Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Muse Euterpe

Jul 29, 2019
While I am aware of this we're discussing law over code, which is something that no one truly knows the answers to. In this case, however, Jaded appears to have been talking about Mojang specifically, not mods.
Depends on how you interpret it. We will probably never know what's legal or not on this topic. I'll ask jaded when she logs on IRC though.
You appeared about when Squid disappeared after being heavily involved in multiple drama filled arguments, you post about updates for his mods in the same exact format as him, you debate the same topics in the same manner, and you keep talking about events that have happened with Squid such as that IRC log. All of that evidence tells me that either you are Squid or you follow him to the level that TMZ follows celebrities in the United States.
Uhm, you can't prove it!... Maybe I work for TMZ... :eek:

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Apple sucks though.
*shrug* When my options are Google and Apple. I'm picking Apple. Better construction quality, better reliability, better performance, better security record, better privacy record, better apps. The only downsides are the walled app garden and lack of ease root/jailbreaking your phone... WHICH IS LEGAL.

On the mods can/can't dictate compatibility legally thing:
First: modifications are on seperate legal footing to standalone works. Second mods are granted certain specific rights by your agreement to the Minecraft EULA. Third, Jaded is not a lawyer; on a legal matter unless she can cite sources, she is NOT a reliable source (Mostly because legal matters REQUIRE someone involved in the profession to be a "reliable" source)

Barring actual citations to this landmark court case (which would only apply in its jurisdiction), I'm going to operate under the previous assumption which is "No you can't do that in a legally binding manner". You can try in the EULA, but EULAs are barely-enforceable and quasi-legal. They're becoming more and more legal thanks to precedent, but derivative/modifying works is still murky.

Which doesn't mean we shouldn't try and honor a mod author's wishes, just saying the street goes both ways.
Back on the original topic. One mod author shouldn't expect another mod author to subvert the core concept of their mod because it upsets their mod balance. It'd be like me complaining that shaft power is breaking my balance, or big reactors produces too much RF.

User choice should always be king because what is the point of making the game less fun for users when it's not going to materially affect the quality of feedback you get from the community? No matter what change you make, you're going to get negative feedback, so why go through the effort of trying to impose balance (especially exclusionary changes) where it's never really going to exist. Balance is a good place to start and aim for, but it's never a good place to LOCK US INTO. Your balance and my balance are different, and forcing me to use your balance in OTHER PEOPLE'S CONTENT is not something I'm ever going to stand by. I'm not going to like it if you do it to your own content, but it IS your stuff, if you want to put steel plates on the punching bag, it's your punching bag.

Reactions: chbachman

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Back on the original topic. One mod author shouldn't expect another mod author to subvert the core concept of their mod because it upsets their mod balance. It'd be like me complaining that shaft power is breaking my balance, or big reactors produces too much RF.
I am not asking Project E to subvert the core concept of its mod, just to allow me to have it not directly affect RC. That is not like saying shaft power breaks your balance, it is like saying "your machine that makes my item X breaks my balance". Asking for some way for fixing that is not unreasonable.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

psp

Jul 29, 2019
*shrug* When my options are Google and Apple. I'm picking Apple. Better construction quality, better reliability, better performance, better security record, better privacy record, better apps. The only downsides are the walled app garden and lack of ease root/jailbreaking your phone... WHICH IS LEGAL.
From personal experience:
"Better construction quality" - This is completely false and I shouldn't even need to say this.
"better reliability" - No.
"better apps" - Eh, in this day and age, not really.
"better security record, better privacy record" - Can't really offer anything against these.

Apples customer service - So shitty I can't even explain it
Apple is really just selling over priced crap that you can't modify or change.

Last edited:

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I like how this is pretty much a thread for discussions that are off-topic...
Errr... aren't we discussing recent events?
This is a thread for discussing recent events, like the issue with reika and projectE. Not for a debate about computer brands/operating systems that has been going on for years.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
We're getting off topic. If you'd like to discuss either of these two debates further, please create separate topics in which to do so.
Just for clarification, which two debates? There have been more than 2 topics in the past two pages.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Just for clarification, which two debates? There have been more than 2 topics in the past two pages.

PC Vs Mac. And ProjectE ones I think. Though I don't see hoe the PE topic is off discussion. Or even why ether topic has to be moved. This thread was quiet for weeks before those two topics were brought up.
This thread's topic is pretty open for interpretation. To the point that no topis should be off topic.
And I don't think that mod should have killed an active, interesting, relevant, and on topic discussion.