Portal gun insane recipe

Do you thing that portal gun is insane recipe?

• Total voters

neofrost01

Jul 29, 2019
I know that portal gun was overpower, but the actual recipe is insane to get the nether star, you need very time to defeat the witcher, however in dungeons is posible find a portal gun in a chest, after 3 hours looking for it and fight with skeletons, spiders and creepers I only find seeds in chests, I had chosen different recipe with fuel of course, or include a config file with the opcion to chance de recipe... :)

Why everybody is crazy for to do minecraft a hard game? Where is the fun?
I only want to know what do you think about it... :)

Sorry for my bad english
if I wrote something wrong, let me know ;)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The thing about the portal gun mod is that it was never intended for survival play. The author envisioned it as a creative building tool to make and play puzzle maps with. But a lot of people went and used it in survival play for the travel convenience and block transporting ability, and the author felt that the existing recipe was way too easy for such a powerful item. So he made the new one.

Nothing changes for creative play, but if you want to use it in survival, it's now a goal of its own to work towards and not just something casually done along the way.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm with Omicron here... the previous recipe was too easy for the game-breaking ability it had. If you don't like it, then cheat yourself in one with NEI.[DOUBLEPOST=1356548823][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm with Omicron here... the previous recipe was too easy for the game-breaking ability it had. If you don't like it, then cheat yourself in one with NEI.
I'd like to vote for Option 3: No, it isn't insane, and I like it that way.

Reactions: Carrington

neofrost01

Jul 29, 2019
I'm with Omicron here... the previous recipe was too easy for the game-breaking ability it had. If you don't like it, then cheat yourself in one with NEI.[DOUBLEPOST=1356548823][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'd like to vote for Option 3: No, it isn't insane, and I like it that way.

You have right, I forgot to write Option 3 LOL I´m sorry :)
Use NEI is increasingly tentative, but I don´t like it, I prefer to wait to Equivalent exchance and cross my fingers for transmutation to nether star
Right now there is a mod call Hostile Drops, its add a recipe to make the ns, olny need to kills ones creepers, sand, ghast tear and soul sand... Sounds funny :) I am going to test it

grindle2000

Jul 29, 2019
I just took the portal gun mod out completely the need for a neather star is way to expensive , by the time i get high enough to farm neather stars i wont need the portal gun anymore.

no big loss really it didnt add very much to the back and most of it functionality can be accomplished with other mods or devices.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
I think with ender fuel option it is not that op, even with cheaper recipe.

MavericK96

Jul 29, 2019
I think the new recipe is excessive, though the old one was pretty easy. I just cheated in a nether star and then created it legit otherwise.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
I just spent some time experimenting with the strength of the wither (never tried it before) and I have to say its absolutely retarded how difficult this thing is to kill. And to think that you have to kill one of these to make ONE portal gun?!? No way.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I just spent some time experimenting with the strength of the wither (never tried it before) and I have to say its absolutely retarded how difficult this thing is to kill. And to think that you have to kill one of these to make ONE portal gun?!? No way.
Depends on the resources you have available to you and what tier you are at when you make the attempt.

Going at it with iron armor, no mod toys, and no potions... yea, you are going to get your backside tanned. Going into it with a Quantum Helm trivializes the encounter. Going into it with Nano Armor, regen potions, and a mining laser makes it a fairly easy fight. Having a chainsaw or a nano-saber is going to also make things a lot easier for the second half. Having a jet pack or gravisuit also helps a bunch.

For a vanilla attempt, I generally want diamond armor and a set of potions, plus some milk to deal with the wither effect. An enchanted bow and diamond sword are also generally preferred.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The wither is an easy boss if you know how- it's (normally) harder getting the damn skulls to summon it in the first place.

(protip- summon it deep underground, it'll stop surface damage and it cant fly as high.)

As for portalgun? Instant duel wormhole generating device that works for free?
Just because its hard(er) to get doesnt make it worth any less awesome.

It just means every Tom, Dick and Harry wont have one from day 3- lagging up servers with open portals...

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I'm with Omicron here... the previous recipe was too easy for the game-breaking ability it had. If you don't like it, then cheat yourself in one with NEI.

It wasn't game-breaking to everyone because not everyone saw it as this arbitrary definition of overpowered. Again there really should be an easy mode recipe for it because for most people at the point you can kill the wither it has lost most of it's usefulness. If you want the game to be arbitrarily difficult and need to spend 5x more time just because then so be it. You can choose to do that not force everyone else to.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It wasn't game-breaking to everyone because not everyone saw it as this arbitrary definition of overpowered. Again there really should be an easy mode recipe for it because for most people at the point you can kill the wither it has lost most of it's usefulness. If you want the game to be arbitrarily difficult and need to spend 5x more time just because then so be it. You can choose to do that not force everyone else to.
Then use NEI to cheat yourself in a nether star to make your portal gun. Problem solved.

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, isn't as bad as you think, they are also able to be found in dungeons. I can accept that, if it's intended to be rare dungeon loot then it should be very hard to craft.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
on one side I think it's a justified recipe, because all in all, it's quite a powerful item, but on the other hand... I do like to use several portalguns at once so I can move quickly to different places.
but that can be solved by using mystcraft, just gather some diamond and gold, make a link modifier and use intra-linking books to quickly move places.
if I do need to pick up a block, I'll just use the gravity gun

BUT one thing that does bother me is the portal spawner recipe... it's quite expensive for 2 quite immobile portals...

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
on one side I think it's a justified recipe, because all in all, it's quite a powerful item, but on the other hand... I do like to use several portalguns at once so I can move quickly to different places.
but that can be solved by using mystcraft, just gather some diamond and gold, make a link modifier and use intra-linking books to quickly move places.
if I do need to pick up a block, I'll just use the gravity gun

BUT one thing that does bother me is the portal spawner recipe... it's quite expensive for 2 quite immobile portals...
You don't even need intra-linking books if you set up a Nexus age. Book to your Nexus age, then book to wherever.

Honestly, I never liked Portal Gun mod in the first place. Always felt it was incredibly OP. Mystcraft at least requires sufficient age-surfing until you net the Crystals spawn symbol.