Psi Discussion Thread

Vazkii

Jul 29, 2019
logo.png

http://psi.vazkii.us/

Psi is a mod about spell programming, inspired by Mahouka. This is a discussion thread, for discussing the mod. Have fun!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
It's a amazing piece of work, but I will admit it's not my cup of tea. Great way to teach how the game engine works, and as a result, game programming in general.

prodotes

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm already stuck... Now I know I didn't get a lot of sleep and stuff but I took numbers on tutorial 5... It explains that "constant" can't take "number" as an input but "number" can take both number and constant... fair enough... now it wants me to make a spell using "+"... fair enough... here's the problem... there's nothing that takes "number" as an input except for the operators...
explode, debug and add motion all require constants... and to pass the tutorial I assume you have to actually use the + operator in a spell, not just "have it there"... so... basically stopping my progress unless debug gets changed to "number" from "constant" :)

{spellName:"t",uuidMost:-7887054323648150065L,validSpell:1b,spellList:[0:{spellPosX:3,spellData:{spellKey:"selectorCaster",params:{}},spellPosY:4},1:{spellPosX:4,spellData:{spellKey:"trickDebug",params:{psi.spellparam.number:4,psi.spellparam.target:3}},spellPosY:4},2:{spellPosX:5,spellData:{spellKey:"constantNumber",params:{},constantValue:"0"},spellPosY:3},3:{spellPosX:5,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorSum",params:{psi.spellparam.number2:4,psi.spellparam.number3:0,psi.spellparam.number1:1}},spellPosY:4},4:{spellPosX:6,spellData:{spellKey:"constantNumber",params:{},constantValue:"1"},spellPosY:4}],uuidLeast:-5532081077072817000L}

edit: ok... so after looking at ALL the inputs and outputs I finally saw that raycast max takes number as input... So I repeated the explosion spell with an additional parameter that tells it that the max range of the explosion should be 10+10... that seems to be the "only" way to pass this tutorial... sigh... :)

{spellName:"t",uuidMost:2071206522946994853L,validSpell:1b,spellList:[0:{spellPosX:3,spellData:{spellKey:"constantNumber",params:{},constantValue:"2"},spellPosY:3},1:{spellPosX:3,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorEntityPosition",params:{psi.spellparam.target:2}},spellPosY:4},2:{spellPosX:3,spellData:{spellKey:"selectorCaster",params:{}},spellPosY:5},3:{spellPosX:4,spellData:{spellKey:"constantNumber",params:{},constantValue:"3"},spellPosY:2},4:{spellPosX:4,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorSum",params:{psi.spellparam.number2:3,psi.spellparam.number3:0,psi.spellparam.number1:1}},spellPosY:3},5:{spellPosX:4,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorVectorRaycast",params:{psi.spellparam.ray:2,psi.spellparam.max:1,psi.spellparam.position:3}},spellPosY:4},6:{spellPosX:4,spellData:{spellKey:"operatorEntityLook",params:{psi.spellparam.target:3}},spellPosY:5},7:{spellPosX:5,spellData:{spellKey:"constantNumber",params:{},constantValue:"1"},spellPosY:3},8:{spellPosX:5,spellData:{spellKey:"trickExplode",params:{psi.spellparam.power:1,psi.spellparam.position:3}},spellPosY:4}],uuidLeast:-5445925908942012305L}

Last edited:
A

Alachos

I've been testing the mod for a while, got to 20 in Vanilla by now, the only one that took me a while was "Operator: Closest to Point". As for direct things, it seems explosion projectiles don't always hurt entities if you hit them, which seems odd.

For opinionated things, I was surprised at the difficulty of hurting enemies or other players. The most basic way was explosion, which occasionally doesn't hit the entity. And further down you get Wither and Ignite, but no Instant Damage, personally the damage output even on the highest CAD's seems low compared to Explosion. More direct damage would be good, like strong fire, ice, or straight damage spells.

For ideas that I thought would be fun, perhaps having a way to make a spell split into more projectiles, or bounce sounded amazing to me. That, and a way to store or restore more PSI for more crazy stuff.

So far creating things has been pretty great, planning on trying to make a "water prison" spell next. But I digress, thanks for reading!

N

Nerum

If you try to give your self an item with the id "cad" your game crashes.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Mahouka koukou \o/ Even the CADs are there

I gotta take a look at this once I get out of school :3

ThomasRules

Jul 29, 2019
It's really awesome, if a little hard to get my head around :)

Some Ideas:
Some kind of marker block to interact with a specific point.
Chunkloader trick (makes maker chunkload, uses constant Psi - icon on the meter possibly)
Background loopcast bullet - run a spell in the background without the CAD selected and cast other spells (so extended item range, chunkload etc.)
Redstone trick (makes marker emit redstone equal to the value passed in)
Redstone selector (returns the value of redstone going into the marker)

Vazkii

Jul 29, 2019

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
For opinionated things, I was surprised at the difficulty of hurting enemies or other players. The most basic way was explosion, which occasionally doesn't hit the entity. And further down you get Wither and Ignite, but no Instant Damage, personally the damage output even on the highest CAD's seems low compared to Explosion. More direct damage would be good, like strong fire, ice, or straight damage spells.

For pretty good damage, try making a spell using Trick: Add Motion to launch entities into the air. It's basically an insta-kill spell for most normal mobs on the surface.

But obviously useless below ground. :p

Unata

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid to start on Psi, afraid I'll get to a boss fight and have that same annoying heavy noise (music??) in it as Botania does and can't turn it off, I only get up to that level and stop with the rest of the mod

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
My brother recognized the anime it was inspired by right off. I was confused by the differences in titles though. Found out he was right though when I looked it up.

I am really liking the mod. Though it is extremely hard for me to wrap my head around. He has gone back to the other mods he was working on.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
logo.png

http://psi.vazkii.us/

Psi is a mod about spell programming, inspired by Mahouka. This is a discussion thread, for discussing the mod. Have fun!
And so releases one of the few mods I'm interested in updating to 1.8.9 for, along with perhaps Intangible and maybe TC5 (though I don't see much change in versions there). You're makin' it harder to stay in 1.7.10 Vazkii... but that's okay, I'm looking forward to playing in a version that runs better (or so I hear!). Looking forward to messing around with this later!