Portal gun insane recipe

Do you thing that portal gun is insane recipe?

• Total voters

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Oh really? Do you have any idea how many skulls they had there? Do you have any idea how many combined hours it took who-knows-how-many of them to gather that many skulls? Besides that if you watch the video the person describes how, even he, feels that gathering resources should be less focused on and more about being creative with what you're given.
Like Computercraft. It was nice to have another mod that isn't just about grinding resources and more about creativity. Besides, it's not even that overpowered. Just let people have fun and teleport pigs..

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Oh really? Do you have any idea how many skulls they had there? Do you have any idea how many combined hours it took who-knows-how-many of them to gather that many skulls? Besides that if you watch the video the person describes how, even he, feels that gathering resources should be less focused on and more about being creative with what you're given.
SoulShards trivializes this.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I have 3 portal guns, 4 portal spawners, a half stack of ender dust and even an emancipation grid, I have not killed the wither boss these are all from normal exploration (or at least normal exploration with Ars magica installed lol). There are plenty of the guns and other parts scattered around the world in various chests in dungeons, I have adjusted just which dungeon chests can spawn the items but the option to do that is in the config so if you feel that they are not in enough world dungeons change it (I didn't put them everywhere but I did put them in a few more than the default, mostly ones that to me feel thematically correct)

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't killed one wither skeleton yet, so I have the feeling I'm not going to be obtaining a nether star any time soon. If I want to do stuff with a portal gun, there's no way I'm going to put that much effort into making one.
But I can see that the old recipe was somewhat too cheap for SMP.

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
And who says I use that mod at all? This thread isn't about the balance in the pack it's the balance of the mod itself.
Acutally a vorpal enchant from red power makes it not very painful at all to collect three. Me pointing out the wither farm is more about how easy it is to engineer the fight to be crazy easy. The only issue at that point is finding the skeletons, which it can at times be a little annoying, but a typical standard mob-farm can actually make that just as easy.

Also, soul shards will be changing how it does wither skeletons, if it hasn't already. Same with angry and villager zombies. Also, arguing the balance of a mod by itself here is a bit, well, awkward. If you only had portal gun installed, it would be incredibly hard to get. A beacon might be easier to make. However, in the mindcrack pack, it's probably no harder than keeping a batch of industrial grinders going, or in the dw20 pack its probably doable after you get your base situated.

I've always found it's hard to judge how powerful travel mods are. By themselves, something like mystcraft or portalgun are almost worthless, but get more and more useful when you need that travel for large tech projects. The portal gun developer seems to either expect you to use mods that make killing something like the wither much easier than vanilla, or expects you to dungeon crawl/explore enough to find them. Seems like he is at least getting close to what he considers a balanced recipe. Balanced in his eyes, of course, balance is in the eyes of config writers and coders.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
balance is in the eyes of config writers and coders.
Any mod author/coder who thinks that is, imo, a terrible modder. They should set a baseline but should never consider their word to be end-all-be-all. The person using it should be able to adjust the balance however they want.

neofrost01

Jul 29, 2019
Any mod author/coder who thinks that is, imo, a terrible modder. They should set a baseline but should never consider their word to be end-all-be-all. The person using it should be able to adjust the balance however they want.

You my little friend!... You've reached the point where I wanted to reach with this topic: The person using it Should be Able to adjust the balance However They Want.
nobody can never to look good to everyone and is something that has been discussed along different mods that some are very easy and others too hard ...
Modders could add different recipes: easy, normal and hard, the fact that I like to play more simple is not bad, and if you like playing in hard mode does not bother me, go and do it ... Just keep in mind that I also want to have fun
I hope that someday, the modders can reach an agreement and add a better custom configuration file;)

Thank you guys! HAVE FUN :)

One more time sorry my english, it´s not perfect

huldu

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't mean to bring this thread back from the "dead" but was wondering why they picked the portal gun over gravity gun? Portal gun is kinda silly and maybe even "op" in many eyes, even with the current recipe. Always thought the gravity gun was a useful but not really that op tool to move animals around.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Didn't mean to bring this thread back from the "dead" but was wondering why they picked the portal gun over gravity gun? Portal gun is kinda silly and maybe even "op" in many eyes, even with the current recipe. Always thought the gravity gun was a useful but not really that op tool to move animals around.
Eh? Only the supercharged one is "nerfed"(Some might argue getting hit by lightning is harder than getting a nether star)

The super charged one is pretty easy to grief with so yeah. Not to mention you can use creepers as bombs.

huldu

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't the gravity gun work in similar way to the portal gun but lacks the portals? Forgot about the "push" effect from the gravity gun^ Didn't really consider griefing... at all(lol), playing on a private server. Creeper bombs... nasty stuff right there. I mostly just used the gravity gun for moving villagers/animals around. Portal gun a little too expensive in the beginning to make for that purpose.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Doesn't the gravity gun work in similar way to the portal gun but lacks the portals? Forgot about the "push" effect from the gravity gun^ Didn't really consider griefing... at all(lol), playing on a private server. Creeper bombs... nasty stuff right there. I mostly just used the gravity gun for moving villagers/animals around. Portal gun a little too expensive in the beginning to make for that purpose.
Use the denerfer :)

But yeah it can push things away and what makes the supercharged great is it pulls blocks from range like the basic does for mobs. Extreme griefing.

huldu

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't want denerf anything, if the mod creator think it's fine then it is fine for me too. The wither isn't really that hard to kill but rather the time of getting the skulls, that's the time sink.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't want denerf anything, if the mod creator think it's fine then it is fine for me too. The wither isn't really that hard to kill but rather the time of getting the skulls, that's the time sink.
Have you tried the vorpal enchant?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

He's the one that made the denerfer because many people dislike the over-complicatedness of an item that loses it's value later on.
Have you tried the vorpal enchant?

IIRC it doesn't work on wither skele's :\

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
While I may find the newer recipie a little inconvenient, I don't have a huge objection to it. At least for the handheld device. I don't like the fuel option, but I think you can turn that off (on mobile device, unable to verify).
A handheld item capable of that, it makes sense that it would require an exotic/expensive item.

My objection (and suggestion for compromise) is that I don't think the same should be applied to the stationary portal spawner. It still needs to be expensive (like a previous suggestion, something like an ender pearl surrounded by diamonds or vice versa), but due to the more limited nature I feel it should be possible to craft these without needing the nether star.

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
Portal Gun 1.4.7v3
- Fixed error reading setting in the console.
- Fixed ceiling portal links putting the entity in the ceiling.
- Fixed floor portal links displacing the player too high.
- Fixed wall portal links setting the player too high.
- Fixed portals spawners being shown as a tool.
- Fixed zombies holding portal guns in the air.
- Fixed crashing with Block entities.
- Fixed Out Of Bounds crashing with Block entities.
- Fixed Weighted Companion Cubes not healing the player.
- Fixed Command info being cut off due to excess length of chat message.
- Fixed crash due to limit in mod chunkloaders hit.
- Fixed Mystcraft Portal duplication glitch.
- Fixed Single Coloured Portal resetting both colours.
- Attempted fix at complete loss of momentum when portalling to areas unloaded to the client.
- Attempted fix at stuck in ground issue when portalling to areas unloaded to the client.
- Attempted fix at Block entities getting being placed in the floor.
- Added option to allow only command executers to place portals on the moon.
- Added note for users who put modPartsDisabled as letters and not numbers.
- Added config to use the old PortalGun and LFB recipes, dubbed Easy Mode.
- Added “glow” to “glowy” parts of the PortalGun model.
- Made block grabbing respect block hardness, negative means no grabby.

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
I think that the old recipe was too easy, you have to do something epic to gain the power of teleport. I don't like the fact that there is fuel AND expensive recipe, in my opinion portal gun is balanced with the nether-star recipe, i don't see any need for fuel after you managed to kill the wither.
do you not remember enderpearls?