Portal gun insane recipe

Do you thing that portal gun is insane recipe?

• Total voters

neofrost01

Jul 29, 2019
I like to use the portal gun after a time to explore, looking for different resources ...
for me it makes no sense to wait very end of the game to can create it, because by that time I'll have my nexus age with mystcraft :)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You don't even need intra-linking books if you set up a Nexus age. Book to your Nexus age, then book to wherever.

Honestly, I never liked Portal Gun mod in the first place. Always felt it was incredibly OP. Mystcraft at least requires sufficient age-surfing until you net the Crystals spawn symbol.
Calling something OP is a moot point and using it as an argument for/or against a mod/recipe is a complete and utter fallacy. There is no objective overpowered or underpowered mod/item/etc. in minecraft. Not one. Not every person that plays, plays for the same reasons. Your thread about factorization is a perfect example; it would be called OP by many that only play vanilla. To you it is UP, nearly useless. If you feel it OP even with the new recipe simply do not use it. The FTB team and the modpacks they make or make available to you are not made so that you must play to a certain standard. They are made so you have environments where you can play to any standard you could come up with.

/don't care that off-topic for the most part

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Calling something OP is a moot point and using it as an argument for/or against a mod/recipe is a complete and utter fallacy. There is no objective overpowered or underpowered mod/item/etc. in minecraft. Not one. Not every person that plays, plays for the same reasons. Your thread about factorization is a perfect example; it would be called OP by many that only play vanilla. To you it is UP, nearly useless. If you feel it OP even with the new recipe simply do not use it. The FTB team and the modpacks they make or make available to you are not made so that you must play to a certain standard. They are made so you have environments where you can play to any standard you could come up with.

/don't care that off-topic for the most part
And the mod author, the final authority on what is OP or not, apparently agreed that it was OP, and made an appropriate adjustment to the recipe. What you, or even I, feel is irrelevant. Therefore, your entire argument is pointless.

In other news, I do play Vanilla. In fact, I've beaten most of the Vech's Super Hostile Maps, so please don't talk to me about 'mods are OP by those who play vanilla' unless you actually do, in which case clarify that you play vanilla and feel that way. In addition to being an appeal to an arbitrary authority, it is also more than a bit of an ad hominem argument.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
And the mod author, the final authority on what is OP or not, apparently agreed that it was OP, and made an appropriate adjustment to the recipe. What you, or even I, feel is irrelevant. Therefore, your entire argument is pointless.

In other news, I do play Vanilla. In fact, I've beaten most of the Vech's Super Hostile Maps, so please don't talk to me about 'mods are OP by those who play vanilla' unless you actually do, in which case clarify that you play vanilla and feel that way. In addition to being an appeal to an arbitrary authority, it is also more than a bit of an ad hominem argument.

And if the mod author continues to cater to only one party then I lose that much respect for them. Not to say that really means anything it's just there. Also both arguments are pointless.

First off I did not say everyone but it is a known fact that many vanilla players consider mods cheating. Second I did play vanilla once upon a time and when I moved to mods I loved them for the ease of it all. Many consider that overpowered. I feel there is no such thing in a game where I'm the only one playing. The same issue plagues today and comes down to people whining that there are ways to have any kind of renewable resource. Hell that is among vanilla players via cobble/sand/etc. generators. Again any kind of argument about something being OP or UP is arbitrary even when said by the author of a mod. If they modify their mod for such reasons they do it subjectively and cater to a specific group rather than as many as possible. As much as I dislike GT he does it right in that he tries to make it so he can cater to as many people as possible.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Too be honest we need to stop being so demanding/critical of the gifts these mod authors give us. By constantly pulling them to our own personal desires will ultimately end in something bland and tasteless should they give in to our cheap whims. The majority is not always right, and can be easily mislead.
Alas stands the reason my favourite mod of all time has remained my favourite mod of all time.​

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
There is no right or wrong in this. There are people who want different things. If you can make those two different things equally and easily available why wouldn't you?

The minority is also not always right either.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
There is no right or wrong in this. There are people who want different things. If you can make those two different things equally and easily available why wouldn't you?

Exactly. Neither side is right, and "over/underpowered" is always subject to one's personal beliefs. A configuration option to swap between easy/hard recipes would likely be the best alternative, since you could default to the hard recipe, and those that don't want it don't have to cheat or farm dungeons to have it. Then again, having only barely looked into Minecraft modding (I loathe Java beyond all other languages), I can't say whether or not making a recipe configurable or not is difficult. Its certainly possible, given that you can do so with GregTech...something I'm incredibly thankful for, because I find a lot of its altered recipes to be both pointless and tedious, and that's not the point of a good mod, to me. A good mod is one that adds to the experience of a game; it can make it easier, harder, or just different. However, if it makes the game either boringly easy or painfully tedious, I either don't use it or disable the overly easy/tedious bits of it, if at all possible.

Though, whether or not a configuration option is even going to be available is ultimately up to the mod author. Unless they don't mind you making a mod-of-a-mod to introduce more config options. If that's the case, and you got the know-how, then by all means, go right ahead. Only thing stopping you is yourself...that, or the utter pointlessness and tedium of Java, lol.

Reactions: Hoff

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
why it has to be a nether star? next time do it a dragon eggg + nether star!

no, now for real, i think is too expensive, and you should be able to choose:

useFuel: true/false
expensiveRecipe: true/false

in the config.

Reactions: neofrost01

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
You don't even need intra-linking books if you set up a Nexus age. Book to your Nexus age, then book to wherever.

Honestly, I never liked Portal Gun mod in the first place. Always felt it was incredibly OP. Mystcraft at least requires sufficient age-surfing until you net the Crystals spawn symbol.

I noticed for myself if I warp too much to different ages my game starts to lagg, so I like to keep the age-warping to a minimum

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed for myself if I warp too much to different ages my game starts to lagg, so I like to keep the age-warping to a minimum
Aye, same here. Tis one of the reasons my "nexus age" was just my base in the overworld. Portal to quarry world, hell, village world, crystal world, and glowstone world. I gotta say, though, I really do love MystCraft's portals. They can go anywhere, and (gasp) you can build them horizontally. The latter is a small thing, but I always feel like a badass when I leap into my portal to hell.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Aye, same here. Tis one of the reasons my "nexus age" was just my base in the overworld. Portal to quarry world, hell, village world, crystal world, and glowstone world. I gotta say, though, I really do love MystCraft's portals. They can go anywhere, and (gasp) you can build them horizontally. The latter is a small thing, but I always feel like a badass when I leap into my portal to hell.
Make a spartan-like hole that has a portal at the bottom that goes to another portal in a hole in another world going into a loop of portals of a giant hole.

/Is going to make that now

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
This only happens in SSP, as your client keeps the ages loaded. There's a config option to turn it off somewhere. (SMP servers normally unload empty ages)

You need a trapdoor, a lever and some burning netherrack.

I always line up my portals to be 1 block behind their destination, and have keep momentum on- Kinda feels like 2-way portals.

Next step- portal elevator for my base.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I liked the old recipe because it was one of the few mods in FTB/Technic that didn't require an entire new tech tree like IC2 or Railcraft or BC, it used vanilla materials and you could use it early on.. I hope he doesnt change long fall boots to be insane to get (even though they're even MORE op than portal gun).

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I liked the old recipe because it was one of the few mods in FTB/Technic that didn't require an entire new tech tree like IC2 or Railcraft or BC, it used vanilla materials and you could use it early on.. I hope he doesnt change long fall boots to be insane to get (even though they're even MORE op than portal gun).

IMO the long fall boots should have a durability on them isntead of a more expensive recipe.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
IMO the long fall boots should have a durability on them isntead of a more expensive recipe.

To be honest the easiest solution would have been giving the portal gun and the long-fall boots durability. Although the Portal Gun is a way better motivation to kill the Wither than a beacon...

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019

You already have the easy way. Just cheat the gun in. Your idea that:

Calling something OP is a moot point and using it as an argument for/or against a mod/recipe is a complete and utter fallacy.
.. is a complete and utter fallacy.

Do you realize how much time the people that actually create the code you are using consider balance? A lot. If a gaming system doesn't consider balance in design, then at some point it ceases to become the same game. We call that Creative Mode. The fact that you want the recipe at some "arbitrary" level of complexity beyond spawning it in directly means that you, too, are exactly subject to what you consider nonsense.

Arazlin

Jul 29, 2019
I dont mind it, its cheaper than the mystcraft link modifier (to travel around your age) ^.^

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
Well, considering the rate at which they appear in chests, just find a mine-shaft and go to town. Most likely, at least one will have a gun. And it's easy to balance longfall boots, just give them a config option to change their armor to 0.

MavericK96

Jul 29, 2019
I dont mind it, its cheaper than the mystcraft link modifier (to travel around your age) ^.^

Diamonds are more expensive than nether stars? I disagree. You can at least make diamonds via UU-Matter if nothing else. 72 diamonds or whatever for a link modifier is pretty expensive, but you only need one, period. For every set of portal frames or portal gun, you need another nether star.

I also think the current portal gun recipe is a bit OP. I would have no problem with it requiring more diamonds or advanced materials (iridium, etc.) but for the time you spend trying to collect nether stars, you could just max out your Mystcraft stuff and not bother with the portal gun at all.

IMO it's not a terribly OP device, all it really does is save you time, which is valuable to me. I'd rather be able to hop back and forth between a couple places quickly rather than having to waste the time running back and forth.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You already have the easy way. Just cheat the gun in. Your idea that:

Not everyone would like to take that route. Why did GT add in easier recipes? Because not everyone would rather just get all the old materials then throw them away and cheat in the item. It doesn't feel the same for everyone.

.. is a complete and utter fallacy.

Do you realize how much time the people that actually create the code you are using consider balance? A lot. If a gaming system doesn't consider balance in design, then at some point it ceases to become the same game. We call that Creative Mode. The fact that you want the recipe at some "arbitrary" level of complexity beyond spawning it in directly means that you, too, are exactly subject to what you consider nonsense.
Do you realize this is a game that is void of real balance? How would you go about and objectively define this "balance"? This is not a shooting game or a strategy where you're competing against other people; you're only competing against yourself. On a server that attempts to force player competition it is their job to modify recipes or disable them. People play this game for different reasons as well. There is no singular goal for everyone that plays minecraft as for those that play the type of game I mentioned earlier. There are those that only play in creative and build complex machines or simply beautiful buildings. Not to mention simply because you find the recipe arbitrarily easy to get doesn't mean it's the same thing for everyone. Do not attempt to build this game around one style of gameplay or you will leave out far more people than you include. How does it harm you or anyone else that wants to use the hard recipe to have an easy option?

Oh and fyi I code for a living so I do understand how much time and code goes into making the mod. I've also helped make games myself and I understand what time it takes to consider the balancing in certain situations. A sandbox game has no such limitations.