprising. I see what looks like the wand focus upgrader thingy in the background in that video... so it looks like he's still using the same wand-and-focus system as TC4. Curious as to what he'll do with research, though.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really understand why one of the most graphically-intensive mods out there is going to the most graphically-challenged version to date.
Maybe because Azanor wants to go back to some of the TC3 stuff, and mix it with some TC4 stuff, and add some new TC5 stuff... and doing that mid-MC version may annoy people

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Also because that GUI was a bit of a bear to use sometimes. He's actually listening to a LOT of feedback. It's a good thing.
While I wish him the best of luck with it in 1.8, I know I'm not alone in saying that it won't be enough to convince me to convert to 1.8. Even with several other authors moving over, I don't know that I'd be motivated to shift version considering I've literally never heard anything positive said of that version. As my computer struggles with modded 1.7 even with FastCraft, I suspect it'd have a conniption and give up entirely if I moved to 1.8, haha.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
While I wish him the best of luck with it in 1.8, I know I'm not alone in saying that it won't be enough to convince me to convert to 1.8. Even with several other authors moving over, I don't know that I'd be motivated to shift version considering I've literally never heard anything positive said of that version. As my computer struggles with modded 1.7 even with FastCraft, I suspect it'd have a conniption and give up entirely if I moved to 1.8, haha.

I ran a 1.8 server, I made 1.8 mods, and I created a 1.8 mod development system. I literally spent months with 1.8. Yet none of that has been enough to keep me interested in that version in the long term. Even the server is back on 1.7.10 now, especially since 1.8's was unstable. I just hope Azanor and iChun don't end up regretting the work they're putting into their updates, since both tend to make mods with a lot of visuals, and they're likely going to end up redoing it again come 1.9 based on what I keep hearing.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
I've gone back to Resonant Rise 3. I've got 203 mods going and a decently active base with minor AE. I'm still around 30-40fps in my base with stuff running.

I get the same performace in vanilla 1.8.

Needless to say I'm not interested in 1.8.
Eh, vanilla 1.8 doesn't perform too poorly for me. I get ~120 fps when I unlimit it when I have every option maxed out, compared with 72 unlimited in my beyond reality + reika mods pack, also maxed out. Since you can have twice the render distance in 1.8 than you can in 1.7.10 it's not too bad. Still wouldn't really want to go to 1.8 though.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Eh, vanilla 1.8 doesn't perform too poorly for me. I get ~120 fps when I unlimit it when I have every option maxed out, compared with 72 unlimited in my beyond reality + reika mods pack, also maxed out. Since you can have twice the render distance in 1.8 than you can in 1.7.10 it's not too bad. Still wouldn't really want to go to 1.8 though.
Yeah, but what's your FPS with max settings in vanilla 1.7?