Project: Feeding Eternal Time [Builder Applications Open!]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
Cool man, I think with how awesome this map sounds like its going to be you could release a beta version of the mod pack now, but I think you should wait tell you deem it ready for the general public before you release any version of the map. Just my opinion.

Umbra

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the update, i am really looking forward to this map. Just one question: Would this map keep the aspect of building machines, like any other modded Minecraft world?

I was wondering when this question would show up.

In regards to making machines, we wanted to make the map seem more adventure like overall, but there would be ways to make machines etc, albeit defeating the purpose of an adventure map, but in later stages of the map once players have more resources (as we are limiting what rewards and items you get through most of the play through, unless if you break the rule of breaking blocks obviously), you could very well have to make machines to get past certain stages, or even go to the effort of making some form of mob trap to get items etc, just as you would at the start of a standard FTB map. Or, it could even be the fact that at a particular point in the map, the weapons and armour you have, may just simply outweigh the aspect of making an IC2 factory for example, but it could be more beneficial to create some form of auto farming machine for food so you can survive dungeons etc.

Obviously, there would be in later stages of the map ways to make diamond/ore farming machines, but we wanted to try and limit this kind of thing in earlier stages of the map atleast, but, we still have to keep in mind that this is a map and pack that is derived from FTB, so there has to be a mod aspect to it at some point.

This is where our job gets quite annoying/interesting, as we want to make an adventure map, with tech mods, it's combining 2 separate 'worlds' into one package, and it's not always easy to do so.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering when this question would show up.

In regards to making machines, we wanted to make the map seem more adventure like overall, but there would be ways to make machines etc, albeit defeating the purpose of an adventure map, but in later stages of the map once players have more resources (as we are limiting what rewards and items you get through most of the play through, unless if you break the rule of breaking blocks obviously), you could very well have to make machines to get past certain stages, or even go to the effort of making some form of mob trap to get items etc, just as you would at the start of a standard FTB map. Or, it could even be the fact that at a particular point in the map, the weapons and armour you have, may just simply outweigh the aspect of making an IC2 factory for example, but it could be more beneficial to create some form of auto farming machine for food so you can survive dungeons etc.

Obviously, there would be in later stages of the map ways to make diamond/ore farming machines, but we wanted to try and limit this kind of thing in earlier stages of the map atleast, but, we still have to keep in mind that this is a map and pack that is derived from FTB, so there has to be a mod aspect to it at some point.

This is where our job gets quite annoying/interesting, as we want to make an adventure map, with tech mods, it's combining 2 separate 'worlds' into one package, and it's not always easy to do so.

I understand that combining these two things isn't easy, but i got a suggestion: Players should be able to get access to some kind of zone where they may place and break blocks as they want, making it possible to process items into quest items or just make tools. What I think is that a player should be able to make his/her machines there, and maybe put down his/her chests. I suggest that these zones may have different requirements to unlock and properties, like access to the sky.

ProCrafter_13

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that combining these two things isn't easy, but i got a suggestion: Players should be able to get access to some kind of zone where they may place and break blocks as they want, making it possible to process items into quest items or just make tools. What I think is that a player should be able to make his/her machines there, and maybe put down his/her chests. I suggest that these zones may have different requirements to unlock and properties, like access to the sky.
Well yeah you are right, BUT what if this map plays on a multiplayer server, the one area where you can mine for some resources, must have to be generated over and over again. Who knows griefers would destroy it maybe. I think this is one of the hardest parts in the map

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Well yeah you are right, BUT what if this map plays on a multiplayer server, the one area where you can mine for some resources, must have to be generated over and over again. Who knows griefers would destroy it maybe. I think this is one of the hardest parts in the map

These ores "generate" themselves, and I believe that servers would be kept private.

Umbra

Jul 29, 2019
Anything new?

Not really unfortunately.

I have had some feedback from the pack testers, and I hope to fix a few things in the next version of the pack, but I an currently waiting on Eloraam to get back to me about an error i am getting with RP2. Mattabase, I believe has been working on permissions for the mods as well, so we may be able to place the pack onto the launcher when the time is needed.

Other then that, I have been reading the comments on here about a player area.

There was an idea at the start of the map for players to be able to buy houses and live in them in the cities, but with the way the previous comments are, there could also be estates outside the cities as well, albeit very expensive and possible late game, but atleast there would be a specified area that i may be able to control with command blocks (maybe). Alternatively, at very late game, within the Mages guild quests, there could be a quest line about a lost dimension, or something of the like, and once this side quest is completed, it could give you a book to a void world with a house, or hell, even and FTB monument on it (hahaha :p), and that way players could have a secondary building area.

I don't really know at this point if it will be implemented, but it was just a few ideas that i had after reading the comments.

Other then that, not much really, the server is still down, as i am waiting on a definitive pack that can be used as a release candidate, instead of updating everything later. The map has however moved onto version 0.3, as I have updated it to 1.4.5, and removed some mod ores that were still on the map (as i missed them last time), as well as alot more buildings have been added including 2 working lighthouses.

ProCrafter_13

Jul 29, 2019
Not really unfortunately.

I have had some feedback from the pack testers, and I hope to fix a few things in the next version of the pack, but I an currently waiting on Eloraam to get back to me about an error i am getting with RP2. Mattabase, I believe has been working on permissions for the mods as well, so we may be able to place the pack onto the launcher when the time is needed.

Other then that, I have been reading the comments on here about a player area.

There was an idea at the start of the map for players to be able to buy houses and live in them in the cities, but with the way the previous comments are, there could also be estates outside the cities as well, albeit very expensive and possible late game, but atleast there would be a specified area that i may be able to control with command blocks (maybe). Alternatively, at very late game, within the Mages guild quests, there could be a quest line about a lost dimension, or something of the like, and once this side quest is completed, it could give you a book to a void world with a house, or hell, even and FTB monument on it (hahaha :p), and that way players could have a secondary building area.

I don't really know at this point if it will be implemented, but it was just a few ideas that i had after reading the comments.

Other then that, not much really, the server is still down, as i am waiting on a definitive pack that can be used as a release candidate, instead of updating everything later. The map has however moved onto version 0.3, as I have updated it to 1.4.5, and removed some mod ores that were still on the map (as i missed them last time), as well as alot more buildings have been added including 2 working lighthouses.
WOW A lot of work what you have to do right? Well I wish you good luck! So what are actually the mods you are going to implement? IC2, BC(?),RP2,... or are you going to kepp it as a secret?

Mr_Mojo121

Jul 29, 2019
would be nice to have a "museum" as such, an area filed with portals that will take you back to all the old versions of the FTB maps mabey have it so you can visit them in adventure mode and later have the chance to unlock them to play, by evan paying some sort of cost or unlocking them through a quest line as such

dont know if it would be possible or evan worth the time but i would enjoy the once i have hit the "end game" point of the map to have area where i can carry on plaything for further rewards and fun

johnny0306

Jul 29, 2019
Great work, Umbra and Co.!
I'm looking forward to the point when we all can test your work!
I have some question and probably an answer for one of it:
What are your ideas for the end-game, when all quests are done and you raided the whole world?
You allready wrote about the towny thingy and i thought about an arena with waves of mobs you have to kill. But are there any other ideas about it you have in mind?

Will it be a SMP-Map (i don't think of Co-op)? I mean is the whole system self sustainable so that hundreds of different players can make the same quest and there will be enough loot/mobs/whatever?

Fuubar

Jul 29, 2019
What are your ideas for the end-game, when all quests are done and you raided the whole world?
You allready wrote about the towny thingy and i thought about an arena with waves of mobs you have to kill. But are there any other ideas about it you have in mind?

Will it be a SMP-Map (i don't think of Co-op)? I mean is the whole system self sustainable so that hundreds of different players can make the same quest and there will be enough loot/mobs/whatever?

I'm not sure about how custom NPCs are handled, but tubestuff can be used to make the ore regeneration or a conventional reward system (well conventional for FTB) infinite. It could also be used for mobs if you stick spawn eggs (+ weapons for the mobs) in duplicators.

The problem I see is that I don't think there is really a way to balance something like ore regeneration time for a large server and single player at the same time. If you balance around a single player, all ore spots will be mined out nearly 100% of the time for a large server. If you balance around the large server, then a player could likely just sit at something useful/valuable and mine it repeatedly for a quick profit. You could trigger ore regen when a player enters the challenge, but that would allow a two man team (or man + blockbreaker team) to repeatedly trigger and mine the ores.

The closest idea I can think of for adjustable balance without a new mod, is running ore regeneration off of a single master timer using wireless redstone and local counters. Then it would be up to the server admin to adjust ore regeneration for the expected player base.

Umbra

Jul 29, 2019

In terms of end game not alot of it has been fully discussed between myself and Akabane, but I have thrown around ideas of once a final boss has been defeated (for example) it would unlock extra areas of the map, and as long as players follow the rules of the map, they wont be able to access these areas until this time. As I have mentioned once before (I believe it was in a livestream on twitch I mentioned it), there was going to be a town or a building for each mod author in the pack (not an easy feat i know), but i was originally making some of these areas available through the standard playthrough of the map, and others completely hidden, these hidden areas would all have side quests to them, and one of these quests you would only be able to complete after you have completed all quests in all hidden areas, and there would be a nice endgame goal for completing said quest.

That is the idea that i had, but it is unconfirmed if it will be implemented in this manner, as like i said, endgame hasn't really been discussed yet in full.

In terms of SMP, originally it was Akabane's idea to once the map was completed for Single Player for it to be converted into an MMO style map. We understand that there would be alot of alterations in quest systems, mob spawning and ore regen, as well as certain areas of the map having to be rebalanced etc, but, it was one of the original ideas that was thought of when we 1st came across the island that we are building the map on (on Nishtown's 1.2.5 server originally).

Fuubar said:
I'm not sure about how custom NPCs are handled, but tubestuff can be used to make the ore regeneration or a conventional reward system (well conventional for FTB) infinite. It could also be used for mobs if you stick spawn eggs (+ weapons for the mobs) in duplicators.

The problem I see is that I don't think there is really a way to balance something like ore regeneration time for a large server and single player at the same time. If you balance around a single player, all ore spots will be mined out nearly 100% of the time for a large server. If you balance around the large server, then a player could likely just sit at something useful/valuable and mine it repeatedly for a quick profit. You could trigger ore regen when a player enters the challenge, but that would allow a two man team (or man + blockbreaker team) to repeatedly trigger and mine the ores.

The closest idea I can think of for adjustable balance without a new mod, is running ore regeneration off of a single master timer using wireless redstone and local counters. Then it would be up to the server admin to adjust ore regeneration for the expected player base.
I was already planning on using the duplicator for alot of systems so they wouldn't run out of resources. it has already been thought of. And in terms of mob spawners it was orignally thought of that I would do dungeon spawners in this way (as I already have done this before on Nish's server in the arena that I created, which keep in mind, you can see on Flora's Let's play with Fauna, on Nish's Youtube channel, and Akabane's channel, and it was widely featured already with the systems that are in there.) The problem with this system is the fact that it is EXTREMELY computer intensive, and I wanted to cut down on this, so, instead of these systems, the spawners from Soulshards are planned to be used.

In terms of the ore regen. Yeah, thats how it was being designed with a single timer (it shows it in the picture), everything was controlled off one timer on the right hand side of the logic picture I posted in the long picture post of this thread.

Fuubar

Jul 29, 2019
I was already planning on using the duplicator for alot of systems so they wouldn't run out of resources. it has already been thought of. And in terms of mob spawners it was orignally thought of that I would do dungeon spawners in this way (as I already have done this before on Nish's server in the arena that I created, which keep in mind, you can see on Flora's Let's play with Fauna, on Nish's Youtube channel, and Akabane's channel, and it was widely featured already with the systems that are in there.) The problem with this system is the fact that it is EXTREMELY computer intensive, and I wanted to cut down on this, so, instead of these systems, the spawners from Soulshards are planned to be used.
In terms of the ore regen. Yeah, thats how it was being designed with a single timer (it shows it in the picture), everything was controlled off one timer on the right hand side of the logic picture I posted in the long picture post of this thread.

Sorry for the confusion Umbra, I was trying to answer Johnny's question about how ore and quests could be infinite and how balancing for both SMP and single player at the same time can be very difficult.

Also, I remember your awesome arena from Flora's video. It is one of the reasons I can't wait to play this map. I had forgotten about how many mobs a soulshard spawner can make.

I was interpreting your circuit design to mean that you had a controlling timer located near each regenerating ore cluster. If I was wrong, then feel free to ignore the rest of my post.

What I was trying to say is that you could run all of your ore spawns off of a single timer placed in a remote hidden room. Ore regeneration times would then be set as some multiple of this master timer using counters. This would allow a server admin to adjust ore spawns easily based on his server population. You could also just swap the timer in the picture with a wireless receiver and have a handful of set respawn times either based on ore type or the risk/reward level of a challenge.

I was just thinking it would be a simple tweak to avoid needing to adjust each ore spot individually if an admin wants to tweak his server based on population.

Umbra

Jul 29, 2019
Thought i might as well post this in here............:

Akabane has decided to start up a new Lets Play it seems, and basically, he is using the test pack V1 that was released to the testers to try out. For those who are interested in the pack, check out his video here:

youtube.com/watch?v=L3jUK6Z1yRw

There is also a little spoiler in his starting menu as he goes to create a new world, well, a little hint as to what is to come anyway *cough* Feeding Eternal Time V0.3

Have fun!!!!

RampantPanda65

Jul 29, 2019
Hardcore? Wow, I don't even play Hardcore on vanilla Minecraft and especially not when there might be zombies with full quantum...