Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

parcel31u

Jul 29, 2019
I actually suggested something like that when I was talking about suggesting more pack-friendly mod rules. I was called "psycho crazy" and was accused of infringing on free speech.

Remember when I going to base ME^4 around one of your mods and I asked if I could give out items are rewards and said no? That's when I stopped using all your mods.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Remember when I going to base ME^4 around one of your mods and I asked if I could give out items are rewards and said no? That's when I stopped using all your mods.
I do not remember this, no.

That said, had you given out any of the gating materials in RC as a reward - which would have been the only things I would flatly refuse, and even then it could be OK if you gated it behind producing it properly first - you would have terribly unbalanced the mod.

Last edited:

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I do not remember this, no.

That said, had you given out any of the gating materials in RC as a reward - which would have been the only things I would flatly refuse, and even then it could be OK if you gated it behind producing it properly first - you would have terribly unbalanced the mod.
But his pack is an hqm that doesn't follow normal progression for any mod because its a completely different challenge and partially story based.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
But his pack is an hqm that doesn't follow normal progression for any mod because its a completely different challenge and partially story based.
Reika's heard that one before. He is still within his rights to forbid modification of the RoC balance. This is what pretty much every argument of mine can boil down to. If I'm still arguing for it, they're within their rights.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Balance is determined by the goal.
I know. The problem is that any progression other than what I set out is either going to make progress in the mod impossible, or in cases of giving items, improperly gate the actual content, bringing back all the concerns over "where's the challenge, I'm at the endgame in an hour" or "This guy got a railgun and blew the hell out of spawn on the first day" that were so common in the early magnetostatic days.

People are continuing to stir a pot that is better left to settle. The post about the update was appreciated Reika, but for now people have to leave the topic of reika's permission policy, or update enforcement, or wall of shame out of this thread.
I am fine with discussing it, and I see no reason, as long as the discussion remains civil, that it be a forbidden topic. Indeed, forbidding discussions of certain topics is how concerns go unanswered and opinions fester. Also, any claims that it is a dead end and that no progress will ever be made are unfounded. That said, if a dedicated thread is desired, I am fine with that.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
https://mojang.com/2015/04/minecraft-1-8-4-security-release/

I haven't been paying attention, but is the consensus still set towards ignoring 1.8?
It is, whatever huge security issue they managed to hotfix in a single day may be forge patched for 1.7.10. I just really hope thayy whatever gets added into 1.9 stays mediocre enough that there isn't real incentive to update.

Edit to respond to Reika: I also think it is a legit thing to be discussed. I think people can keep things civil... But a separate thread is a good thing for when things pretty much inevitably delve into moderator thread locking level.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like the security patch in 1.8.4 came from the fact that the Reddit topic was huge rather than the severity of the problem itself.

Reactions: RedBoss

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
I posted it here because 90% of the people who know me know of it, and several, @SynfulChaot being the most memorable, have been strong critics of it. This seemed the most appropriate place to post it.

But f*** me for wanting people to know I made an effort to satisfy more, I suppose.

I still find it deplorable. Examples of individual users, even with their names hidden, don't need to be shown. Props for the name change, though. Improvement is still improvement.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Any details as to the changes? I know permanent Warp probably isn't going anywhere....which I hate.

Vis system is gonna be some hybrid of TC3 and TC4. Wands will charge directly from the aura like they did in TC3, so there won't be much point in having conversion wands in FM anymore.

I don't know any other details, but I know it won't be the TC4 I balanced my mod around. Nothing wrong with that. I just think trying to update FM to it would be shoving a square peg in a round hole.

Plus, I just don't want to work with 1.8. :p

Edit: Azanor did just happen to mention that he's removing the API hook to add new aspects while I was in the TC channel too, so that's another part of FM that wouldn't be relevant to the new TC. :p

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Vis system is gonna be some hybrid of TC3 and TC4. Wands will charge directly from the aura like they did in TC3, so there won't be much point in having conversion wands in FM anymore.

I don't know any other details, but I know it won't be the TC4 I balanced my mod around. Nothing wrong with that. I just think trying to update FM to it would be shoving a square peg in a round hole.

Plus, I just don't want to work with 1.8. :p

As a giant fan of FM and one who uses it *heavily* for the integration ... I'll miss Thaumcraft without it.

I don't see that that new system makes there be no point to having conversion wands, though. Even if it charges directly from aura passively, what if there is little aura in an area as you've been Thaumcrafting heavily already or you're trying to not overdrain one particular region? I had these problems with TC3 a *lot*. I could still see conversion wands being practical. Perhaps they would drain from your held orb/tablet if you have them in your inventory before falling back on aura?