Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Changing recipes counts as changing behavior, and I have said numerous times before why these sorts of changes and/or skips are so much of a headache for me.
I acknowledge that but I doubt that StanH or SinkillerJ could be sued for something like that.

Muse Euterpe

Jul 29, 2019
Until I see something more specific, AFAIK they can't and there wasn't.
I don't know the exact case, but I have it from a reliable source.
jadedcat said:
Feb 10 16:22:03 <jadedcat> CoolSquid: courts ruled that game devs are allowed to set rules on content that modifys their game.
Feb 10 16:22:19 <jadedcat> so yes technically the company can, and a lot of companies do
The quote is from a discussion CoolSquid and jadedcat had on IRC.

EDIT: Removed unrelated message in the middle of the quote.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I acknowledge that but I doubt that StanH or SinkillerJ could be sued for something like that.
No, nor would I want to.

But people too often conflate legal with ethical with advisable, and act that unless something is actually illegal to do, noone has any grounds to criticize it, nor does anyone else have any right to try and stop them. I do not understand why, either; in the real world, people generally do not frown upon criticism of those who cause problems for someone else, but online, well..."anything goes".
It reminds me of this: http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1357

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Until I see something more specific, AFAIK they can't and there wasn't.

I couldn't find anything specific, my Google-fu is only so good, but are you seriously trying to make that claim in a world where Apple exists? You can barely touch the internals of your Apple device without violating some part of their EULA or, heaven forbid, one of their multitude of patents. Basically, if you so much as look at Apple the wrong way, you'd better have an arse made of iridium, because they're going to be kicking it into raw hamburger.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

I hate to say it, but Jaded is not a reliable source. A reliable source would be a lawyer that specializes in these cases or a direct link to the ruling on the case.

Reactions: VapourDrive

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I couldn't find anything specific, my Google-fu is only so good, but are you seriously trying to make that claim in a world where Apple exists? You can barely touch the internals of your Apple device without violating some part of their EULA or, heaven forbid, one of their multitude of patents. Basically, if you so much as look at Apple the wrong way, you'd better have an arse made of iridium, because they're going to be kicking it into raw hamburger.
Apple sucks though.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019

What is that even is that quote about Squdly? It's not even got any context? What is jaded saying game devs can do?

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Reactions: Elec332

Muse Euterpe

Jul 29, 2019
The context appears to change things. It now goes from devs being able to modify what interacts with the their mod to Mojang is able to control what happens with their game.

This is why the entire story is important Squid. Not having it changes things.
Mods are software too. Also, why are everyone calling me squid?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Mods are software too.

While I am aware of this we're discussing law over code, which is something that no one truly knows the answers to. In this case, however, Jaded appears to have been talking about Mojang specifically, not mods.
Also, why are everyone calling me squid?

You appeared about when Squid disappeared after being heavily involved in multiple drama filled arguments, you post about updates for his mods in the same exact format as him, you debate the same topics in the same manner, and you keep talking about events that have happened with Squid such as that IRC log. All of that evidence tells me that either you are Squid or you follow him to the level that TMZ follows celebrities in the United States.

Edit: Also the fact that that log was posted on Squid's github immediately after I asked for context. That alone is enough to convince me.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
would be hilarious if it was not actually coolsquid. Now I'm here hoping that that is the case.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
While I am aware of this we're discussing law over code, which is something that no one truly knows the answers to. In this case, however, Jaded appears to have been talking about Mojang specifically, not mods.

You appeared about when Squid disappeared after being heavily involved in multiple drama filled arguments, you post about updates for his mods in the same exact format as him, you debate the same topics in the same manner, and you keep talking about events that have happened with Squid such as that IRC log. All of that evidence tells me that either you are Squid or you follow him to the level that TMZ follows celebrities in the United States.
Not to mention posted links to Squid's github, which only a true squid would do

Reactions: Padfoote